I have a blackberry in my possession I have been trying to unlock for the ... RIM Handheld OS forum

larrydynx no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    202258BC

Firewall

Advertisement

I have a blackberry in my possession I have been trying to unlock for the past 3 days.
    It initially meant me upgrading it to a 4.X from 3.X and so on. Then I had to connect to a remote server from some company i bought credit from to get the codes.
    But there seems to be a firewall on this BB which can't be disabled, preventing connection. I tried using the wipe function from the javaloader but the message "Error: Unable to open port " pops up. I am guessing it is the same firewall.
    Is there any way this firewall (in the security menu)can be disabled or is there a walk around this?
    The BB is from cingular

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Firewall

larrydynx, Welcome to PinStack.

The firewall can be disabled under Options/Security Options, unless your BB was used on a BES and has an IT Policy that prohibits disabling the Firewall. When does this error "unable to open port" occur?

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Hi larry, welcome to pinstack. Have you tried to reset the firewall? May not help, but it is worth a shot. One time I was blocked to all connections from a certain site, and when I reset the firewall I was good to go.

mavrik666 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2010578D

As mentioned in my thread and others, it seems that the problem people are having is that there is no option to disable the firewall in the options menu.
    I know that mine was previously on a BES, but is now used on PAYT.

It would seem that we need someone to re-write the policy.bin to include a command to disable the firewall.
    More and mroe people are buying ex-BES BB's from eBay, and I think this is where the problem is starting, they are no longer connecfted to a BES but still have the menu lock associated with the BES they where on.

The policy.bin that we are all using to disable the IT Policy may well be removing the information about the ITP from the Settings /Security page, but it is not removing any settings or re-applying any menu options.
    Can the policy.bin be re-written to make this happen??

Obelix25860 no está en línea Stack level 1

Not just the firewall - most ex-BES BBs will also block bluetooth sync, and the policy.bin going around to disable the password, doesn't renable Bluetooth. Does anybody know of a policy.bin that allows to disable the firewall and enable bluetooth sync?

Thanks,

jcallaway no está en línea Stack level 1

so how did you convert yours to PAYT. I am interested because i to have run into this same problem and i need to get in the phone to switch service providers

Quote Originally Posted by mavrik666 View Post
    As mentioned in my thread and others, it seems that the problem people are having is that there is no option to disable the firewall in the options menu.
    I know that mine was previously on a BES, but is now used on PAYT.

It would seem that we need someone to re-write the policy.bin to include a command to disable the firewall.
    More and mroe people are buying ex-BES BB's from eBay, and I think this is where the problem is starting, they are no longer connecfted to a BES but still have the menu lock associated with the BES they where on.

The policy.bin that we are all using to disable the IT Policy may well be removing the information about the ITP from the Settings /Security page, but it is not removing any settings or re-applying any menu options.
    Can the policy.bin be re-written to make this happen??