Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Advantages of upgrading to RIM's Blackberry 4.1 OS Here's the most complete list of improvements ... RIM Handheld OS forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Post General and 4.1 Blackberry OS Guide

Advertisement

Advantages of upgrading to RIM's Blackberry 4.1 OS
    Here's the most complete list of improvements (4.0 to 4.1) available on the web. Device used: My 7290

Messaging
    • When composing a message, the 'auto find while typing' feature (commonly used in MS Outlook gmail, yahoo!, MS IE address bar etc) is used to help suggest the sender by auto searching the email address based on each character typed.
    • Improved message searching - better filters and more search options
    • Forward As - Forward and email as email, PIN or SMS option
    User Interface/ Navigation
    • Themes are more user friendly and improvements on icons, graphics and overall look (You can download themes OTA)
    • Web browser not only load faster but the cache has improved significantly due to size increase and usage optimization. The loading status bar now has page size, image download progress (e.g. 2 of 10) and more.
    • BB Messenger gets new main screen icon
    • The Calendar, Task (Snooze option) Tasks with deadlines now show up in your calendar and BrickBreaker took on some minor improvements.
    • The Calculator is actually usable now! Check it out! (esp. on 7290).
    • New font face BBClarity
    • Overall speed improvement in loading and general device speed.
    • Compose icon removed - have to many icon on your main screen? He's one less. You now compose within the Messages section. I've found it less confusing. Check and send in one place.
    • Saved messages icon removed - you nowaccess saved messages within the Messages menu.
    • Hide sent messaged - get rid of all of the sent check marks you may choose to hide them.
    • Download themes link added to themes in 'Options' / 'themes'
    • Download Images link added to Pictures menu.
    • Database sizes - going to 'options' / 'status' then pressing the trackwheel for the menu there's a new Database sizes option.
    • 'Options beefed up, while list simplified' - no more endless scrolling through options. Made more simple using sub categories.
    • Application Permissions - you can now set specific permissions for each application installed on your Blackberry. You can Allow, Prompt or Deny Connections, Interactions and User data settings. Each having sub categories to expand.
    • Firewall settings more robust

Miscellaneous
    • Profiles - HUGE improvements. With the "Use Active Profile Except for: Important Calls" Your Wife/Husband will be glad for this when you're in a meeting and she has an emergency. Or you can just select to mute all calls from a specific number. Still in profiles you can setup custom these tones for specific numbers and also email of important family or associates.
    • Bluetooth now has Desktop Connectivity Wireless Bypass for wireless Desktop sync. Works on all confirmed models below.
    To install the 4.1 OS see: How to: OS 4.1 Upgrade for your Blackberry

Still Available from 4.0
    • Handheld 4.0 adds few new and very useful features such as, the ability to use certain BES-only applications without BES and just with regular Web Client service. (This is done via the new TCP settings used in 4.0 - Documentation can be found on RIM’s website).
    • In addition the BB 4.0 gives users the ability to save pictures locally, save passwords/credit card #’s etc in a secure encrypted “password keeper”, the ability to attach a device to the BES environment OTA with no need for USB registering of the device onto the MS Exchange list. (Useful for traveling persons who replace a device and can’t return home to be added to BES)
    • For new BB users there’s now a built in help/FAQ that covers all aspects of the device and its services. There are a couple more enhancements but you’ll probably find them.
    • Remember 4.0 and better used more device memory the 7290 and other 32mb-Bluetooth BlackBerries are best suited for v4.0 and above. As usual you can choose what applications are installed saving some memory.

BlackBerry General OS Software - Download guide.

Upgrades are now available for all models of Blackberry except for the 55XX series and 8-megabyte models.

Bell Mobility
    https://www.blackberry.com/SoftwareD...ient=aMlbMFchE

Sprint
    https://www.blackberry.com/SoftwareD...ient=URNZcPHMm

Verizon
    http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/

Telstra Australia
    https://www.blackberry.com/SoftwareD...ient=eiKaMQ2dL

Hong Kong CSL (4.1 Available)
    https://www.blackberry.com/SoftwareD...ient=cB5RB4aRB

Cingular
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...E4F82F9F00E7D4

Nextel
    https://www.blackberry.com/SoftwareD...ient=biTZdMddN

T-Mobile
    http://software.se.t-mobile.com/

Rogers
    https://www.blackberry.com/SoftwareD...ient=biERdLcdT

Vodafone UK
    https://www.blackberry.com/SoftwareD...ient=HZMHZfRPj
    Last edited by hayden; 01-25-2006 at 07:29 PM.

gwgaston no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: BlackBerry OS 4.0 Software Downloads

PIN/ID
    ask
    What model Blackberry do you currently use?

