Okay, I've been sitting on this thought for a while now and need to get ... RIM Handheld OS forum

dlsolo no está en línea Stack level 3

Future OS feature... Apps on SD Card

Okay, I've been sitting on this thought for a while now and need to get it off my chest.... Installing applications on the SD card (or even the Device Memory).

I know this is something that is not possible right now, but I don't see why RIM can't come up with an idea that would allow this possibility, especially if they don't increase the available space.

Here is my thought. Just about everyone one of use has an SD card inserted into our BB's. Why can't the OS mate the SD card to our Blackberry with some type of encryption or hash that would only allow the SD card to be used on that Blackberry, unless you format it to be used on another Blackberry? Does that make sense? If not, let me go a little further.

Example, I have a 16GB SD card in my Storm2. The first time I insert that new card and format it within the OS, it could format the card and use some type of authentication so the Blackberry knows this card is to be used solely to it. That way, RIM can ensure there would be no software (apps) violation possible. I'm not sure that is the issue at hand but it would take care of that concern.

Yes, SD cards do read a bit slower than the internal memory, but most apps get executed and reside in the Blackberry cache (i'm guessing).

Is there something I'm missing? This sounds like a means to allow use to gain usage of our SD cards to install apps on. Heck, instead of just adding some time of mating encryption to the card, the format could create a hidden folder with a unknown/unique password to allow the OS to install apps (or allow the option) on the SD card.

Someone tell me if I'm smoking something here? To me, this sounds plausible!
    Current OS: Mark Hayes 9550 v2.1 Hybrid - Help and Support Team
    Google Talk:

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Sounds like it is possible. I hope they do come out with this feature soon. I know it would increase the use of AppWorld because many users stay away from apps due to the memory it would consume on their devices (not to mention the memory leaks on most, if not all, BlackBerry's).

I don't know how it would work technically but I don't know why they don't start allowing apps to memory cards.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    Ask Me
    Sounds like a good idea, but RIM does not even allow us to use the full amount of internal memory for applications. My Bold has 1GB of onboard memory yet only a tiny fraction of that is available for apps, and the OS takes up a big chunk of that small percentage

RIM needs to be able to access the full amount of internal memory first, once they are capable of that the next step is to make use of the SD card

Just my $0.02 worth