Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OK Where to start... I was given a T-Mobile BB 8100 which I successfully unlocked ... RIM Handheld OS forum

EnigmaPrime no está en línea Stack level 1

Blackberry 8100 T-Mobile to AT&T OS issue

Advertisement

OK Where to start...
    I was given a T-Mobile BB 8100 which I successfully unlocked to work with AT&T.
    Only issue was no internet.
    I tried several work-arrounds to no avail.

So I decided to try a OS upgrade & now I wish I did not.
    http://www.blackberryforums.com/blac...ip-no-bes.html (this is the one that screwed me up I think)

I have BB Desktop 4.5 installed
    I have tried the Cingular OS
    As Im not a T-Mobile customer I cannot download the T-Mobile OS from their site.

I have a used T-Mobile sim card which is not active, again I'm a AT&T customer & this is an unlocked T-0mobile phone.

Tried the BB 4.2.0.61 for 8100 http://www.vodafone.de/hilfe-support...19_113858.html
    Connects ok
    Erases applications ok
    Loading System Software ok
    Waiting for device init ok
    (At this point my driver install window at botom right of my screen tells me device Drivers install successfull)
    Waiting for JVM Failed
    Unable to reconnect to device during multi-stage load operation.

Still get reconnect issue half way thru install each time & yes tried several times

With battery in & out.

Tried JL Commander but I end up with either no response or I get the debug: comm error.

I have tried several web solutions for several hours now but no joy.

Q. Being a T-Mobile Phone but I'm a AT&T customer, which Handheld software do I use?
    Q. Why does JL Cmndr nor work for me.

I've tried so many solutions I'm at my witts end.

Has anyone got advice?
    Thank You.
    Last edited by EnigmaPrime; 07-11-2008 at 06:49 PM.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Hi

Welcome to Pinstack. I'm not sure exactly what your problem is but take a breath and we'll get this worked out for you.

First what version of the OS do you want to install? Can you get a version from AT&T that you'd be happy with? I'd advise against 4.5 unless you have time for debugging - most of the 4.5 releases aren't quite free of problems.

I guess another question is do you have a data plan? If not that may be part of the problem getting an AT&T OS.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

At this point I'm open to what ever version you suggest.
    I get a little confused regarding these versions so please bare with me.

Desktop Manager 4.5 is what you are referring to right? Not the hand held software!

I can uninstall everything & start from scratch if you would like, just link me if possible to which ever software you'd like me to try.

I have a unlimited data plan with AT&T.

Also
    As Im still trying to work this problem I just got a 547 flash error.
    Any error at this point is going forward, Ive already googled it & am trying a couple of solutions Ive found, no progress yet though

I'm referring to the handheld OS. You should be OK with the Desktop Manager 4.5 that you have installed. It's what I've been using for a week or so and it seems alright.

Now, if you have a data plan you can look in here and get the most current release (not a 4.5 to start with) that you want. Try the AT&T 4.2.1.154 just to get you going and then let's go from there. (The 1st thing you need is one that works, right?)
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

I'm downloading this version now

Code:
    Software For BlackBerry Pearl (8100c) (AT&T) 			 		 	 	 	 		  	 	 	 	 		 			BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.1.154 (Multilanguage) 

Package Version: 4.2.1.154
    Consisting of: 
    • Applications: 4.2.1.96
    • Software Platform: 2.3.0.78
    • File name: 8100M_PBr4.2.1_rel154_PL2.3.0.78_A4.2.1.96_ATT.exe
    • File size: 72.91MB
    I'll let you know how i get on.
    Thanks jblackfish

OK, Do you know how to install software using Destop Manager - Application loader? If you do it should be fairly straightforward once you get the OS downloaded.

Post how it goes and I'll be around.

