So I downloaded the software updates for the 8110 and 8310 using the "Blackberry OS ... RIM Handheld OS forum

Quitch no está en línea Stack level 1

Multiple devices to one desktop manager

Advertisement

So I downloaded the software updates for the 8110 and 8310 using the "Blackberry OS Software links" thread.

My question is simply can I install both application sets on the one machine, or do I need to install one set, update my 8110s, then uninstall it and install the other so I can update my 8310s?

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    No, your DTM will be fine. I have two 8310s and an 8100 and the DTM recognizes all three. You would only need to uninstall one of the OS on the PC if you were doing an upgrade for that particular phone. Hey, welcome to Pinstack!

Woah, now I'm confused. What classifies as an upgrade, since surely the application packages are upgrades to the existing packages on the phone across the board, right?

OK, to simplify allow me to posit my scenario.

I have one PC, multiple 8310s and multiple 8110 devices. One of them has experienced a bad wipe and I need to reinstall the apps. Should I:

1. Install Desktop manager, followed by the software packages for 8110 and 8310.

2. Install Desktop manager, followed by the software package for whichever phone I want to image, removing it should I need to update packages on a different model.
    Last edited by Quitch; 10-06-2008 at 10:02 AM.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Quitch View Post
    Woah, now I'm confused. What classifies as an upgrade, since surely the application packages are upgrades to the existing packages on the phone across the board, right?

OK, to simplify allow me to posit my scenario.

I have one PC, multiple 8310s and multiple 8110 devices. One of them has experienced a bad wipe and I need to reinstall the apps. Should I:

1. Install Desktop manager, followed by the software packages for 8110 and 8310.

2. Install Desktop manager, followed by the software package for whichever phone I want to image, removing it should I need to update packages on a different model.
    Quitch, either scenario would work, however should you want to load or remove applications, themes, etc from any of your devices, you would need the OS for that device on your PC in order to do so.

Let me clarify my post above.

Use your option number two. You won't need to uninstall any of the OS's, however I WOULD recommend that you download and install the OS for one device at a time. If you're upgrading all your 8310's, for instance, download and install only that OS until you've completed the upgrade to each device. Then go ahead and download/install the OS for the 8110's and get those all upgraded.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Quitch, either scenario would work, however should you want to load or remove applications, themes, etc from any of your devices, you would need the OS for that device on your PC in order to do so.
    I would need that OS installed exclusively, or Desktop Manager will go "Ah hah, that's a 8110 plugged in so I'll call on those 8110 files I have installed, not the 8310 ones"?

In other words, is having only one set of apps installed at a time playing it safe or a necessary evil?
    Last edited by Quitch; 10-06-2008 at 11:39 AM.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quitch,

Just to be clear, DM understands which device you have connected. All you have to have is the OS for the device that you want to service and you can have multiple devices/OS's as long as you don't have two OS's for the same device. I currently have four OS's installed on my p-c and one DM - it works with all. It doesn't matter which 8310 you use - it'll take care of it.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Currently I have 3 different devices-7100t, 8100, and 8120- connected to my PC. DM recognizes each different device by the PIN number and upgraded accordingly (except the 8100 that didn't upgrade recently).

Thanks, that clears it up.

^^^ Yes, what JB and Erica said! Thank you lady and gentleman for expounding on the subject!

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Do what Blackfish and Roger said and you'll be fine, what they said is what I meant to say..........I think LOL

Some days we just have the darndest time getting across what should be a simple point, eh Glenn?