What's the deal with BlackBerry OS and memory? When I was using my BlackBerry Curve ... RIM Handheld OS forum

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA

BlackBerry OS & Memory Management

Advertisement

What's the deal with BlackBerry OS and memory?

When I was using my BlackBerry Curve 8300 (running BlackBerry OS 4.2.2.x), I almost spent more time doing "battery pulls" than I did using the device!

At the time, my use of BlackBerry OS was limited to only very specific tasks, yet I would be doing "battery pull" after "battery pull" after "battery pull"!

On the other hand, to date I have NEVER had to do a "battery pull" on my BlackBerry 8800 because of memory issues... EVER!

My BlackBerry 8800 gets more use than my BlackBerry Curve 8300 would have seen in a lifetime - I heavily use multiple Internet browsers, have 30-ish applications installed, 10+ themes and casully use multiple GPS applications...

Yet I have never once had my BlackBerry 8800 complain about memory!

What is the deal with this?

You would think that the newer version of BlackBerry OS would manage memory better, yet it seems that Research in Motion (RIM) have taken three steps backwards!

Sure, the newer version of BlackBerry OS is a LOT more stable than that found on my BlackBerry 8800, but memory management is PATHETIC!

Anyone know why memory management is so bad in BlackBerry OS 4.2.2.x, and whether this is likely to improve in BlackBerry OS 4.5.x?

In my opinion, if RIM could combine the stability (and functionality!) of BlackBerry OS 4.2.2.x with the memory management of BlackBerry OS 4.2.1.x, they'd have a pretty mean offering against their competitors...

~ Posted wirelessly from my BlackBerry 8800 (http://wap.pinstack.com) ~

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    I honestly think it's the specific OS on the device that determines memory management. You could run 4.2.2.114 on a Curve and you could be doing battery pulls all day, but run 4.2.2.181 and never have to do one. It seems that some versions of the OS just do better than others. I don't think it has that much to do with the model of BB you have.

If you had a different version OS on the 8800 you may have a different experience.

thecoolfool no está en línea Stack level 3
    I hope OS 4.5 solves this little problem.
    Holler at me if you need some fresh ringtones.

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    Quote Originally Posted by DCookSta View Post
    If you had a different version OS on the 8800 you may have a different experience.
    Well BlackBerry OS 4.2.1.x on my BlackBerry 8800 handles memory like a dream, but crashes constantly; BlackBerry OS 4.2.2.x on my BlackBerry Curve 8300 though, is TERRIBLE with memory management, but rarely crashes!

Quote Originally Posted by thecoolfool View Post
    I hope OS 4.5 solves this little problem.
    Fingers crossed!

ward23 no está en línea Stack level 2
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~well imma dl 4.5 in like an hour ill tell ya how it is

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Quote Originally Posted by CybaCowboy View Post
    Well BlackBerry OS 4.2.1.x on my BlackBerry 8800 handles memory like a dream, but crashes constantly; BlackBerry OS 4.2.2.x on my BlackBerry Curve 8300 though, is TERRIBLE with memory management, but rarely crashes!

I'm not sure if you can lump them together like that. I guess it depends on what gets changed from version to version...Random example...4.2.1.104 may have memory issues on your 8800, but 4.2.1.109 may not. I'm kind of reaching here, but I would check and see if you have the latest os for both phones, maybe some of the crashes or memory issues have been fixed.