Hello, just got my first Blackberry 8110. I think this is the right forum to ... RIM Handheld OS forum

jacbk612 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question problem running my first application

Advertisement

Hello, just got my first Blackberry 8110. I think this is the right forum to get some help. It's a total newb question and I hope you don't mind.

I would like to write some engineering type applications for the 8100. I have some java apps. on my web site that I would like to convert:
    see : http://www.lightmypump.com/imperial_pump_formulas.htm

I have downloaded and installed the JDE 4.3 and am trying Hayden's Hello world program. I have downloaded the completed code for this page:
    http://www.blackberry.com/developers...lication.shtml

After I do the build I get the following error message:

I/O Error: Cannot run program "javac": CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified
    Error while building project

Am I missing some software? Where does the device simulator enter the picture.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Jacques

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    Do you have the Sun Java Development Kit installed?

javac is the Java compiler, and I do not think the BlackBerry JDE comes with the JDK.

Try installing the latest JDK from Sun (http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp). The item you want is the first download on that page.

If you do have the JDK installed already, make sure the JDK binaries are in your path. In Windows, this can be done from the System Properties option within the control panel, under the advanced tab, there is a button labeled "Environment Variables". The JDK installation should automatically adjust the path, so I would try installing (or reinstalling) that.

Question

Hi Tyth, thanks for your help. I had a jDK which was probably not the right version so I downloaded the one you suggest but the JDE is still giving the same error.

I am not sure what to check for in the environment variables, can you elaborate?

I also have java run time installed to view applets on the web and jBuilder which is an IDE that helps to make applets. I wonder if they are causing a conflict.

Cheers,

Jacques

I just removed jBuilder just in case but this has not helped.

J

See if you can run javac from the command prompt.

If you can't, make sure there is a javac.exe file in "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk#.#.#_##\bin", where the #'s correspond to your version.

If you have a javac.exe in that location, but you can't run it from the command prompt, it means that your path environment variable doesn't have the proper directory for some reason.

If you bring up the environment variable window (System Properties>Advanced>Environment Variables, as I described in my first post), there should be two panes. One of the panes contains variables for your user, the other contains variables for the system. Under the "system variables", there will be a variable named "Path". If you select it, and press edit, you will be able to see all of the places that Windows looks for executables.

Mine looks something like this (yours will probably look slightly different): C:\msys\1.0\bin;C:\mingw\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32 ;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Progra m Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_11\bin

If yours doesn't have an entry for the Java Development Kit bin directory (last entry on mine), add one. Make sure you get the version number correctly, and make sure your path entries are separated by semicolons. Don't delete any of the entries that contain %SystemRoot% directives, since that will probably screw up the system.

After hitting OK and closing the System Properties, the environment variables will apply for any program launched after the change was made. To test it, load a new command prompt and try running javac again.

If you can run javac from the command line now, you can try running the BlackBerry JDE again. Make sure to close the JDE completely before trying again.

Question

Ok, I did not have the path for javac.exe set, it is set now. Thanks.

I tried the jde and the build works, it takes a while but it does a complete build.

After the build is complete nothing appears. I guess I don't know what to expect, I thought I would see a simulator of the bb with helloworld written on it?

If you don't mind, what is the next step after you do a build?

Cheers,

Jacques

woops... I got it. There is a Build and run command that loads the program into the simulator. Thanks.

Any books or tutorials you can recommend to do software development?

Jacques

RIM's BlackBerry Developer site has plenty of resources for programming the BlackBerry. Nothing is really better than familiarizing yourself with the available functions in the API and writing programs.

Glad you got it working.

Huuum, so it would seem that BB app development is not yet a big industry. Are most BB apps developed by Blackberry itself or are there only a few companies doing this?

Jacques

It is certainly smaller than Windows Mobile development, but there are plenty of companies developing BlackBerry software now. That number is sure to grow as the popularity of the BlackBerry platform increases with the size of the user base.