Quote Originally Posted by hydn
    What model Blackberry do you currently use?
    As of the first of Feb it is the 7250... Previously the 7750, before that various other models back to the 950 I picked up in 1999.

I see that if you specify your PIN that it is shown when you post... Model might be a good thing to show as well... But I'll save that for the Suggestion section. 8)

PIN/ID
    ask
    7750 series to 7250 series? Isn't that like a downgrade? The 77's are a big big though right?

Naw

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_N
    7750 series to 7250 series? Isn't that like a downgrade? The 77's are a big big though right?
    Definitely not a downgrade... The 7250 is a newer blackberry device (one of the newest as of this posting), but it uses an older form factor. The 7750 does have the larger 240x240 screen (compared to the 240x160), is thinner, and I liked the cradle and the placement of things (like the headset jack, scrollwheel being closer to the face of the unit, etc), BUT it is dog!!! And forget running 4.0 with addins like SSP on the 7750. Performance difference between the 7250 and the 7750 is like night and day for me. Too bad Verizon still knows nothing about Blackberry support. :-)

7750 = 14MB flash / 2MB SRAM

7250 = 32MB flash / 4MB SRAM

PIN/ID
    ask
    Yes the 7250 and 7290 perform a lot quicker. Esp. using handheld 4.0 and superfast using 3.7. nice upgrade. lets hope the hardware upgarde comes for future 7700's.

PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Naw

Oh ok cool I didn't realise the hardware differnce. It would be a factor. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gwgaston
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_N
    Definitely not a downgrade... The 7250 is a newer blackberry device (one of the newest as of this posting), but it uses an older form factor. The 7750 does have the larger 240x240 screen (compared to the 240x160), is thinner, and I liked the cradle and the placement of things (like the headset jack, scrollwheel being closer to the face of the unit, etc), BUT it is dog!!! And forget running 4.0 with addins like SSP on the 7750. Performance difference between the 7250 and the 7750 is like night and day for me. Too bad Verizon still knows nothing about Blackberry support. :-)

7750 = 14MB flash / 2MB SRAM

7250 = 32MB flash / 4MB SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by gwgaston
    One thing worth mentioning here is that handheld software for the Verizon 7250 (which come with 4.0.0.204) is still not available for download. This device has been available to business customers for over a month now.

Gerald W. Gaston
    Well I bugged Verizon for a month straight for the handheld code and first they promised to have it posted by 3-1-2005... Then a tech told me to "just load the 7750 software as it is 4.0 too" :-) hehehe yeah right.

Having no luck with Verizon, yesterday I started a TSupport call with RIM. They initial told me the expected "talk to your carrier", but after a few rounds of emails with the last from me being a spill about how "RIM needs to take some position of authority with carriers that resale devices with RIM's name on it.", today I get an email back from them that says:

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support. We are pleased to assist you.

The latest version of the BlackBerry handheld application software for the BlackBerry 7250 Wireless Handheld has been posted on Verizon's website.

http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/

Maybe Verizon was going to post it anyway but a little yelling and screaming never hurts. :wink:

Gerald W. Gaston

PIN/ID
    ask
    Thanks for the update and link! 8)

PIN/ID
    ask

update: New RIM software added to Cingular and Verizon. Rogers soon...

nutsnbolts no está en línea Stack Mod

I'm confused, these are not new upgrades are they? This has been out for quite some time.
    Pinstack.com – where Blackberry Professionals Connect!
    Got Stacked? Then Join Stack Groups today, coming 24-July-06!

six2six no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    30152CC5

I think they are talking of BB OS 4.1, correct me if I'm wrong.

PIN/ID
    ask

that's correct six2six.. esp for verizon. thanks.

six2six no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    30152CC5

hey hydn any clue on when the 4.1OS will be available for the 7250? or are the OS carrier specific?

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast