I finally got OS 4.5 working on my 8800, but was very disappointed to discover ... RIM Handheld OS forum

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

How To: Add Folder Icons and Contact Icons to OS 4.5

Advertisement

I finally got OS 4.5 working on my 8800, but was very disappointed to discover that it didn't have the Folder and Contact (cartoon) icons my older OS had!

I did a a bit of searching around the forums, and did find the answer, but it was a bit hard to find, so here it is - a how to add folder icons and contact icons to OS 4.5.

Prerequisites:
    • A copy of JavaLoader.exe. The easiest place to get it is from JL_Cmder. This guide will assume you've downloaded and installed it, and that JavaLoader.exe resides in the directory "C:\Program Files\JL_Cmder".
    • Knowledge of how to work from a Command prompt.
    • You must have OS 4.5 already installed on your BlackBerry.

The following are used in these instructions:
    • BlackBerry 8800 OS v4.2.1.79, Platform 2.3.0.74 from AT&T was used to get the Icon Resource file. Typically these numbers are reflected in the installation directory. You should find your files under the Model, OS Version, and Platform version you download and install - substitute your numbers as needed.
      The directory the OS above was installed to under XP is "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8800-v4.2.1.79_P2.3.0.74"
    • The resolution of the 8800 is 320x240. This is the same for all BlackBerries in the 88xx, 87xx, and 83xx series.
      The resolution for both the resolution for the 8100 series is 240x260.
      The instructions will use 320x240, but if you're doing this on any 8100 series device, change 320x240 to 240x260 in the instructions below.

What to do:
    1. See if you have them already! - On your BlackBerry, go into the Media application, then Click the [Menu] button or Scroll Wheel and select Explore from the pop up menu. Navigate to Device Memory --> samples --> contacts and folder icons. If you already have icons in either or both of these folders, STOP! You do NOT need to continue!
    2. Find an older version of your model's OS - Download and install an older version OS for your device onto your computer. It must be a version 4.3 or 4.2 OS. Once you have done this, do NOT run Desktop Manager until you are finished!
    3. Find the Icon resource directory.Once you've installed the older OS, open a Command Prompt window, and navigate to its installation directory. For my setup, it is "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8800-v4.2.1.79_P2.3.0.74\Java" - the folder name Underlined here will vary depending on the OS and model you're using.
    4. Open a Command Prompt window, and from the prompt, type the following command including quotes (substitute your directory name for the one underlined here:
      cd /d "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8800-v4.2.1.79_P2.3.0.74\Java"
      Your command prompt should now reflect that you've changed directory.
    5. Find the Icon resource file.From the "C:\>" prompt, type the following command:
      dir net_rim_bb_media_???x*
      This command should report one file. In my case, the name of the file is net_rim_bb_media_320x240_b.cod. Yours will be very similar - again, if you're doing this on an 8100 device, you'll have 240x260 instead of 320x240.
    6. Now, with your BlackBerry connected to the computer, type the following command - including quotes - in your Command Prompt window:
      "C:\Program Files\JL_Cmder\JavaLoader.exe" -u load net_rim_bb_media_320x240_b.cod
      Javaloader will connect. If your device has a password, you will be asked to enter it. Once connected, the file will be loaded onto your BlackBerry.
    7. Your BlackBerry will probably hourglass for a bit, and then come back. Now, you'll have the old folder icons and cartoon contact pictures the old OS had!
    8. Don't forget to uninstall that old OS now!
    JerryD

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Nice write-up, I have a question before I try this. Will the DM try to remove the unrecognized .cod each time I use the DM application loader like it does if I use JL_Cmder to load vendor themes to my BB?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Nice write-up, I have a question before I try this. Will the DM try to remove the unrecognized .cod each time I use the DM application loader like it does if I use JL_Cmder to load vendor themes to my BB?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    GOOD QUESTION!
    I haven't tried it yet, but I suspect it will.

Work arounds:
    1. Uninstall the OS
    2. Modify BlackBerry.alx and add a line with the .COD file name you use above

Of course, you'll also have to put the .COD file in the Java subdirectory for your 4.5 OS. The file BlackBerry.alx should be in the OS Directory ("C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8800-v4.5.0.55_P2.7.0.68" in my case), and the COD file would go in the Java directory under that.
    MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF BLACKBERRY.ALX BEFORE YOU DO THIS!
    To modify BlackBerry.alx, open it in Notepad and find a theme that is not vendor dependent (does not have "_vendorID=" in the "<fileset " line), and add a line with the file name. For example:
    Before:
    Code:
                    <fileset Theme="Normal" Colour="True" series="8800|8300" Java="1.0">
                            <files>
                                    net_rim_theme_bbdimension_icon_320x240_b.cod
                            </files>
                    </fileset>
    After:
    Code:
                    <fileset Theme="Normal" Colour="True" series="8800|8300" Java="1.0">
                            <files>
                                    net_rim_theme_bbdimension_icon_320x240_b.cod
                                    net_rim_bb_media_320x240_b.cod
                            </files>
                    </fileset>
    This should make it part of the OS Installation and prevent it from being removed when the Application Loader is run.
    JerryD