HI I have two 8700G's with old software on them. I am using the latest ... RIM Handheld OS forum

mushroomit no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Update just wont work.

Advertisement

HI
    I have two 8700G's with old software on them. I am using the latest desktop software and have applied the latest carrier software to it. When I plug the handset in, it knows the software is older and asks if I want to upgrade, I say yes. It doesnt work.

I have tried wiping the handset, reinstalling all software to my desktop (XP Pro SP2), wiping with javaloader, using different USB ports and cables but the issue is exactly the same each time with both handsets. When the Application loader loads, it sits on "connect to the device ROM" and the "Uploading RAM image" progress bar has finished. It will sit like this for hours and not change. I have followed the instructions for reinstalling when the handset wont boot (even though it will) as well but nothing works.

Does anyone have "the magic bullet" here to get this started?

Thanks
    Ben

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Update just wont work.

Man, if wiping with javaloader didn't cure it, you DO have a problem on your hands!

I came across some command line switches for the Application Loader here. Try running:
    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Loader.exe" /defaultusb /forceload

Frankly, I don't think that's going to help.

Alternatively, try some other version and rename vendor.xml (under C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader) so it will install on your devices. Go here for a complete list of download sites. The 8700g will only supports version 4.1 firmware (I wouldn't try 4.2 on it!). For a list of software versions, go here.

One other thought (and this may be totally off base). Maybe the devices are protected by IT Policy which I don't think EVER goes away! Try the procedure here to clear all IT Policy.

If all else fails, maybe your provider can help - mostly by getting RIM into the picture!

Good luck!
    JerryD

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Hello mushroomit, welcome to pinstack. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

welcome to the stacks

mushroomit no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi All
    Thanks for the welcome.

I have had success with one handheld following the instructions on blackberryfaq

"What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe"

Unfortunately this handset also has a faulty scroll wheel so needs replacing anyway.

Unfortunately the other handset is now completely dead, flashing red LED, flash, pause, flash, pause, flash, flash but I cannot find any info on the codes themselves. I rang our provider who recommended getting it replaced under warranty. Now I just have to find the invoice....

Cheers
    Ben