Hey guys! I have been reading up on the OS system upgrade on the Curve ... RIM Handheld OS forum

trueblue02l no está en línea Stack level 2

About to Upgrade

Advertisement

Hey guys! I have been reading up on the OS system upgrade on the Curve (using this link on the site as my main reference when I do the install http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=76342 )making sure I have all my bases covered and just wanted to ask a few questions to make sure I have everything exactly right so I dont nuke my berry and I get this right on the first try.

1. I created a backup file using the desktop manager. Just did the simple create backup file and saved it. Do I need to do the advanced options, had a few people I needed to to save my 3rd party apps? Also I have the 4.3 version os the desktop manager and the link said to get the most up to date so is it v4.5 from the blackberry site that I need?

2. I have also been confused on which version to astually use in the upgrade. Have seen you gys talking about multiple variations of the 4.5 OS and even seen reviews on 8300 users installing 4.6.0.92 Which version should I use?

3. And Finally can someone explain the deal with having to resend the service books (and how). Is that something that I need to download?
    Last edited by trueblue02l; 08-07-2008 at 01:25 AM.

rmerck no está en línea Device Pro
    1. Backing up your third party apps can be just having them accessible to install from your Desktop Manager again, save OTA links etc. to find them. You don't want to do the upgrade, end up wiping your phone through some freak accident and then try to remember what software you downloaded/paid for etc.

2. Since you are upgrading to 4.5 (assuming you have downloaded a 4.5 OS), use the 4.5 DM from BlackBerry's website.

3. As far as service books go, you can send them from your BlackBerry Internet Service page. If you don't know it, go to google, and search "provider blackberry internet service", where provider is of course, your phone carrier. The login will be what u either set up for your e-mail when you got it, or your account credentials to access your provider's account management console. Once you do log in, just click "Service Books" on the left and side. On the next page, just click send service books and you're good to go!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."
    Jesus, Luke 22:36

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
    Gen. John Pershing, U.S. Army

Alright. Well im going to give it a shot this afternoon. I am about to download OS 4.5.0.62 right now. My question is what version should I get? Multilanguage?

rmerck no está en línea Device Pro
    Unless you are going to be using it in a language other than Engrish (chinese joke!!! lol), stick with English. But, if you use the multilanguage, you can always remove what you don't need with the Desktop Manager.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."
    Jesus, Luke 22:36

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
    Gen. John Pershing, U.S. Army

Alright I saw the East Asia, Chinese, and Multilanguage and didnt see a English only option.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by trueblue02l View Post
    Hey guys! I have been reading up on the OS system upgrade on the Curve (using this link on the site as my main reference when I do the install http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=76342 )making sure I have all my bases covered and just wanted to ask a few questions to make sure I have everything exactly right so I dont nuke my berry and I get this right on the first try.

1. I created a backup file using the desktop manager. Just did the simple create backup file and saved it. Do I need to do the advanced options, had a few people I needed to to save my 3rd party apps? Also I have the 4.3 version os the desktop manager and the link said to get the most up to date so is it v4.5 from the blackberry site that I need?

2. I have also been confused on which version to astually use in the upgrade. Have seen you gys talking about multiple variations of the 4.5 OS and even seen reviews on 8300 users installing 4.6.0.92 Which version should I use?

3. And Finally can someone explain the deal with having to resend the service books (and how). Is that something that I need to download?
    1. Use Ryan's advice (that is your name, isn't it?) with regard to the 3rd party apps. I don't use any 3rd party apps so therefore cannot be of any assistance in that regard. I would, however tend to disagree with which DM version to use. I personally haven't had any issues with 4.5, but many people have and since this is your first time upgrading, I'd stick with the 4.3 you already have.

2. The most current official release for your device is 4.5.0.55 (you have a Curve 8310, correct?) which you can get here:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=80830

There is a beta release of 4.5.0.69. This is what I'm currently using and it has been very stable, but then again .55 was stable for me as well, but again, I don't use 3rd party apps.

3. Service books determine what services are available on your device. If something isn't working correctly, resending them is a way of correcting a lot of those issues.

Hope this helps!

Roger
    Last edited by doughdaddy; 08-07-2008 at 09:20 PM.

Alright I saw the East Asia, Chinese, and Multilanguage and didnt see a English only option.
    Most versions also include English.

I just downloaded the OS 4.5.0.52 and the 4.5 desktop manager. Installed everything and deleted the vendor file as was directed and started up the desktop manager and am not getting any type of prompts to start the upgrade of anything? Whats the deal?

Your device is connected to the PC?

Yea. Installed the new OS and deleted the Vendor.xml file off my C Drive then plugged up my Curve and started the Destop Manager. And its just sitting there like normal...its not prompting me to upgrade the OS system or anything. Went into the app loader and dont see a new file or anything in there either.

I have to run and won't be able to get back on line for a couple hours, but try one thing just for giggles.

Uninstall DM 4.5, download and install DM 4.3, reboot and try again. Make sure the vendor.xml is deleted for sure.

Alright well im re downloading the desktop manager again and seeing it it promtps me to install the new OS.

Alright I installed 4.3 desktop manager again and im still not getting any type of prompt to install the new OS. HELP me out guys.

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro
    Alright I installed 4.3 desktop manager again and im still not getting any type of prompt to install the new OS. HELP me out guys.
    Did you uninstall any older versions of the OS that you may have had installed on the PC? If you do not uninstall the older OS from the PC it will not prompt.

Quote Originally Posted by doughdaddy View Post
    Did you uninstall any older versions of the OS that you may have had installed on the PC? If you do not uninstall the older OS from the PC it will not prompt.
    I thought we covered that, but good point.

Go into Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs. Look for anything by the name of BlackBerry Device Software.