I've read a few threads on this board, and others, but . . . thought ... RIM Handheld OS forum

ego1138 no está en línea Stack level 2

Mass Storage Mode Won't Enable

Advertisement

I've read a few threads on this board, and others, but . . . thought I'd resurrect again.

On my wife's unlocked 8100, when plugging the handset into the computer via USB, mass storage mode will not work. When set to "prompt", it does not prompt on the handset. If I set mass storage mode to enable, it still does not show on the PC.

I have a 4GB card in the 8100. And the device itself recognizes the card, and the data that's on it. I just want to use it as a "removable device" in windows.

Here's all the troubleshooting that's been done (so, no need to suggest them) (I've left her phone in "prompt" mode)

* I've tried reformatting the card inside the BB
    * I've tried her BB in multiple computers, none of them will recognize it as a removable drive
    * I've tried her card in my BB . . . it works fine, and when I plug my handset with her card into my computer, MSM works fine.
    * I've tried my card in her BB . . . handset sees the card fine, but plugging her BB into either my computer, or hers, MSM does not prompt to be enabled - same results as her phone with her card.
    * no errors show up in the event log
    * I've looked through disk management, and it's not an issue with running out of drive letters, or that drive letters are assigned to something else
    * I've tried battery pulls
    * I've tried multiple OS revisions on her BB from 4.2 to 4.5's
    * With 4.2.1 of Desktop Manager, using the Media Manager option, I can see the card, and transfer files to and from the card. With later revisions of DM (using Roxio's media manager), I get varying results from DM not being able to see the card, to it being able to see the card, but taking a lenghty amount of time to read the files from the card.
    * In device manager, BlackBerry Device shows up as a USB device, and shows no errors
    * In disk management, nothing shows up indicating a removable disk drive has been connected.
    * I've tried multiple USB cables in multiple ports.
    * The BB is BIS and was never connected to BES, and does not have an IT policy attached to it.

The phone was purchased refurbished and taking it back is not an option anymore.
    I'm convinced it's something on the phone, as the phone doesn't even prompt yes/no to enable mass storage mode . . which leads me to believe it's not passing that onto the PC, hence, the PC can't see it.

I've had to revert her DM software to 4.2.1 for her to transfer files across. That seems to be the only solution, but . . . it's still not ideal and I'd love to find a solution.

Does anyone have any suggestions of anything else that can be tried?
    Thanks
    Last edited by ego1138; 09-12-2008 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Added extra troubleshooting point of formatting the card in the device.

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5
    Well 4.2 OS will only recognize 2gig cards but you said that you have tried 4.5. Have you tried reformatting the card? if you try it remember to back up first. I can't think of anything else. Make sure to reformat the card in her phone.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

ego1138 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Forgot that bullet point in the first one, yup, tried reformatting the card too!

(and on a side note, the 4.2 OS *DID* recognize the 4GB card)

ildayslanights no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have a Blackberry 8830 with v4.5.0.138 software and I have Blackberry Desktop Manager v4.7 and I have tried everything mentioned in ego1138's first message, but mass storage mode will not work on my device. I have used a 1GB and 2GB memory card and nothing... I just ordered a 4GB memory card and I am sure it will still not work. Has anyone found a fix for this yet? I love my device and don't want to change...

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    ildayslanights,

Have you found this thread?

ildayslanights no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thank you so much! I am thrilled!!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator