Can someone give me feedback if this upgrade is worth completing on the Verizon 8130? ... RIM Handheld OS forum

lindycu no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319BDB8B

Advertisement

Can someone give me feedback if this upgrade is worth completing on the Verizon 8130? I understand I will need to modify the install to delete some files, etc. before I do this, but what benefits are there? Also, do I need to reactivate with BES after upgrade or do settings copy over? I assume I need to update service books for BIS accounts (as I had the problem with "received from unknown" when I updated my 8703e - I just didn't know how to fix this, so I reactivated with BES)

Thanks for your feedback!

Here's the info on Sprint's OS for 8130:

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.3.0.137 (Multilanguage)
    Package Version: 4.3.0.137
    Consisting of:
    * Applications: 4.3.0.71
    * Software Platform: 3.1.0.37

I just downloaded Sprints latest OS for the 8130, and was thinking of installing on my Verizon. The Sprint OS is: 4.3.0.137 (Consisting of Apps 4.3.0.71 (release 137), Platform 3.1.0.37). The Verizon came today with 4.3.0.60 (release 119) with 3.1.0.32 Platform.

Aside from deleting the vendor.xml file, and trimming down the OS install by removing languages, preloaded pictures, sample video, unused themes, etc. What do I need to do in order to preserve the BES setup (so I don't have to re-activate with my IT folks?) is that possible? The last time I updated a BB on Verizon, I had the 8703e, and upgraded to v4.2 (verizon's version), but I had issues sending mail (as emails came in as "received from UNKNOWN").

Was that simply a problem with BIS accounts and needing to resend service books? I read that that will fix it, but I want to ensure that I have the device as needed. I haven't really installed anything, so I just wanted to know if this could be done with as little pain as possible.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by cherrichiodo; 01-03-2008 at 02:23 AM. Reason: merged posts

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Re: Running Sprint's OS (4.3.0.137 / 3.1.0.37)

not sure there is anything noticeably different between the two... certain give it a try. As for BES, when you do the upgrade Desktop Manager should keep many/most settings but you might have to reactivate still not sure.

good luck if you try it out let us know what you find.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: Questions before I attempt Sprint OS install on Verizon 8130?

lindy -- im pretty sure that you will have to, no round about way, reactivate BES after the upgrade to the OS...

PIN/ID
    319BDB8B

I'll do the upgrade and check things out for now. I can always update the device on the BES tomorrow morning (my IT guys are great about it!). On other question..is there an easy way to recover BB Messenger contacts on the upgrade from the prior version? What do I need to do in order to keep this? The people I have on BB messenger already had to "re-add" me today when I got the Pearl (I got ahead of myself and set up the device and forgot I wanted to do the OS upgrade first! Idiot I am)

PIN/ID
    319BDB8B

Cherrichiodo - last time I did an upgrade, I continued to get updates (at least email), just couldn't reply as messages received would say in the received header, "Unknown". I could send new messages from default I believe, but I can't be sure. I was planning to delete the BIS mailboxes after another back-up, and then have one back-up with them, and one without. Do the upgrade, see if BES comes across, if it doesn't, simply do a clean install (no restores) and wait til the morning to have IT reactivate.

Thoughts?

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

that sounds about right...but im sure the unknown may have been because you were needing the BES activation. i have never been on BES.

to answer your bbm question, if you have a backup of the old bb, then the backup should restore your bbm contacts.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by lindycu View Post
    I'll do the upgrade and check things out for now. I can always update the device on the BES tomorrow morning (my IT guys are great about it!). On other question..is there an easy way to recover BB Messenger contacts on the upgrade from the prior version? What do I need to do in order to keep this? The people I have on BB messenger already had to "re-add" me today when I got the Pearl (I got ahead of myself and set up the device and forgot I wanted to do the OS upgrade first! Idiot I am)
    before you do the upgrade, use the backup/restore feature and backup your device - that will backup your address book, calendar, tasks, phone log, emails, SMS/MMS, BB Messenger buddies, and profile settings.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

PIN/ID
    319BDB8B

UPGRADE COMPLETED LAST NIGHT (EASY)

I installed the Sprint verizon, restarted Laptop, did one more back-up of the Verizon OS. I then moved the vendor.xml file, along with language files and preloaded pictures/videos to a folder that would ensure they would not be installed.

The install/upgrade went fine, took about 15-20 minutes. Also, once the phone was upgraded, all the back-up that was backed up was restored. The BES restarted activation automatically so I have not had to contact IT on this yet. All things look good so far.

Free MB/Storage upon opening box: ~13MB
    Free MB/Storage upon deleting video and logs and deleting BBMaps: ~17MB
    Free MB/Storage upong upgrade/with no languages, video, sample pics: ~23MB

(Note, I have 1550 contacts, about 1100 calendar entries, 25 tasks, and 20 notes that are sync'd via BES. I also have set up email to keep 6 months, all folders, and my Outlook is a 1.5GB email box)

Let me know if anyone has questions or concerns.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

Does the 8130 offer video recording?
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

applejosh no está en línea Stack level 3

Do you notice any speed improvement, additional features, better memory management, etc. with the Sprint OS upgrade?
    applejosh
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)
    OS 4.3

PIN/ID
    319BDB8B

Honestly, I had my Pearl 8130 for exactly 8hours before I did the upgrade. I received it and activated at about 5pm, and by 2-3am in the morning I was doing the upgrade. The main reason I did the upgrade was to remove languages, preloaded images, basically to go from 13MB to 23MB. (Languages, BBMaps, Sample Video, and Preloaded Pictures) That was accomplished.

I have since added:

Gmail
    Golden Tee Golf Mobile (1.5MB)
    Google Docs
    Google Mobile Updater
    Google Reader
    Google Sync
    Google Talk (set up with Jabber transports for MSN, AOL, Yahoo)
    Picasa (may delete)

I'm will eventually add VZNav at my next billing cycle, which is why I didn't add Google Maps. I also will likely add:

Live Search (MSN's map, direction, search program) - I found this to be more accurate than Google Maps which gave me wrong directions on my 8703e routinely.
    BB Weather (possibly - trying to use accuweather.com webpage that is sync'd every 8 hours)

Since loading, the free memory makes the system run better, but I can't say anything is noticable. I will say that I had issues with my BIS accounts had issues on the Verizon OS with getting updates.

PIN/ID
    319BDB8B

Quote Originally Posted by ItsNowOrNever View Post
    Does the 8130 offer video recording?
    Yes. Not sure of the length. Haven't played with that yet!