Enigma,

I'm signing off for now - I've got to move on. I'll be on for a few minutes in the morning but I've got a meeting from 9am-1pm tomorrow so it'll be afternoon before I'm really back. In the mean time see the following:

Now, for later, if you ever want to install an OS from another source other than YOUR carrier you can - we do this all the time to get newer releases.. It just HAS to be for your specific device, in this case, the 8100. When you do this you download the OS, delete the vendor.xml file, and then install it to your device using the desktop manager. Here is a thread that posts the latest releases by device - be warned that they are not always the best releases and, in my opinion where 4.5 is concerned, not even practical yet. I'd stay away from 4.5 unless you have a lot of patience and time to fool with the problems. Admittedly, they DO have some nice features though. (You'll know when they're a little more usuable if you follow the discussions in Pinstack.

Here's a thread that will help you with the install from any carrier. Be patient when installing. Sometimes it can take a while and your P-C appears to be doing nothing but it IS doing the intall.

If you get stuck continue to post in here. Maybe someone will step in while I'm gone. If not, I'll get the notice and eventually get back to you. Good luck and enjoy the stacks.

Heres what happened after following the instructions above.
    Deleted vendor.xml
    Erased Sofware (ok)
    Initialization (ok)
    Reconnecting to JVM (failed)

Unable to reconnect to device during multi-stage load operation

Any thoughts?

kenvan60 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23f4e3a6
    Ok, I'll take a stab at fixing your problem....You need to delete your vendor file and then download the OS again.

If you do a windows search for "vendor.xml"(on your computer), you should come up with the file. If not, you didn't install the OS correctly.

Also, if you're installing the OS for your own carrier, there is no need to kill the vendor.xml file. Only if you're installing a different carriers OS. (I gather that since it didn't find the upgrade, you're not installing your own carrier's OS.)

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    quick comment. ive got a 8100 from tmobile and the software version at latest is

Quote Originally Posted by kenvan60 View Post
    Ok, I'll take a stab at fixing your problem....You need to delete your vendor file and then download the OS again.

If you do a windows search for "vendor.xml"(on your computer), you should come up with the file. If not, you didn't install the OS correctly.

Also, if you're installing the OS for your own carrier, there is no need to kill the vendor.xml file. Only if you're installing a different carriers OS. (I gather that since it didn't find the upgrade, you're not installing your own carrier's OS.)
    At this point all I want is to get it up & running again.
    Had to delete vendor file as it wont install OS if one does not.

Enigma,

If you have an AT&T plan and you get your OS from AT&T, you shouldn't have to delete the vendor file. It won't hurt to do it anyway but you should ONLY have to delete it when you get the OS from a carrier OTHER than your own.

Hope you got it up and running - sounds like you did from previous post - back later.

ConstantineXVI no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    244EB7DA
    To be sure, I would try using JL_Cmder to wipe the BB clean. Then uninstall, and then reinstall your latest OS from your PC. Once you've done all that, pull up Desktop Manager and go to the Application Loader. Follow the prompts, and load on everything you think you need. If you find you're missing something after all this, go back to the AppLoader and put it back on. Once the loading's done, go to AT&T's BIS site and resend your service books. That should be it.

EDIT: failed to fully read the OP. Hope this helps, anyway.

Enigma,

I just read another thread that said users are having problems backing up their BB with desktop manager 4.5 - that and some other problems. I think that, before you wipe you BB (if you haven't already) I'd uninstall DM 4.5 and re-install DM 4.3 and try to download/install the AT&T OS again. I know I'd dumping my DM 4.5 - I haven't had the need to test out all of the functions and I'm not going to chance it.

LEt us know where you are in this process - haven't heard from you since yesterday.

UPDATE: BTW, here is the thread reporting DM 4.5 trouble.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 07-12-2008 at 03:22 PM.

Hey Guys,
    Sorry I work nights, so wont be on after a certain time.

Already tried JL Comander, I mentioned that in my opening post.
    I also tried JavaLoder, both had no joy.

I'm going to install DM 4.3 now & see if that has any affect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast