My 8830 (Verizon) v4.2.2.66 can not successfully browse to the web page hosted by my ... RIM Handheld OS forum

jmgalm no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Can't browse to page hosted by camera.

Advertisement

My 8830 (Verizon) v4.2.2.66 can not successfully browse to the web page hosted by my IP security camera.

The camera is a LEVEL1 model FCS-1030, which hosts a web page that allows control and configuration of the camera, as well as showing a square screen of video and audio as seen by the camera. The HTTP is on TCP/IP port 8008 and the RTSP is on the standard 554 port. The video streams using MPEG4 format according to the camera manual. The manual for the camera is at the level1 web site.

When I browse to the camera from a PC, <URL here>:8008 using IE6, everything works perfectly.

When I browse to <URL here>:8008 from my 8830, the navigation buttons and links are misaligned with their icons, the display is not fully painted with the background color, and there is no sign of the video box.

I've tried many combinations of Browser Configuration and General Properties options, but to no avail. Occasionally, there is an ERROR 400 dialog box depending on the options.

Does anyone have a suggestion to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.

jmgalm.

itguy01 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    317A9B46

Re: Can't browse to page hosted by camera.

Most camera interfaces use a combination of Java and HTML. Since the BB Browser that comes with the phone does not support html it wont load. You will have to either buy one of the browsers from a site such as Pinstack or crackberry or handango. They usually run around 20-30 dollars. Or you could use a BES server since it comes with a HTML browser. Kepp in mind tho those are expensive in the 1000's most of the time.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

The blackberry doesn't handle streaming video yet. I imagine that this is what the problem is. As far as I know, no browser available for the Blackberry will show streaming video.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Thanks for the quick reply and good information, itguy01 and Rcbjr.

If there is no BlackBerry browser that supports streaming video or an activeX control for streaming video, then my basic question is answered. The camera can be set up to detect movement and email snapshots, which will be the next best thing to watching live video.

I am curious though, if the standard BlackBerry browser does not support HTML, then how does it properly display normal web pages? (Forgive my curiosity – I’m an old computer cat but new to the world of BlackBerry.)

jmgalm.

itguy01 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    317A9B46

Thumbs up Re: Can't browse to page hosted by camera.

Some HTML does appear correctly (i.e. that which is coded for a mobile device.) If the code was designed for a normal browser which I imagine the camera was then it will not show up where as something such as the mobile Youtube site will appear (m.youtube.com) Hopefully this answers your question...

Thumbs up Re: Can't browse to page hosted by camera.

Thanks, itguy01. That takes care of the question.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Actually it does support normal HTML code. Most video steams use an HTML extension such as a flash player. The BB doesn't support Flash based media (Yet).

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles