Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've seen how to unlock the vendor themes, I've played around and deleted the vendor ... RIM Handheld OS forum

jrhorner71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    @5K

Smile Blackberry.alx modified

Advertisement

I've seen how to unlock the vendor themes, I've played around and deleted the vendor themes (which took off my verizon theme also with no problems to BB), now what i want to know is if anyone has tried adding the custom themes into the file for updating? What I'm actually trying to do is put one of raton's themes I've downloaded into the actual blackberry.alx; and I know I need the themes .cod file as well in the java folder, into an actual os upgrade. Can this be done?

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro
    Yes and in my blog here: http://forums.pinstack.com/blogs/109163/blog463.html I describe how to do it for another theme file application. You can use the instructions for your purpose with a little modification.

I need to add that before you change the coding in blackberry.alx always do a backup of that file. :-)

PIN/ID
    @5K
    Thanks I'll check the link out and of course backup everything.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

NickAC no está en línea Stack level 3
    Is there an advantage to adding custom themes to the Blackberry.alx file vs installing the normal way through PC zip file or OTA?

Quote Originally Posted by NickAC View Post
    Is there an advantage to adding custom themes to the Blackberry.alx file vs installing the normal way through PC zip file or OTA?
    No. As a matter of fact, I think it's a disadvantage to use blackberry.alx because it (imho) complicates what really should be quite simple (loading/deleting a theme as a separate ap as opposed to re-writing the blackberry.alx coding). I prefer to steer people away from altering the blackberry.alx at all. For example, if you loaded up memory with multi-media files and wanted to delete some themes to free memory, it's quite a longer process when the theme is included in the blackberry.alx instructions. Additionally, loading a theme via blackberry.alx requires a complete re-install (or, rather, update) of the OS with each installation/deletion.

Blackberry.alx is, simply put, the list of instructions that tells the Application Loader in DM what to load and what not to load onto a BlackBerry during OS installation. Making even a small error in syntax when changing these instructions can occupy one of your entire afternoons with software repair work!

NickAC no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    No. As a matter of fact, I think it's a disadvantage to use blackberry.alx because it (imho) complicates what really should be quite simple (loading/deleting a theme as a separate ap as opposed to re-writing the blackberry.alx coding).
    That was kind of my hunch - thanks for the explanation!

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    They only option where this would be something to do would be maybe if you are setting up a bunch of blackberries for a business, and you want to install the same thing to all of them maybe a custom business branded theme ?
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Quote Originally Posted by rashard View Post
    They only option where this would be something to do would be maybe if you are setting up a bunch of blackberries for a business, and you want to install the same thing to all of them maybe a custom business branded theme ?
    I wouldn't. In order to do this, you would have to copy the edited blackberry.alx to each individual's PC or trust them to do it correctly - that's a lot of computer trust. If I was setting up BlackBerrys for a business, I would be tickled if no-one but me knew there was such a thing as a blackberry.alx file and its purpose!

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    Dont most blackberry admins set up the phone for the semi moronic people that get them lol? My friend has one and he has to take it in to the boss once a month and they sync it and all that jaz, then he picks it back up on monday, and he reloads the OS for them when it crashed.

He works in the field for a security company (supervisor) and doesnt have a computer at work.
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

PIN/ID
    @5K
    Actually guys all I was doing was adding a theme to the blackberry.alx only because it is one I wanted there permenantly. Doughboys blog helped and another post showed me how to backup and extract the cod file I needed to complete the process. All in all I'm happy with it.

boxaberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    A5KM341T
    This is a bit off topic, but I didn't want to start a thread... Is there a way to open up backed up files off the computer, without reloading them onto a blackberry?

more or less i've backed up my buddies phone, and after having upgraded, all his pictures were gone. I'm just trying to figure out if the backup portion of the process had saved his pictures, and if there was a method of extracting them through the computer.

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    You can open the backup file but the pictures I think aren't there...to open it you need any software that can open .ipd extensions...
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Unless they were saved to the memory card...

Hope the helps...

Thb

boxaberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    A5KM341T
    Alright so they are NOT going to be in the backup file?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast