Hello everyone, I am having some trouble with my security firewall options. I updated to ... RIM Handheld OS forum

glenbrgss no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    218EFC5B

Question Security Firewall Status Enabled with Lock!!!!

Advertisement

Hello everyone, I am having some trouble with my security firewall options. I updated to AT&T os about a week and a half ago, and noticed something about 3 days later when the new Opera 4. came out! When it prompted me to allow certain connections I would click on Allow this connection and it would come back up saying:

The application Opera mini has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall which is not allowed by you IT policy.

Ok so I go to Options>Security Options>Firewall, and the Status says Enabled with a little red lock on it(has never been enabled by me). So I of course try to change it, and it won't let me because of this liitle lock that is somehow controlled by some strange IT policy that I have on my phone now.

I also get the same message when I try loading pics to flickr from yahoo go 2.0 that just came out yesterday.

I have tried to wipe handheld with both jl_cmder, and from handheld and reinstall new os. I have also tried to send blank policy to solve, but not working. I have never been on any BES server, IT policy, and I bought my phone brand new from T-Mobile. Any suggestions and or comments are greatly appreciated.

d_fisher no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Security Firewall Status Enabled with Lock!!!!

This behavior is for your own protection. The information below was taken from the policy guide.

Policy - Allow Split-Pipe Connections
    Description - Specify whether or not applications, including third-party applications, can open internal and external connections simultaneously on the BlackBerry device.

Default Setting - False

Use - Enabling split-pipe connections presents a security issue because, when enabled, applications can collect data from inside the firewall and send it outside the firewall without any auditing.

If you read into this info a bit, it doesnt allow an application to use an internal and external connection at the same time. Basically it stopps the application for operating on boths sides of the device firewall.

dclawyer no está en línea Stack level 3

But he's not on a BES.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Hey glen have you looked under Permissions? Maybe you can allow those certain applications access.

I know it doesn't solve your Firewall problem, that part I have never hear of. Quite strange though.

fritter no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I would double check that the phone is new i would take it back to the store you bought it from sounds to me that the phone was on a bes with the IT policy enabled. but what do i know lol

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I thought that was only enabled with connection to a BES. Definately take it back if you just got it as it's not new.

Did it work before you upgraded the OS?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    218EFC5B

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, I checked the application permissions, and they are set as Allow for all three! I have had this pearl since Dec. 2006, and have done 3 os updates since I have had this phone. 1.66, 1.94, and 1.96 and it (firewall settings)were never enabled/and locked on the other two os updates. Any more suggestions?
    Thanks again for comments and possible solutions!

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

i wonder do you have your work email setup on it or do you work for a cell provider?

PIN/ID
    218EFC5B

No, I have gmail and BB email only on my pearl . I'm a truck driver and don't have a work email. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

hmm not sure then, I would take my chances and take the phone back to any store from where you bought it from and ask if they can take the firewall enabled lock off some how.

mavrik666 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2010578D

I'm having the same problem with my 7230, is this soemthing that was added with OS 4? Never tried to use Opera before I upgraded the OS, and never even looked at the Fiorewall settings.

mavrik666 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2010578D

I'm going to downgrade to 3.7 and see what happens will let you know if anything changes.