Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has anyone here ever used RSA SecurID Blackberry Software Token?... RIM Handheld OS forum

johnck78 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242C9CC5

Has anyone here ever used RSA SecurID Blackberry Software Token?

Advertisement

Has anyone here ever used RSA SecurID Blackberry Software Token?

mransome no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3012FA28

Re: Has anyone here ever used RSA SecurID Blackberry Software Token?

never heard of it. please explain

johnck78 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242C9CC5

I don't know if you have ever heard of RSA SecurID, so I'll give you the 35,000 foot view.

A SecurID Token is a 2 Factor Authentication. Instead of using a UserID and Password to logon to a location, you use a UserID and Passcode. The Passcode is a 4 Digit PIN # and a 6 digit token code. The 6 digit token code changes every 60 seconds. The token code resided on a SecurID FOB attached to your keys or whatever. This way it is more difficult for someone to login as you. They need your PIN and your FOB.

RSA makes a software version of this FOB that resides on the Blackberry, so the user does not have to carry a FOB.

We use RSA at my company to secure logins for such things as our VPN and WebMail. Many banks use it to secure thier websites. There has even been rumors that AOL will make it available to their users.

Their website is http://rsasecurity.com.

We are trying to deploy the BB soulution and having some issues. I didn't know if anyone here has ever tried it.

BBadBoy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    4010DD80

I haven't, but I'd love to be able to use it to replace the fob I have for my bank account. My keys are bulky enough without the fob attached, so I never carry it. Basically means I can't access the account online from anywhere but home.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

I would appreciate that too! I'm always misplacing (losing) my FOB!! But never my BlackBerry.

Ook
    Ook no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Re: Has anyone here ever used RSA SecurID Blackberry Software Token?

Hi,

I've tried getting it to work a while ago, and I even installed the software etc, but I wonder, where do you get the key to start using it as a token? I mean, we (IT dept) normally buy hardware tokens (the FOBs) but do I then look for 'serials only' when I want to buy them? Or can I deduct the serial from the token database? (but in that case, I'd still have to put that $70 token in a drawer where I'd rather hand it to some poor non-blackberry user )

evilcaptain no está en línea Stack level 3

I currently use the FOB version. I did look briefly in the past about RSA's palm and windows softkeys but never went forward. I would think it is the same. There is a software component to install on you BB and it will behave similar to the FOB. So all you would need is to buy licenses for the bb and install the software component.

Biff no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    20444B2B

Biff no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    20444B2B

We've been using the Blackberry RSA application for some time, our users love it - ditching the keycard is one less thing to carry when they travel. The wireless deployment is pretty neat too.

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

Been using it for several months now.

We're deploying it to our users right now. Wireless deployment hasn't been working too well with it, so we've been doing it with the App Loader. We've got a custom app we're also updating as well, plus we're updating the firmware on all the devices to bring everyone up to the same version for each model. Makes our support a bit easier. Over the years as we added more and more devices, we'd wound up with 3 or ver firmware revs per model almost.

As for the RSA, it works well enough, but we've found it slips into next passcode mode far too often. Still it is nice being able to have it on the BB.

From the support side of things, I like it because you can have multiple tokens on a device so long as you rename them, so I can test the tokens of users claiming the thing doesn't work.

The biggest issue so far though has been getting the users to use them properly, instead of like the credit card tokens they'd been using.

The whole deal is sort of my fault, actually. I brought it up to management because I wanted to replace the Palm version that 2 out of over 1000 users had, which was the worst PITA to get working properly. Now it's a project,and I've got about 400 more devices to do. But I'd rather do that than EVER setup the Palm OS version again, unless RSA re-writes it to be as straightforward as the BB version.

Ook

Thanks! Just one thing, and it's probably me, but I still don't see what I should be shopping for when visiting RSA.. Can anyone explain? Thx!

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

On their website, it's under Products: RSA SecurID Authentication.

Click on Products, Product Family, Software Authenticators. Download the whitepaper for it, it gives you a rundown of what's needed to make it work.

Your IT dept may need to upgrade their token manager, or just add the ability to issue softokens (which they need to buy from RSA just like the physical tokens). Once that's setup, the IT dept issues you a soft token, which can be pushed to your BB through the BES (we still can't get that part to work right), or just sent to your BB as an email attachment. Once you've opened the RSA app on your device once, you open the email and import the attachment, which installs the token. Then you can use it in the same way you'd use a physical token if that's how your IT dept has it setup.

Ook

Superb, thanks for that in-depth explanation! I'll dig into it shortly and give the guys at work a poke to get this going

Cheers!

rrdharan no está en línea Stack level 1

I've got a BlackBerry Pearl, and I was attempting to use the RSA SecurID software but I can't get it to work.

I was e-mailed a token in the form of a .stdid file, but when I attempt to import it (using the context menu option) the mail app crashes with an out of bounds exception.

nvisi0n no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30B4DB5C

Quote Originally Posted by johnck78
    There has even been rumors that AOL will make it available to their users.
    This has been an option for some time now. I had it like 2 years ago. It was called AOL PassCode and it was a blue keyfob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast