I was searching the internet the other day for stuff relating to my HP Printer ... RIM Handheld OS forum

websteth no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    243386CD

Question RIM and HP Mobile Print Solution Still Around?

Advertisement

I was searching the internet the other day for stuff relating to my HP Printer and found this from 2001:
    HP Press Release

HP and RIM to Bring Wireless Printing to Mobile Workers

BlackBerry Users to Gain Convenience of Wireless Printing to HP Printers

PALO ALTO, Calif., and WATERLOO, Ontario, Sept. 11, 2001

Hewlett-Packard Company (NYSE:HWP) and Research In Motion Limited (RIM) (Nasdaq:RIMM)(TSE:RIM) today announced plans to jointly develop mobile printing applications for RIM's BlackBerry™ wireless e-mail solution and HP printers.

The initial application, called the HP Mobile Enterprise Printing application and expected to be available in early 2002, will enable customers using BlackBerry Wireless Handhelds to print e-mails and e-mail attachments on network printers located within their businesses' intranet while they are away from their desk or office.

Companies that broadly deploy the HP Mobile Enterprise Printing application can increase the productivity of their mobile employees by making it easier for them to work with information while leveraging their existing wireless e-mail and document environments.

According to the Yankee Group, by 2003 approximately 50 percent of businesses will have implemented wireless data solutions as wireless vendors fulfill the promise of offering high-value, comprehensive wireless solutions(1).

"HP shares with RIM a vision of a world in which businesses and individuals can easily access and print information via an always-on Internet infrastructure," said George Mulhern, vice president and general manager of connectivity, HP Imaging and Printing Systems. "Today we are taking a giant step forward in providing customers with the means to more effectively use the information they receive, wherever they are."

"HP and RIM are committed to creating wireless printing solutions that extend the functionality of the BlackBerry Wireless Handheld," said Mike Lazaridis, president and co-chief executive officer, Research In Motion. "The combination of BlackBerry's always-on wireless data and the HP Mobile Enterprise Printing application creates a powerful tool that will help mobile professionals fully use the information they receive while away from their desks."

HP and RIM will be demonstrating the HP Mobile Enterprise Printing application in the RIM booth no. 2231 during the Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association (CTIA) Wireless IT and Internet conference from Sept. 11-13 in San Diego.

About HP Mobile Enterprise Printing

The HP Mobile Enterprise Printing application is a key component of HP's strategy to enhance the productivity of wirelessly connected mobile professionals.

The HP Mobile Enterprise Printing application is intended to help improve the productivity of mobile users by increasing the readability of long e-mails, allowing users to read e-mail attachments and providing access to hard copies while on the go. It will support printing of the most popular e-mail attachment formats, including Microsoft® Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files, Adobe® PDF files and JPEG images. The HP Mobile Enterprise Printing application leverages the BlackBerry end-to-end security model.

About BlackBerry

Over 10,000 organizations across North America, with expansion beginning in Europe, have implemented the BlackBerry solution. Key features of the BlackBerry wireless e-mail solution:

Advanced wireless handhelds -- slim and lightweight with large screen, thumb-operated keyboard and trackwheel; embedded wireless modem (no external antenna needed), plus integrated e-mail and organizer software.
    Single mailbox integration with corporate e-mail systems -- allows users to keep their existing email address and manage one single mailbox. Users can read, originate, forward, reply, delete or file messages using the BlackBerry handheld.
    End-to-end security -- e-mail is encrypted using Triple DES and remains encrypted at all points between the PC (or server) and wireless handheld; meets strict corporate security guidelines for company-confidential information.
    BlackBerry Enterprise Server -- enterprise server software provides centralized management and control with a scalable architecture.
    For more information on BlackBerry, visit BlackBerry.
    Has anyone ever heard of this or know if it is coming back soon? There were some rumblings earlier this year it looks like on BlackBerry Cool and RIMarkable. Now this would rock if I could us my networked HP Color Laser with my BlackBerry. Any thoughts or comments welcomed. Thanks.
    Working at the place Where Dreams Come True and my BlackBerry Addiction is made stronger.

BlackBerry Curve 8900 with T-Mobile USA, PIN: 24AE9FC0

jxb
    jxb no está en línea Stack level 1
    As far as I can tell, the HP Mobile Enterprise Printing solution is no longer commercially available. Dating back to September 2001, it was intended truly for enterprises (or at least larger companies) as it required server software and integration work. It wasn't just one add-on app for your BlackBerry so that you could print to your lone LJ.

While an HP VP talked about "reviving" the product (line) last September, there's no mention of the renewed product at hp.com. The site which used to host information about the HP MEP redirects to a page within HP's Mobile Printing set of sites (http://www.hp.com/large/ipg/solution...ity_print.html), which don't talk about what you want to do at all.

Try Print from Cortado or BeamBerry.

jxb
    jxb no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by websteth View Post
    I was searching the internet the other day for stuff relating to my HP Printer and found this from 2001:

Has anyone ever heard of this or know if it is coming back soon? There were some rumblings earlier this year it looks like on BlackBerry Cool and RIMarkable. Now this would rock if I could us my networked HP Color Laser with my BlackBerry. Any thoughts or comments welcomed. Thanks.
    Great news!

I stumbled upon the website for HP CloudPrint, an HP Labs product, which achieves exactly you seem to be looking for. It's not clear whether this is a brand-new product or whether it builds upon HP's 2001 solution but it's very web 2.0. I haven't tested it yet but they seem to be on the right path.

See: http://www.hp.com/idealab/us/en/cloudprint.html

websteth no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    243386CD
    I think this might be on to what I am looking for. What would rock would being able to print to the network printer via the WiFi.
    Working at the place Where Dreams Come True and my BlackBerry Addiction is made stronger.

BlackBerry Curve 8900 with T-Mobile USA, PIN: 24AE9FC0