I just spent about 10 days in the USA with my unlocked 8700c. While out ... RIM Handheld OS forum

bimmian no está en línea Stack level 2

Strange problem with 8700

Advertisement

I just spent about 10 days in the USA with my unlocked 8700c. While out of the country i used a sim card from cingular that disallowed GPRS/EDGE access. Everything was fine.
    When i came home i put in my Rogers sim card with GPRS access and expected it to sync all my emails i recieved over the last 10 days.

When i put the card in, it downloads about 3 messages then completely freezes. The screen stays on , but the scroll wheel and keyboard does nothing. About once a minute for about one second, access is restored and the system just plays back a couple of the cached keystrokes / scroll commands that i tryed during its freeze, then it freezes again.

If i leave it long enough, it sometimes crashes with JVM error 523.

If i take out the sim card or turn off the radio within 3 seconds of the machine booting up, the pda functionality works fine!

I tried the sim card from my 8700 in a 7200 and it is ok. I tried the sim card from a 7200 in my 8700 and it exhibits the same problem.

I have tried reloading the OS and restoring my data, and it still has the problem. I then did a WIPE DATA and the problem still persisted.

Can anyone offer any assistance here?

I bought the phone from eBay so I dont have any recourse with cingular.

Thanks
    Ian

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

Re: Strange problem with 8700

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Do you have a huge backlog of emails in the BIS queue to deliver to your 8700?

It seems rather obvious that it is NOT your device, because you've done everything that any knowledgeable stacker would suggest.

I think you ought to call Rogers BlackBerry support, and have a tech look at your BIS account. He/She/It will be able to see any errors in a log report about when your device is on and BIS is attempting to push or pull emails. The tech will also be able to refresh the queue, or as a drastic step, delete the offending BIS account and have you start "fresh" with creating a new BIS account.

hchai no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Totally agree. It sounds like something wrong at the server side.

bimmian no está en línea Stack level 2

SOLUTION UPDATE:

Ok, so on the first suggestion of there being a problem with the BIS server, i switched my BIS account such that the mails would go to the 7200. they came in just fine and i was able to clear the queue. the 8700 was still frozen though.

I called my BES provider, and had them switch the PIN on my BES account to the 7200. During the activation procedure the 7200 locked up, and even after rebooting, still constantly locked up... and the 8700 was unfrozen!

So I called BES support, and had them switch it back to the 8700. When i did the activation the 8700 locked up and 7200 was unlocked... so i knew this was the source of the problem

i told them to completely delete my BES account, which they did. 1/2 hour later i called back and told them to turn it back on, which they did.

the 8700 activated fine and the problem seems to be solved.

thanks for your help, i hope this helps someone else in the future.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Seriously, that is one crazy BlackBerry story!

Good that you got it sorted out. I'm sure it will help someone.