I was playing around trying to get multiple calendars syncing simultaneously with my blackberry, and ... RIM Handheld OS forum
Possible solution for multiple calendar sync on your blackberry
I was playing around trying to get multiple calendars syncing simultaneously with my blackberry, and finally have one solution that works for me. This may work for you too if your setup is similar. Here's what I have:
Corporate calendar and contacts through BES (Synchronizes wirelessly)
Personal calendar through Google calendar.
Once your device is set up, you'll have one "Desktop" calendar that will reflect your work appointments, and one "xxxx @ gmail.com" calendar that will reflect your personal appointments. Even better, you can choose to display one, the other, or both, so you'll get a bird's eye view of your agenda/day/week/month! Pretty exciting.
Here are the steps I followed:
1. I'm assuming you have a working corporate calendar, email, and contacts set up on your blackberry. Let's call this the "Desktop" account, since that's what it's called on mine.
2. Set up the gmail account on your blackberry. Use the "E-mail Settings" application to setup gmail. If you're successful, you should see an icon for Messages from your gmail account (say "xxxx @ gmail.com" on your home screen. (I ended up hiding it since I use the gmail java application and don't really like using the blackberry for gmail email).
3. Set the gmail account as the default calendar.
Options > Advanced Options > Default Services > Change the entry for "Calendar" to your gmail account. Save and return to home screen.
This is important, otherwise your outlook calendar will have your personal appointments too. Not a good thing when other people can see your appointments!!
4. Download and install the google sync application from google.
After installation and signing in with your google account, DO NOT choose "Sync Now". Go to Menu > Options and check if all the settings look good. Choose to sync contacts (I don't, since I don't want my corporate contacts in google or vice versa), and make sure that the calendar in google you want to sync is listed in the "Sync these Calendars" section. Side note: You can have multiple google calendars sync to the "xxxx @ gmail.com" calendar on your blackberry.
5. Choose to sync to get the "xxxx @ gmail.com" account on your blackberry synced with your gmail calendar. You should be all set.
So now, your corporate calendar continues to sync with the "Desktop" one on your blackberry. And your personal google calendar syncs with the "xxxx @ gmail.com" one on the blackberry.
1. Your default calendar is now your personal/google calendar. This isn't a big issue for me because when creating a new appointment, you can choose which calendar it shows up on. So that's just two extra clicks, which isn't a big deal for me.
1. Getting reminders for both work and personal appointments. And being able to snooze them! Sweet!!
2. When creating a new appointment, you know if it's conflicting with appointments on either calendar. So I'm told if an appointment on my personal calendar conflicts or 'is adjacent to' any appointments on my work or personal calendars.
3. Filter: You can choose to see only one or both calendars. And choose different colors for both calendar appointments. Works well enough for me.
I'll try to upload screenshots when I have access to my pc. Hope this helps y'all!
Very nice any chance this will work on a BIS system
Samsung Galaxy S4
Asus Nexus 7
Don't have an access to a BIS device, so didn't have a chance to try . I think it'll depend on if the BIS syncs to a specific calendar on the phone, or just directly to the default calendar. (The above setup should still work with the former, wouldn't work with the latter).
Originally Posted by CMangum
[Edited to add a step for preventing screw-ups propagating to your work calendar. Thank you very much!]
Originally Posted by shaolin140
Thanks, this is the only place I've been able to find a configuration which allows me to use the BES and Google Calendars separately and effectively. Everything works well. I had to add Empower Work Folders though because I couldn't deal with the flow of google messages mixed in with the BES messages.
I use Lotus Notes at work, and I do have a question for anyone who is using this type of configuration. Unlike Shaolin, I did sync my contacts via google, which was important, because I needed all my personal contacts on my phone. I can also access my corporate phone book which includes email information for everyone in the system. However, I don't have the option of syncing my Lotus contacts via BES anymore. The option is greyed out. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue? I'd like to also have my Lotus (work) contacts on my BB for the phone numbers.
Tags for this Thread