So I was installing 4.5 on my 8100 today and when it finished it said ... RIM Handheld OS forum

bag3lbit3s no está en línea Stack level 1

Need help

Advertisement

So I was installing 4.5 on my 8100 today and when it finished it said there was an error. But when I started it up and it worked ok, but then it continued to crash on me and it was lagging pretty badly, so I decided to roll it back to what T-mobile has, 4.2 something? While I was rolling back to the 4.2 my computer crashed on me towards the end of the installation after it had already backed up already.

I unfortunately lost all my contacts on my phone and was wondering is there a way to recover this automatic update files that it does while installing the os? I could not seem to find it when I was at work going through all the files. Is there any possibility that I can get this stuff back?

Thanks.

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    Probably not, you should always make a backup before upgrading. If you're lucky the IPD file MAY still be on your computer since the uprade process was interrupted. Best bet would be to search your computer for *.ipd files...If you can't find any you're out of luck unfortunetly...Unless of course you're on BES in which case most databases are probably configured for OTA synchronization.

Quote Originally Posted by kieranwest View Post
    Probably not, you should always make a backup before upgrading. If you're lucky the IPD file MAY still be on your computer since the uprade process was interrupted. Best bet would be to search your computer for *.ipd files...If you can't find any you're out of luck unfortunetly...Unless of course you're on BES in which case most databases are probably configured for OTA synchronization.
    Where is the *.ipd file located?

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    I would just search from the root of the c(c:\) and all folders below...This way if there is an .ipd file the search should find it....Hopefully you made one sometime

Quote Originally Posted by kieranwest View Post
    I would just search from the root of the c(c:\) and all folders below...This way if there is an .ipd file the search should find it....Hopefully you made one sometime
    Unfortunately I have not made one other than the automatic one that it does when you update the OS. So I've got to check monday when I go back to work.

Thanks!

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    what he is saying is that the ipd *auto-backup* will be on your PC somewhere too. mine save in the same spot. so if i do a manual backup, i have it saved to the same folder that the auto backup saves in ... do a search on your hard-drive for .ipd and see if you come up with anything. you did tell it to do an auto backup?

Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    what he is saying is that the ipd *auto-backup* will be on your PC somewhere too. mine save in the same spot. so if i do a manual backup, i have it saved to the same folder that the auto backup saves in ... do a search on your hard-drive for .ipd and see if you come up with anything. you did tell it to do an auto backup?
    Yes I did tell it to do an auto backup, I'll do a search Monday when I'm back at work. I did this on my work computer, so hopefully the backup file is still there.

One good thing is I decided to try out 4.5 again, and this time it installed fine and works great! I especially love the media player changes, it's a lot more versatile.

Thanks everyone.

Ok, now this is starting to really frustrate me, my phone keeps crashing on me. It works completely fine, then all of a sudden it crashes, the red light goes solid for a few seconds, then it boots up again. It happens completely randomly. Is there anything I should do?

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    how often does this happen some phones just do that at random if it is happening multiple times in a day then it's probably something to do with the OS on your device
    The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

It's already happened about 3 times, in only a few hours. I'm in the process of wiping it and going to try to reinstall 4.5 one last time. Either way it's going to be replaced with 4.2 if my backup is still at work so I can get the contacts, then replaced with 4.5 again.

God this is tedious.

*edit*

Ok, so 4.5 seems to be running pretty stable and a lot faster after wiping the blackberry. My plan of attack monday is to hopefully find the recovery file on my work computer, put that on my blackberry (which should be 4.2). Then sync that with Microsoft Outlook so all my contacts are on my computer. Then wipe it, install 4.5 then sync it again so that all the contacts are on the phone.

Thank you everyone for the help!
    Last edited by bag3lbit3s; 08-09-2008 at 02:01 AM.