hi i recently bought a cingular pearl unlocked, i currently use Telcel (Mexico) GSM service, ... RIM Handheld OS forum

enriquemellado no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23F80FE6

Question OS question

Advertisement

hi
    i recently bought a cingular pearl unlocked, i currently use Telcel (Mexico) GSM service, i installed my chip and it is working fine phone-wise... when i asked the service provider is i could activate my pearl, they said they couldn't guarrantee the service because the pearl was not telcel. as i understand from some posts here it shouldn't matter but this company isn't very friendly when it comes to people who don't buy phones with them.
    anyway.
    i have a friend that activated the service in my phone (telcel service) to see if i could use it before i actualy get the service from them ( he works there and he could do the temporary activation), but i don't know what to do... when the service is activated am i supposed to get something by message or should i do something on the pearl. i tried the enterprise activation but it asks for an email address.
    another thing is that if i should get the telcel OS on my pearl to make sure it can work or is there no difference from the cingular OS.. the os i have right now says... v 4.2.0.71 (platform 2.2.0.41) not sure if that matters...
    thanks..

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: OS question

If the phone is unlocked, insterting your provider's SIM should allow you to make calls right away, as for things like internet and email, you will need a Blackberry Data plan from Telcel if they offer one.

After they put a Blackberry Data Plan on your Account which then should be associated with your SIM card, try going to Options>Advanced Options>Host Routing Table>Menu> and Select "Register Now"

Doing that should send you the necessary service books to start adding email accounts (through your "Setup Internet Email" icon) and bring your browser...
    If that doesnt work then Telcel may have to provision your BB themselves.

As for the OS, those are Device specific and you shouldnt run into any problems.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

The Enterprise Activation is only for corporate users who are on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server. Since you're not on one of these, it's safe to say you are using the BlackBerry Internet Service.

Connect your BB to your PC and open the Desktop Manager. Select Backup/Restore. Choose Backup. This will save a backup copy of all data, applications, messages, contacts, etc that are on your BB to your PC.

For the Operating System, you will want to upgrade to this OS http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ers_4_2_a.html

Install this on your PC. Go to Start>Search. Type in vendor.xml. Let the PC find it. Delete it. Connect the BB to the PC using the USB cable. Open Desktop Manager. Click Application Loader. Follow the prompts. Select "Do Not Back Up Data" or whatever that choice is. Let the upgrade run its course but be careful not to unplug the BB. When your BB reboots, then you can unplug it. For some reason this one takes about 2 hours (most only take 30 minutes).

enriquemellado no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23F80FE6

ok, thanks for the reply... i'll try registering that way, after upgrading to the new OS tomorrow, and i'll post what i get..
    thanks for your help...