OK now it might just be lack of sleep or me being an idiot ... ... RIM Handheld OS forum

skinhead81 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    254523AC

What Am I Missing???

Advertisement

OK now it might just be lack of sleep or me being an idiot ... but ... I'm trying to update my OS so I downloaded the latest from Blackberry, installed via the .exe and ran DM (after deleting the vendor.xml file!). Nothing happened. No updates. No software. So, I considered the option that maybe the one I downloaded was an "older" OS and downloaded the new 4.5 Beta. Did a successful back up, ran the .exe, started up DM and .... nothing!
    Any help all ..................

PS .... the only reason I'm doing this is because BB Media Player keeps crashing my handset and I've been informed the only way to fix this is by installing a new OS.

I have a Red 8310 on O2-UK and have installed countless OS versions on my 8700 and 8100 handsets in the past so I really hope someone, somewhere can help with this.

Thanks all
    "Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body"

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    OK---did you run the app loader, or just start the DM? (silly question, but have to ask)....restart your computer and try again

Also---the OS you downloaded---it's for your phone right? You have the 8310's OS...not the 8300 or the 8320?
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

tylerscott20 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Did you delete the vendor.xml file???

skinhead81 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    254523AC
    Quote Originally Posted by skinhead81 View Post
    OK now it might just be lack of sleep

I deleted the vendor.xml before installing the new OS forgetting that it was going to dump a brand new one in it's place.
    Thanks both for your responses.
    "Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body"

chadzworld no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2464E6DD
    Did you make sure all versions of other OS's are removed from your pc? If not you need to remove them and start over.

Medic no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsNowOrNever View Post
    OK---did you run the app loader, or just start the DM? (silly question, but have to ask)....restart your computer and try again

Also---the OS you downloaded---it's for your phone right? You have the 8310's OS...not the 8300 or the 8320?

everytime i have installed a new OS to the computer, the first time i open DM and have my device connected, it automatically tells me my software needs to be updated. i dont need to open the app loader bc it does it by itself
    Sorrow is tranquility remembered in emotion.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic View Post
    everytime i have installed a new OS to the computer, the first time i open DM and have my device connected, it automatically tells me my software needs to be updated. i dont need to open the app loader bc it does it by itself
    Doesn't always happen this way. I have several times had to start the apploader for the new os to be recognized.

lexo no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by skinhead81 View Post
    OK now it might just be lack of sleep or me being an idiot ... but ... I'm trying to update my OS so I downloaded the latest from Blackberry, installed via the .exe and ran DM (after deleting the vendor.xml file!). Nothing happened. No updates. No software. So, I considered the option that maybe the one I downloaded was an "older" OS and downloaded the new 4.5 Beta. Did a successful back up, ran the .exe, started up DM and .... nothing!
    Any help all ..................

PS .... the only reason I'm doing this is because BB Media Player keeps crashing my handset and I've been informed the only way to fix this is by installing a new OS.

I have a Red 8310 on O2-UK and have installed countless OS versions on my 8700 and 8100 handsets in the past so I really hope someone, somewhere can help with this.

Thanks all
    i don't think it's lack of sleep!lolJ/k this actualy also happend to me and it ended up being a bad os that the media manager never recognized so maybe try downloading it from another place hope thiz helps!

Medic no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    Quote Originally Posted by DCookSta View Post
    Doesn't always happen this way. I have several times had to start the apploader for the new os to be recognized.

but what version of dm are you using?
    Sorrow is tranquility remembered in emotion.

mcawthon2004 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    313d77b4
    yeah im experiencing the same thing cause i was at 4.2 and downloaded the 4.3 from the bb site and installed and it doesnt say update needed so now i am installing the 4.5os to see if it will work but just wondering if i am doing everything right

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic View Post
    but what version of dm are you using?