What is cell broadcasting?... RIM Handheld OS forum

t.brock no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me

I bet there isn't anyone here can answer this question...

Advertisement

What is cell broadcasting?
    Last edited by cp6169; 01-15-2007 at 09:53 AM.
    Thumbs must hurt....
    Crackberry addict........
    Give the lazy man a hard job to do, and he will find the easy way to do it!!!

dolphinrich no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3048e0cb

Re: I bet there isn't anyone here can answer this question...

husnain1 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

lol, that was answered before by somebody, i just forgot what it was. something like an open channel for emergencies and stuff like that.

PIN/ID

here is a definition from the web :

Cell broadcasting is an existing, though rarely used, function of cellular networks and is defined by the official standardisation bodies such as GSM MoU, (GSM 03.49)UMTS, 3GPP/3GPP2 and IS95CDMA.
    Cell broadcasting allows text messages to be broadcast to all mobile handsets in a given geographical area. This area can range from the area covered by a single cell to the whole network. Because cell broadcast works by targeting particular cells no knowledge of mobile telephone numbers is required, unlike bulk SMS. Also cell broadcasting places a very low load on the network, a cell broadcast to every subscriber on the network is equivalent to sending an SMS message to a single phone. Network loading problems can cause severe problems in emergency situations when network usage is likely to be very high anyway and in these circumstances SMS messages can be delayed for hours or days or even lost altogether.
    The cell broadcast technology provides for 64000 broadcast channels so that different types of message (severe weather, terrorist, missing child etc) could be broadcast on different channels. Not every subscriber would necessarily receive all the channels and hence all the messages. Channels can be activated from the handset or remotely by the network. Ideally certain channels would be allocated for certain message types and these would be standardised globally so that travellers would receive alerts wherever they happen to be.

lesawag no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

Ahhh this kind of reminds me of a book by stephen king I just finshed reading..CELL..anyone one besides me read it?? After reading this post it makes me feel a little freaked out!haha read the book and you'll understand!! Haha

g_lopez no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    249E4CF5
    What they said....in addition, callers must have their phones switched on and have activated the function to receive the broadcast.

PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinrich
    lol we found the same article and posted at the same time, now thats freaky

saa001 no está en línea Stack level 2

Is there a list of broadcasts for the United States (specifically in California but I would accept nationwide)?

You said it is rarely used but there has to be someone using it. OES (Office of Emergency Services) would be an ideal use.

Thanks

phab22 no está en línea Stack level 1

I haven't seen any yet but I have read that the government wants to get it in to the mix of emergency info within the next couple of years. I know in Seattle the have done trials with DOT

t.brock no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Quote Originally Posted by husnain1
    here is a definition from the web :

Cell broadcasting is an existing, though rarely used, function of cellular networks and is defined by the official standardisation bodies such as GSM MoU, (GSM 03.49)UMTS, 3GPP/3GPP2 and IS95CDMA.
    Cell broadcasting allows text messages to be broadcast to all mobile handsets in a given geographical area. This area can range from the area covered by a single cell to the whole network. Because cell broadcast works by targeting particular cells no knowledge of mobile telephone numbers is required, unlike bulk SMS. Also cell broadcasting places a very low load on the network, a cell broadcast to every subscriber on the network is equivalent to sending an SMS message to a single phone. Network loading problems can cause severe problems in emergency situations when network usage is likely to be very high anyway and in these circumstances SMS messages can be delayed for hours or days or even lost altogether.
    The cell broadcast technology provides for 64000 broadcast channels so that different types of message (severe weather, terrorist, missing child etc) could be broadcast on different channels. Not every subscriber would necessarily receive all the channels and hence all the messages. Channels can be activated from the handset or remotely by the network. Ideally certain channels would be allocated for certain message types and these would be standardised globally so that travellers would receive alerts wherever they happen to be.

Thanks man, you have answered all....
    Thumbs must hurt....
    Crackberry addict........
    Give the lazy man a hard job to do, and he will find the easy way to do it!!!

bbdummy no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2307E203

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

saa001 no está en línea Stack level 2

Thanks. Since I work for a local municipal governement in California, it would be very helpful to be update in a timely fashion.

Another beneficial application would be Amber Alerts. I just wish there was some way to find out if these things were being looked into.

Quote Originally Posted by phab22
    I haven't seen any yet but I have read that the government wants to get it in to the mix of emergency info within the next couple of years. I know in Seattle the have done trials with DOT

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Cingular provides cell broadcasts of Amber Alerts here in Texas as a service, You can request this service by zip code. I don't know if it is a fee based service or a public service.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles