Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have a user with a 8700c that has accidentally dialed 911 with his BB ... RIM Handheld OS forum

TimJC no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23f584f0

Locked Emergency Call

Advertisement

I have a user with a 8700c that has accidentally dialed 911 with his BB locked. The company BES forces the BB to lock after 30 minutes of inactivity. Once locked the BB gives you three options, unlock, emergency call and cancel. The emergency call option is supposed confirm that you wish to call 911 before doing so, but the user doesn't think this is the case. What I want to know is if there is an option to remove the emergency call feature from the lock menu, or at least edit the number it calls.

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    As far as I know, no. I'll dig around though!

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Yes, it is supposed to confirm that you wish to make an emergency call before it actually does dial the number.

As far as editing the number, not sure, that is a good question that I am going to look into. Would be nice to edit the number to automatically call the office or another number in the event that the phone is stolen and someone tries to use the emergency call feature.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Per my genius that works for BB Support:

Me: Is there anyway to disable the emergency call option? Or to change the number on it?
    Him: Nope. It's illegal to do that
    Me: Thats (explicative)! Why?
    Him: Ask the government
    Me: Sure. I'll get right on that.

Hope that helps...And thats from someone who knows what he's talking about.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    TimJC, Welcome to PinStack.

I think that N8's source is correct about both statements. I Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

skip00319 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23d051c6
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I think it is better than haveing the 9 key as the number. Both my old nokia and motorola had that feature. I like haveing the 9 as just another speed dial key.

loos no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Locked Emergency Call

Hi guys,

I know on the 8100 (Pearl) you can hold down the mute key and you get a message that the phone is entering standby mode. When in standby mode the phone will still accept calls, but will not wake up unless you hit the mute key (silver square on the top of the phone). This is how I've solved the 911 problem. My brother tried it on his 8700 (OS ver 4.1.0.284) and it doesn't seem to do anything though, but my 8100 (OS ver 4.2.0.64) does work. Maybe it's an operating system thing?

dwluger no está en línea Stack level 1

you can stop the pearl from dialing 911 when locked by pressing the standby button (mute button on top). This works as a lock too and you can receive calls.

nateshiner no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB View Post
    Per my genius that works for BB Support:

Me: Is there anyway to disable the emergency call option? Or to change the number on it?
    Him: Nope. It's illegal to do that
    Me: Thats (explicative)! Why?
    Him: Ask the government
    Me: Sure. I'll get right on that.

Hope that helps...And thats from someone who knows what he's talking about.

every cell phone--with or without a service contract--is required by law to have the capability for someone to dial 911.

the real question is whether the law only requires that to be a native function from the factory, and whether the law specifically prohibits a user from disabling such a feature.

cubus no está en línea Stack level 3

You can also lock the keyboard and then press the mute button. It helps not to hit the mute button by accident if you carry your phone in the pocket.

RJeffDay no está en línea Stack level 2

[quote=nateshiner;515874]every cell phone--with or without a service contract--is required by law to have the capability for someone to dial 911.

So do you mean to say that with no SIM Card and NO SERVICE the device could STILL make an emergency call?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Yes provided it can connect to the antenna.

Zo

swbtsboy no está en línea Stack level 3

[quote=RJeffDay;561888]
    Quote Originally Posted by nateshiner View Post
    every cell phone--with or without a service contract--is required by law to have the capability for someone to dial 911.

So do you mean to say that with no SIM Card and NO SERVICE the device could STILL make an emergency call?

Yes it can.. I found that out by accident when I gave an old cell phone to my 3 year old nephew to play with. I had no service on that phone for over a year. Within a minute I head a "Hello? Hello?" it was the 911 operator, she said all cell phones without service can still call 911.
    Last edited by swbtsboy; 01-07-2008 at 06:37 PM.

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Yup, it's a safety feature required by State & National Governments. I'm the Director of a 9-1-1 Center and let me tell you how painful this is sometimes. Kids get ahold of these phones and love to make prank calls since they know we can't trace it, especially Pre-Paid accounts.

About 40% of all 9-1-1 calls made in the nation are accidental or false...all due to the cell phone.
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

jkl129 no está en línea Stack level 1

Okay, I can understand the BlackBerry treating the digits 911 as an emergency call, but does anyone know why the digits 008 also result in an emergency call? To see what I mean try this: When the BB is locked type 008, it will ask you if you want to place an emergency call. The call goes to the 911 emergency hotline. At first I thought that it was only my BB that did this, but it turns out that several of my colleagues BB's (all different models) do the same thing.

This effectively means that you can't have a password that contains 008. Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast