Hi guys. First of all, i'd like to say a big hello to everyone out ... RIM Handheld OS forum

mpshah no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Anybody got a clue???

Advertisement

Hi guys. First of all, i'd like to say a big hello to everyone out here. I am a new BB user and new to the site as well. I have been reading a lot about upgrading the software for the phone. Well I have just bought a 8320 Curve that has OS 4.2.2.180. Please read the following and help me out:

1. The phone is T-Mobile (unlocked version)
    2. Using it in Dubai with the carrier ETISALAT
    3. Will the phone get locked if I were to install a newer version of the OS, either the 4.2.2.184 or the 4.3 ?
    4. Does the version of the OS has to be from T-Mobile or Etisalat?

I will appreciate all the help.

Many thanks.

Cheers!!!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    No to #3 and No to #4. You can download any software from any supplier as long as it's for that device. Be sure to delete the vendor file before you install to the device.

Check here for the latest released software. The “vendor.xml” file is found at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

jblackfish: thanks for your reply. r u sure about the questions no3 and no 4??? coz i dont want to brick my phone. thanks

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpshah View Post
    jblackfish: thanks for your reply. r u sure about the questions no3 and no 4??? coz i dont want to brick my phone. thanks
    100% Sure

I have read on these forums that first step is to uninstall the software from the pc. But I do not have any kind of blackberry software installed beside the Desktop Manager. Can anyone tell me where to look for? thanks.

thanks guys. i have succesfully installed the 4.2.2.184 on the curve.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by mpshah View Post
    I have read on these forums that first step is to uninstall the software from the pc. But I do not have any kind of blackberry software installed beside the Desktop Manager. Can anyone tell me where to look for? thanks.
    mpshah,

Yes I am sure. I'm using T-Mobile and I get my software from the same list I posted previously. Your phone being locked or unlocked has nothing to do with the software you use. (An unlocked phone can use a SIM card from any GSM carrier - a locked phone can only use a SIM from the carrier to which it is locked.)

The Desktop Manager is what you use to install the software to your handset - you shouldn't need any other software.

Look here for instructions for installing the OS to your handset. Remember that the OS that you install MUST be for your specific device only - who supplies the software doesn't matter. (I posted a link previously where you can download the OS by handset.)
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

thanks again.