I've been reading all about the 4.5 OS for the 8320 on Orange and i ... RIM Handheld OS forum
Some advice on the official 4.5 OS please :-(
I've been reading all about the 4.5 OS for the 8320 on Orange and i really want the video cam feature but i don't want to risk installing anything yet because of all the problems.
I've tried finding it on the Blackberry site but it doesn't say anything about downloading any OS or about it's release, it just has all the desktop DM software. Can someone just please clear up exactly when 4.5 is supposed to be out and what the official way of getting it is? Any chance of Orange sending a text with links etc or don't they do that?
Hello again, Mag!
There is a very stable release of 4.5 from another carrier that will work on your device. 22.214.171.124, which you can readily find with a google search.
The carrier does NOT matter. What matters is that is the appropriate OS for YOUR device.
Once you find the OS, download and install it on your PC. Then you can follow these instructions to upgrade:
1) BACK UP YOUR DATA! – this step is n]extremely important in the event you need to restore your data.
2) Verify that you are using the latest version of Desktop Manager. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager. In the Desktop manager program on your PC use the Help menu and select About Desktop Manager. If you need the latest version follow this link.
3) If you haven't already, download latest OS 4.x from this link or if available from your carrier its BEST to download here (select carrier)
4) Install 4.x using the .exe file you just downloaded. If you are downloading the OS specific for your carrier you can skip step 5. In other words, if upgrading a T-Mobile BlackBerry with T-Mobile OS then you can skip this step. However, if you have an AT&T Wireless Blackberry and the OS is non-AT&T eg. from Vodafone, you MUST follow step 5.
5) Delete the 'Vendor.xml' file (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader) Or search your computer's hard drive for the "vendor.xml" file. Once you find it, delete it.
6) Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer. If prompted, type your BlackBerry device password and click OK.
7) Open Desktop Manager. It should recognize that there is an upgrade for your device. ('Vendor.xml' must be deleted for this step to work).
8) When the Application Loader Wizard is finished examining the configuration on the BlackBerry device, the Device Application Selection screen appears listing the applications and OS version available for installation. The selected check boxes indicate applications that are already installed on the BlackBerry device.
9) If you didn't backup first you should select to do so now.
10) Follow the prompts and you will have OS 4.x installed in about 15 to 20 minutes.
Last edited by RogerG; 08-14-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Ok thanks. When you do a backup, is that just your photo's, videos etc? I don't have anything on it at the moment so i don't know if a backup is worth it. If ever you balls up an OS installation, can you just download the old OS again for free?
A back up will save most everything on your device.....contacts, calendar items, 3rd party apps (for the most part with a few exceptions), etc. The default is automatically set up to do a backup, so it's not going to hurt anything to leave it as is.
Yes, you can get the most current "official" OS for your device from your carrier's web site at no cost to you.
And again, DON'T WORRY! We're here to help you! Follow those instructions and you will be fine!
RoGro, is the 4.6DM offered by Hong Kong still good for US? It being multilanguage and all I figured it would be, but just verifying.
If you're talking about the one that was posted here a couple of weeks back, then yes. I've been using it with no issues.
Originally Posted by uberspeed
I now have v4.5 installed with the video camera and it's all working great :-D Now i have to think of a new problem to solve Thanks for your help
Right on! Congrats on the successful upgrade! You are now a veteran!
Originally Posted by Mag1922
what version of 4.5 has been the most stable? i think i might be ready to try it again.. *scared as hell*
Go into my blog (click below) and follow the link to the current OS by device thread. There you will find the download links to the newest 4.5 for your 8320 (I beleive 126.96.36.199)
8320 has 188.8.131.52 beta right now. GaryF is correct in stating that 184.108.40.206 is the latest carrier released OS, from all the info I have gathered thus far.
I just installed v220.127.116.11 and that's working fine if that's any help
Which is actually 18.104.22.168!
Originally Posted by Mag1922
Tags for this Thread