Dear 8707v users out there, as you may have notet the OS 4.2.1 is out ... RIM Handheld OS forum

ufritz no está en línea Stack level 1

8707v OS 4.2.1 firmware

Advertisement

Dear 8707v users out there,

as you may have notet the OS 4.2.1 is out in UK and Australia from Vodafone

I'd like to know, whether performing an OS upgrade (via DM and vendor.xml removal etc) can cause any problem with the use of your phone/the 'foreign' network provider's OS as long as the firmware has been released from BB for that particular phone type?

I'm particularly thinking about using eg the UK version in the German network for my 8707v, but

a) I'm on a BES and don't know, whether that will affect my (re-)activation procedure (service books, phone settings, ITpolicy etc)

b) If there are different network frequencies used by Voda across Europe and/or if that matters at all (data service, UMTS)

Any input appreciated

mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: 8707v OS 4.2.1 firmware

Welcome to PInstack ufritz!

as far as installing a different phone carriers OS on to your phone, to my knowledge it should NOT affect your phone and how it operates. I myself have installed several other phone carriers OS on my pearl and all is well. however, you do use install them solely at your own risk bc it may effect the support you receive from your cell carrier. just keep a copy of your current OS available just in case you don't like the new one or for some reason need to downgrade.

a) I don't use BES so i'll leave that for someone else to answer

b) answered in that long paragraph above

hope this helps!! let us know please

ufritz no está en línea Stack level 1

I've gone ahead and installed the Australian OS 4.2.1 (151) on my 8707v. Phone was registered normally with my provider, GPRS appeared in bold, browser present.

BES activation went smoothly.

However, I think my admin has reset my ITpolicy. It is now default I've tried upgrades before, ITpolicy did never change for me after the upgrade.

Does restore via DM bring back my old ITpolicy? If yes, I know, what not to do.

Have fun and thanks

ss1199 no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi. I'm from Malaysia and recently got a BB 8707V. The firmware is only 3.8. How and where can i upgrade the firmware???