I have had my 8320 for about 14 months with T-mobile network. In the past ... RIM Handheld OS forum

ntc1 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Crashing.. not sure related to version update,,

Advertisement

I have had my 8320 for about 14 months with T-mobile network. In the past 2 weeks, I have had several episodes (sometimes 2-3 times a day) of the phone dying in the middle of a conversation. These episodes were usually preceded by a light buzzing sound which could be heard by me and the other person I was talking to. Then the phone would just die... screen blacked out and no response from any key. I had to reset it by taking out the battery and reinsert it. However, more than half the time the device would crash again in the same way even without having another call in the process. The phone battery usually register at least 1/3 the reserve power bars.
    I could think of two things that may affect this:
    1. I updated to version 4.5 using the t-mobile web site download (apparently successfully) and the desk top manager about 3-4 weeks ago.
    2, My battery is 14 months old, with the device on all the time and charged about every 2-3 days. I use e-mail quick frequently but talk about 15 minutes a day on the average.
    Any ideas? OS update problem vs old fashioned battery problems? Thanks in advance.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    This to me sounds more like the battery than an OS install issue. If you aren't to thrilled about the cost of a new battery you could try reinstalling the OS but would probably in the end find yourself buying the battery anyway.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    to rule out the battery, just got up to your local dealer and ask if you could use a models battery(they may even let you keep it, happend to me twice ). try making a few calls and see if it happens. i know you only said it happens 2-3 times a day but you never know. if worse comes to worst, try downgrading or doing a wipe and install of the 4.5

ntc1 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks

I am pretty sure you are right about the battery being the problem. When I starting hearing the buzzing sounding preceding crashes previously, I would prevent the crash by plugging the charger. Funny the battery meter never showed that it was low on power. I will get a new battery.

bokal no está en línea Stack level 1
    i was having the exact same problem. i have the 8320 on the tmobile network. i was able to get a friends unwanted 8320 and play around with the batteries. it seems that my original battery that i was having problems with, was behaving the same way in my friend's phone. it would die within half an hour or so. i switched the batteries and started using the battery from my friend's phone, in my phone. i'm starting to notice after about one week of use, that this one might be starting to act the same way. i was on a phone call and the phone kept buzzing every 15-20 secs or so. person on the other end kept claiming it was loud. this went on for about 10 mins. i ended the call and called back twice only to find out that the "buzz" was still there. after my call was done, i removed the battery and placed it back in to restart it. after it finishes booting up, the battery is at 0%.

in my humble opinion, i doubt this is a battery issue. it seems very much like an OS upgrade issue. 4.5 is completely devouring the battery. i think i might downgrade to avoid this issue all together.

any other input on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ntc1 View Post
    I have had my 8320 for about 14 months with T-mobile network. In the past 2 weeks, I have had several episodes (sometimes 2-3 times a day) of the phone dying in the middle of a conversation. These episodes were usually preceded by a light buzzing sound which could be heard by me and the other person I was talking to. Then the phone would just die... screen blacked out and no response from any key. I had to reset it by taking out the battery and reinsert it. However, more than half the time the device would crash again in the same way even without having another call in the process. The phone battery usually register at least 1/3 the reserve power bars.
    I could think of two things that may affect this:
    1. I updated to version 4.5 using the t-mobile web site download (apparently successfully) and the desk top manager about 3-4 weeks ago.
    2, My battery is 14 months old, with the device on all the time and charged about every 2-3 days. I use e-mail quick frequently but talk about 15 minutes a day on the average.
    Any ideas? OS update problem vs old fashioned battery problems? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by bokal; 12-16-2008 at 03:00 AM.

bokal no está en línea Stack level 1
    found a solution to this problem...

buy a new battery. my curve works perfectly fine now.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by bokal View Post
    found a solution to this problem...

buy a new battery. my curve works perfectly fine now.
    Are you saying your humble opinion has changed?? I'm just joking glad you found a fix.