Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting this because we all know that lately some 4.3 and 4.5 BETA OS's have ... RIM Handheld OS forum

n8dbb2 no está en línea Stack Addict

ALERT: 4.3/4.5 OS Media Card Support Bug

Advertisement

Posting this because we all know that lately some 4.3 and 4.5 BETA OS's have been popping up.

WARNING: Several instances have been reported that after upgrading to one of these BETA systems, ALL media card support is gone, meaning the card can NOT be accessed for opening files or saving files. This does not affect every device, however, it is happening to several.

The device simply acts as if there is no media card inserted.

Downgrading to an official release operating system DOES NOT FIX THIS BUG!

KNOWN Affected devices: 8300, 8310, 8320.

Everyone wants this operating system, and will download a beta if they can find it, however, remember if you do this, this is AT YOUR OWN RISK. Wait until its officially released.

blakhaddad no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32CD5BCD
    Where Do I Find The Beta???

XLiMBS no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    20F3D846
    That's horrible, I'm glad that didn't happen to my 8100 when I tried out the beta.

Aside from the frequent crashes and the lack of a working camera, the beta also failed to scan my media card for music to add to my media library which was really frustrating so I went back to the latest official release.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by blakhaddad View Post
    Where Do I Find The Beta???
    You don't. It finds you.

Did you read the OP?

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Thanks for the info. Just one more reason to stick with the official releases.

lesawag no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    After all known( and unknown) problems with the beta I'm surprised people are still wanting it. Patience people.
    Lesa

James80 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31955D4A
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Good things comes to those who WAIT. I don't need a brick, I got plenty on my apartment!

jikdoc no está en línea Stack level 2
    beta 4.3 worked fine with my 8320's 4gb and 8gb sdhc. formatted my 8gb micro in windows and popped it into the phone, and all 8gb (well 7.6 formatted gb) showed up

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    you guys are funny lol, do you know what a beta is for lol. to find all the bugs and fix them. The offical will have support for media cards I can promise that. So to everyone who is nervous about the new OS dont be, There a big company and you can expect a pretty close to perfect product

Jeff,
    That's the point of this post. There are BETA versions going around out there, and 90% of the people who find it are going to download it, then when they experience these issues, they will be posting here all panicked because it doesn't work and they will be all po'd.

So the point of this post is: if you come across an OS in BETA and jacks up your device, then that's the risk you took by loading it and have noone to blame but yourself.

Regardless though, people who come across it are still going to download it and ignore all warnings. Cest la vie, eh?

xOrphenochx no está en línea Stack level 1
    It took me awhile to get mine back up and running after installing 4.5. I highly suggest that all non-experienced and easily panicked people do not attempt this.

On to why I'm posting here. With my 8800, media card support is there, but it seems to cause the device to reboot before checking the security, taking it out or disabling it stops that. And when I put it in after booting, it freezes when displaying images, and there is sometimes an error saying the card has errors, which I highly doubt as this hasn't happened yet and I regularly use it.

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D
    So there will be a further release that is actually dubbed 4.5? I have a Verizon Pearl and its 4.3 but I'm reading they are the same thing?~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

boiseguy83 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2405956B
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I am not sure if what I downloaded was a beta or an early release but I love it it seems to work much better than I expected. I loaded it on a backup 8800 so if it craps on me I am not screwed.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    A lot of the issues happen because people just see "4.3" and download it, thinking it will work.

The original "beta" of 4.3 for the 8100s back in the fall was not a beta at all, but a bundle for the 8310 4.3 OS. Anyone loading it onto their 8100c hoping to get 4.3 got all kinds of heartache for their trouble.

To the OP, your warning is well placed. However, do you have a specific OS/device model number to reference? I'm not having any issues with the OS I just loaded on my 8310. So far it is flawless and wonderful.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffallen8 View Post
    you guys are funny lol, do you know what a beta is for lol. to find all the bugs and fix them. The offical will have support for media cards I can promise that. So to everyone who is nervous about the new OS dont be, There a big company and you can expect a pretty close to perfect product
    Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
    A lot of the issues happen because people just see "4.3" and download it, thinking it will work.

The original "beta" of 4.3 for the 8100s back in the fall was not a beta at all, but a bundle for the 8310 4.3 OS. Anyone loading it onto their 8100c hoping to get 4.3 got all kinds of heartache for their trouble.

To the OP, your warning is well placed. However, do you have a specific OS/device model number to reference? I'm not having any issues with the OS I just loaded on my 8310. So far it is flawless and wonderful.
    Ditto on both. One thing RIM did find out (with the official BETA's not the cooked versions) is that the fileset for the media card on 4.2.1 does not cross over to the fileset on 4.3/4.5. It is especially prevalent on 1 gig cards. Causes the phone to reboot any time the card is in there and will not recognize the card through mass storage. (have to format the card from a card reader on the PC) This bridge should be gapped when the official release comes out but without the BETA version they might not have known of the conflict.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast