HELP! I just downloaded the Sprint 4.5 OS for my 8130 Pearl & now I ... RIM Handheld OS forum
New 4.5 OS on BB Pearl 8130
HELP! I just downloaded the Sprint 4.5 OS for my 8130 Pearl & now I cant get to the option to open attachments in my email when inside a message. When I click 'menu' it doesn't come up at all. I can see the attachment icon in my message header & when I open an email without an attachment I can use my menu options as normal. I tried clicking around in the header & message body to no avail. Anyone else have this issue?
Plug in your device to your computer, open desktop manager, go to app loader and select "Blackberry Attachment Service" checkbox.
When I did as instructed it was already checked. I'm using Empower Mail Viewer Pro if that matters.
did you click next and let it update?
Yes. It gave me a message that basically said everything was already on my device, and there was nothing to update. So I hit finish.
try uninstalling it, then going back to app loader and reinstalling it
Will do! Thanks. I'll reply back with the results.
I'm back with good new! First, 360 I want to thank you for all your help & patience. It turns out that after much frustration the issue was with the Empower Email Viewer Pro. I received an email from them at 7:35 this morning & had to do an update. Now everything is working fine. So, anyone with Empower be on the lookout for this!
Im glad to hear your problem is resolved.
Hey Sepia, i have 4.3 OS for the pearl 8130, whats the difference between the 4.5 and 4.3? I have only had my blackberry for about a month so im new to all this, and i do have sprint also.
The 8130 comes out of the box with os 4.3 which has upgraded browser, voicenotes, docs to go etc. 4.5 was offered as an os upgrade to older 8xxx devices, however 4.5 is now available for all older 8xxx devices. In comparison to 4.3, 4.5 has minor updates.
4.3 never had Docs to Go it was not offered until 4.5. 4.5 will add html email to your device as well as give you the basic version of Docs. There are a few other small updates as well. If you are comfortable upgrading. I would suggest the easiest way for a new user. Goto blackberry.com and use their web updater it will install the latest OS for your device.
Originally Posted by MissMandy29
The biggest perk to me is the ability to send MMS messages with pics, voice notes, or video. I always hated that I didnt have picture mail on my BB. It also has Docs to Go, which is not a big deal to me. But, I just updated it yesterday so I dont know of any other major benefits. Oh, it also enable to you do future OS updates OTA (called OTASL). Even though my main issue is fixed I still think there are glitches with Empower. Its not working as smoothly as it used to. Hope this helps.
I removed Empower because per Cowboy's post above I wanted to see if the HTML really worked without it. And it does. I no longer need Empower so this is no longer an issue. Native HTML is definately a plus!
I just learned about a new feature on 4.5 & wanted to share in case everyone didnt know. In OS 4.3 I couldnt view YouTube or other streamed videos on my phone. Now you can with 4.5. I pasted the upgrade description from Blackberry.com below for a full overview.
Do more with the BlackBerry® smartphone you already own! BlackBerry® Device Software v4.5 is a free update and offers a whole new world of fun and functionality.
Discover innovative ways to work and play with BlackBerry Device Software v4.5.
<SUP>*Note: certain features require BlackBerry® Enterprise Server software and/or may not be available on every BlackBerry smartphone – please refer to the compatibility information.</SUP>
- Refreshed Look – Enjoy messages, address book entries and a calendar that make better use of colors and fonts. They’re also laid out to more closely match the programs you use on your computer.
Attachments and Files
- Improved Email Layout (Rich HTML Email) – View tables, images and fonts with formatting that looks better than ever.<SUP>1</SUP>
- Remote Search – Find emails that are stored on a BlackBerry® Enterprise Server.<SUP>2,3</SUP>
Want to edit Microsoft® Excel® files on your BlackBerry smartphone? Visit the DataViz® website to register with DataViz and download an update for Documents To Go that includes Sheet To Go.
- Edit Microsoft® Word and Microsoft® PowerPoint® Files – Just download the attachments and start typing!
- Copy, paste, change font formatting and more.<SUP>4</SUP>
- Download and Save – Grab a file on the Internet, and save it to your smartphone to view or edit later.
- Save Time as You Type – Word completion for SureType keyboards will monitor what you type and present a list of options to scroll through so you don’t have to type the whole word.
- Mobile Streaming – Access videos, music or even sports and news clips from websites with mobile streaming capabilities.<SUP>5</SUP>
- Local Search - Enter a search term like ‘pizza’ to view a list of places to grab a slice within a 30-km radius.<SUP>6</SUP>
- Send a Voice Note – Instead of typing an email, record a Voice Note and send it as an email attachment or Multimedia Message (MMS).
- Stay on Top of Your Tasks – Record your thoughts and play them back when they’re needed.
- Improved Music Management – See all your music files, or filter them by artist, album or genre. You can even create and edit playlists.
- Musical Multitasking – Open the BlackBerry menu and select “Now Playing” to access the name and artist for the song you’re listening to – even when using another application.
- Bluetooth Compatible (A2DP) – Use wireless Bluetooth® headphones or speakers to enjoy your music wherever you are.<SUP>7</SUP>
- Video Recording – Take it all in with video camera capabilities.<SUP>3,8,9</SUP>
- Full Screen Player – Watch videos in full-screen mode or stay in command with the media controls mode.
- Free/Busy Lookup – View your colleagues’ calendars on your smartphone<SUP>2,3</SUP>
Tags for this Thread