So I just went to vzam.net/blackberry, selected by 8830, and device upgrade, entered my phone ... RIM Handheld OS forum

nateshiner no está en línea Stack level 2

Help!! Software upgrade killed my BB

Advertisement

So I just went to vzam.net/blackberry, selected by 8830, and device upgrade, entered my phone number and did the download.

then i followed the instructions when synching up, and it auto backup'd, started the whole process, went on for a few minutes, and ended with something to the effect of (but perhaps not exact words) "Upload incomplete...unable to restore from backup file. backup file at [filename]"

Automatically, desktop manager then listed the BB as disconnected.

Now I have a blank screen, and the LED blinks red 4 times rapidly every couple seconds...

And, I'm on hold with VZW customer service (they haven't answered yet...)

(also, i've done a battery pull a couple times...no difference)

help?!!! pleeeeeease

thanks,
    Nate

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Help!! Software upgrade killed my BB

Ok, connect it again and try to run the application loader again, this time don't check the backup and restore options. Be patient as it's probably going to take quite a while if it works. If it works, then try a restore. If you have any problems let us know and we'll go from there, but remember to note exactly what it tells you.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

desktop manager is not even detecting the device....so i can't even get the app loader to communicate with the bb....

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

i'm working on these directions, and just retrying it....the verizon guy is being very patient on the phone, fortunately....

if this doesn't work, looks like i'll have to wait until tuesday to receive a new phone

Lava girl, thanks for those directions....i am resorting to downloading the JDE and becoming more technologically inclined than ever before! The verizon guy went ahead and ordered a new phone for me but i'm going to try this program to see what I can find

...here goes an adventure!

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Good luck nateshiner and let us know how it goes! Glad you're getting a new BB
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

Okay, believe it or not, i did search before I started this thread (but still didn't find that great link lavagirl put up).

After trying it over a dozen times, playing around with JDE, clicking my heels (the timing on this is everything ), renewing my faith in the powers that be, and strategically removing and inserting the battery at various times (in accordance with and against directions in the linked thread!), then hitting the alt-cap-del function multiple times during the hourglass, and cursing the now-mythical errors 507 & 543....

...I finally reset the blasted thing. And to think, my previous technological expertise was limited to gmail. Now I can do a bunch of stuff and not even know how I succeeded

Oh, well...limited success...., once it was done, it said something about an uncaught exception.... I'll keep working on this....

Update: All of my 3rd party apps disappeared, even though I restored from the backup "pre-disaster"....So I did a full shut down, pulled the battery for a minute, and restarted it....

they are still not there...oh well. Oddly, it restored my all my messages..... I think I'll log onto BIS and send the service books for good measure

and the browser is missing...

EDIT....sending service books solved that ...somehow!!
    Last edited by nateshiner; 11-02-2007 at 09:58 PM.

i just tried another upgrade (from 148 to 176 both on 4.2.2), and this all happened again...the funny thing is that after all the drama last time, the upgrade to 148 actually did occur

i sure hope this is just a problem with trying to upgrade while using windows Vista, and not a problem with my blackberry itself....

crappers... i might really have an expensive paperweight on my hands...

amigo no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32C401AE

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    It did the same thing to me. They ended up giving me another 8830. The firmware upgrade is a known problem. It took me 3 calls to customer service to resolve the issue as they gave me things to try to resolve issue. Also, mine rebooted without warning regularly. Another known issue with the upgrade. Good luck!