Just bought my new 8330 curve. The app version is 4.2.2.180 and the desktop manager ... RIM Handheld OS forum

bmilesjr34 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question New 8330 curve 4.2.2.180 version HELP WITH UPGRADING

Advertisement

Just bought my new 8330 curve. The app version is 4.2.2.180 and the desktop manager when i click help tells me version 4.2.2.14. I would like to upgrade to 4.5 however I'm new and retarded at the moment as to how to accomplish this task. Could somone walk through how to upgrade both my phone and the pc to match. I'm currently in the proccess of downloading the 4.5. Can I go straight to 4.5 or do I need to get an intermediate version before I advance forward. All help would be much appriciated

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Welcome to Pinstack bmiles. You can get the Desktop Manager version you want here. Get the Latest OS for your handheld here. Get instructions for installing the OS here. Good luck and post back if you have problems.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

sorry 8320....got excited with the buttons

my initial problem i guess is the fact i cant transfer files from my pc to the blackberry. i have looked up forums and post about such a matter. The error i recieve is 'no additional applications designed for your device were found'. I know i downloaded a theme for the 8320. On top of that there is a message within the desktop manager under the application loader that states 'the blackberry destop software does not have blackberry device software for the divce that you have connected to the computer. contact your wireless service provider or system administrator'. HELP

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Welcome to PinStack!

Do you have the OS loaded on your PC yet? You will need that in order to utilize the application load feature of the Desktop Manager software.

You can go right from your current OS to the 4.5 OS, no problem.

thats part of what i dont know how to do

Once you have the OS loaded and INSTALLED on your PC, follow the instructions jblackfish provided in the link above, especially the one for deleting the vendor.xml file. This flags the Desktop Manager application to install the new OS on your device as well as the theme you downloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by bmilesjr34 View Post
    thats part of what i dont know how to do
    You are currently downloading the 4.5 OS for your device, correct?

I know im making you repeat possibly...and or dumb down just a bit more.... When im done with the 4.5 download. I extract and install it to my pc. From there I delete the vendor.xml file and go from there. Correct?

ya

Quote Originally Posted by bmilesjr34 View Post
    I know im making you repeat possibly...and or dumb down just a bit more.... When im done with the 4.5 download. I extract and install it to my pc. From there I delete the vendor.xml file and go from there. Correct?
    Yes, you've got it! Once you've done all that, connect your device to the PC with the USB cable and then launch the Desktop Manager. It should immediately recognize that you have new software to install on the device. From there you just follow the prompts. Just be patient, though because this can take anywhere from 30 minutes to over an hour! Lots of people freak out and get tempted to disconnect the device and things like that. Just let it do its thing, make sure not to bump the cable or let your cat chew on it or anything!

Post back if you have any more questions. We're here to help!

Roger

Thanks a bunch. Really appriciate it.

muufdvvr no está en línea Stack level 1
    I also am a rookie here and to a blackberry. i switched over from the plam treo. i have the 8320 also. i looked at that software page and theres no 4.5 for t mobile. will any 4.5 work on any network

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Muufdvvr,

You can install any carrier's OS on your device - the only requirement is that it MUST be for your device. In this case, the 8320. The instructions posted above cover all that if you follow them accurately. The key is to delete the vendor file. Read through the instructions.

My advise is to get more familiar with your Blackberry before launching in to an upgrade. Read in here and ask questions until you get comfortable with using the BB. Then you can make a better decision as to whether you want to upgrade. Good luck - have fun.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com