I just purchased (used) an 8700c and it has v4.1.0.194 (Platform 2.0.0.90) on it. RIM's ... RIM Handheld OS forum

I Use Dial no está en línea Stack level 1

Installing latest OS

Advertisement

I just purchased (used) an 8700c and it has v4.1.0.194 (Platform 2.0.0.90) on it.

RIM's download site (as linked to from cingular.com for the 8700c) lists under 8700c the latest download is for Software Platform 2.0.0.152 and Applications 4.1.0.377.

When I install the software, I get the "Device Application Version Check" program which gives me the following message:

"The system applications that are currently installed on the device are newer than those available with this version of the BlackBerry Desktop Software."

Followed by the option to either "Leave the applications on the device...(Recommended)" or "Replace the device's applications with the older version..."

Why do I get this message if the version is older?

I apologize if someone has already answered this in a previous post some place, but I was unable to find it.

Thanks!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: Installing latest OS

I see where you got confused. The Applications number is NOT the OS version. The OS is also called the Package.

Software For BlackBerry 8700c(TM) BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.1.0.529 (Multilanguage)

Note: Please download the BlackBerry Desktop Software v4.1 and install it first, then install the BlackBerry Handheld software.
    • Package Version: 4.1.0.529
      Consisting of:
      • Software Platform: 2.0.0.152
      • Note: The Software Platform version number can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.
      • Applications: 4.1.0.377
      • Note: The Applications version number can be found under Options-Applications-Modules on the handheld.
    • Filename: 8700M_PBr4.1.0_rel529_PL2.0.0.152_A4.1.0.377_Cingu lar.exe
    • Size: 47.23MB
    • Posted: December 4, 2006
    • Download Software
    • View 8700c Wireless Handheld from Cingular Getting Started Guide, Known Issues, and Release Notes
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 04-08-2007 at 08:50 PM.

Okay, so I look at Settings-Options-About, and it says v4.1.0.194 (Platform 2.0.0.90).

Are these numbers the package and software platform?

I do not have have Options-Applications-Modules. I do have Settings-Options-Advance Options-Applications-(select application)-Modules, but both Core Applications and System Software are all 4.1.0.194.

Thank you for the help.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Quote Originally Posted by I Use Dial
    Okay, so I look at Settings-Options-About, and it says v4.1.0.194 (Platform 2.0.0.90).

Are these numbers the package and software platform?
    yes, you are correct. that is your device OS.

Okay. So if my OS is 4.1.0.194, isn't that an older OS than 4.1.0.529, which I downloaded from RIM?

PIN/ID
    ATA

yep. you got it.
    i would just assume that you were given a device that was shipped with an old OS. are you trying to upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by I Use Dial
    I just purchased (used) an 8700c and it has v4.1.0.194 (Platform 2.0.0.90) on it.

RIM's download site (as linked to from cingular.com for the 8700c) lists under 8700c the latest download is for Software Platform 2.0.0.152 and Applications 4.1.0.377.

When I install the software, I get the "Device Application Version Check" program which gives me the following message:

"The system applications that are currently installed on the device are newer than those available with this version of the BlackBerry Desktop Software."

Followed by the option to either "Leave the applications on the device...(Recommended)" or "Replace the device's applications with the older version..."

Why do I get this message if the version is older?
    Thank you for your help!

I assume you're busy. (o;

PIN/ID
    ATA

you get this message because you have a newer operating system installed on your pc than is on your device.

and no, im not busy at all.

But it states, "the system applications that are currently installed on the device are newer than those available with this version of the BlackBerry Desktop Software."

I take this to mean that the software is reading the OS on the BlackBerry as being older than version it is trying to install. But the version it is supposed to be installing is 4.1.0.529 and the version installed on the BlackBerry is 4.1.0.194.

How can this be?