I recently bought a 7100g and I'm just trying a few different things. I donwloaded ... RIM Handheld OS forum

dps22387 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Help installing Software onto Blackberry

Advertisement

I recently bought a 7100g and I'm just trying a few different things. I donwloaded the desktop software from blackberry and now i'm trying to figure out how to transfer different things to my handheld using a usb, but i can't seem to figure out how. I would really like to get a web browser onto the phone. Can anyone help?

jlesh no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D95340

Re: Help installing Software onto Blackberry

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Do you have a data plan? If you do, when you Register your handheld on your network and send Service Books, the BlackBerry Browser should appear. You can do this through your device, and I can explain to you how to do it, but you might want to call your carrier and have them guide you through it. However, if you do not have a data plan you can download Opera Mini onto your PC and install it on your device via AppLoader in the Desktop Manager software with the USB cable. I don't know the download site off the top of my head but you could just do a Google search. Keep in mind, if you don't have a data plan and use the internet you will be charged on a per session basis by your carrier which could get very expensive. Good luck and let me know if you need any additional help.

d_fisher no está en línea Stack level 3

You can not transfer files between you 7100g and the PC via USB cable. Security design of the device.

PIN/ID
    23D95340

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Do have a data plan? If not, and what dfisher says is true(never heard of that before and I had a 7100t which I could install via USB and also how do you possibly download software which isn't available OTA) then you won't be able to get a browser on your device. Without the data plan you can't get the BB browser, and if you can't install via USB, the only option would be to download Over-The-Air but without the browser that is impossible. Sort of a catch 22. Regardless, getting a data plan makes sense because it enables you to do so many more things and have more capabilities with your device and without it you just have a glorified cell phone. Good luck. Just ask if you need additional help or advice.

Question Re: Help installing Software onto Blackberry

Thanks for the help, how do I get a data plan and what exactly is it? I'm new to all of this.

PIN/ID
    23D95340

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~You just have to call your service provider and they will give you their specific options for data plans. A data plan is like your voice plan, exept for data services like internet, push e-mail, and PIN messaging. Who is your carrier?

d_fisher no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by jlesh
    never heard of that before and I had a 7100t which I could install via USB and also how do you possibly download software which isn't available OTA
    Installing software via USB and the Application Loader is one thing, transfering files (ringtones, photos, etc) is another. You can not transfer files to/from the handheld via USB (or Bluetooth) unless you have handheld software 4.2 and Desktop Manager 4.2.

Oh ok, I do have that already, because with my old phone I was able to access the internet.

PIN/ID
    23D95340

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~You might have one, but not neccesarilly(and probably not by the way it sounds). I used to have an internet service from my carrier(T-Mobile) on my regular cell phone before I had a BB. That is a simple browser called a WAP browser. With a Blackberry there are specific data plans that incorporate HTML browser(much more full-featured than WAP browser), PIN messaging(which is a Blackberry specific messaging service) and push e-mail(which is the e-mail technology used by Blackberry to automaticaly route your e-mail accounts to your BBs messages folder). Usualy these plans are $20+ a month(so you usually know if you have one). One way to know(other than calling your carrier to find out) is if by your service indicator(# of "bars") it will say GPRS or EDGE in all caps. If it doesn't say that and it is there in lower case or says GSM or something else then you don't have a data plan. If you do already have one then you will have no problem registering your BB and sending service books and then the BB browser will show up on your home screen. Did you buy your BB from store or on eBay or something? Usually when you purchase at a store or directly from your carrier they will talk to you about a data plan and sign you up for one. If you don't have one then I recommend getting one. It will give your BB so many more capabilities, otherwise you just have a fancy cell phone with a better keyboard.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

dps22387, Welcome to PinStack.

You have to have a Blackberry Specific Data Plan. On Cingular, the Unlimited BlackBerry Personal Internet Plan is $35.99/$29.99, and replaces any non BB plan that you may currently have. There is a slightly cheaper one that has limited data allowance, with additional charges applicable for exceedint the limit. One of these is absolutely necessary to be able to use any of the Data services available to your BB on Cingular. With out one, all you will have is the Voice/SMS/Pim functions of the Blackberry.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles