Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

As of right now, let me throw something out here until we can understand this ... RIM Handheld OS forum

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Re: 8707 OS version Rel .481 /Apps .355: new 4.1 to play with until 4.2 releases

Advertisement

As of right now, let me throw something out here until we can understand this better...

What operating systems are people running this on?

Here is the reason I ask....

Upon opening the alx files and finding TMobile, TMobile and Rogers have no fileset for a QWERTY keyboard, only a reduced keyboard. However, every other operating system I have ever looked at and all the other vendors listed have both QWERTY AND Reduced filesets.

I know that Shawn had issues with his device also, and it is TMobile and John obviously has TMobile...

How about the rest of you? (Please, only those of you who have actually installed the above OS onto your device).

Have you had success, and what vendor is your BB through?

graphreak no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: 8707 OS version Rel .481 /Apps .355: new 4.1 to play with until 4.2 releases

I do have a TMO 8700g.
    (I've had it unclocked within a couple weeks of buying it.)

Been through installing this OS (successfully) and as I'm a self-claimed
    OS addict have the relevant 8703e components working on mine right now.
    (as in my sig.)
    No errors when I was installing the 8707 .481/.355 on mine.
    I can make the .alx file available if anyone's interested (to be used at your own risk).
    ~Graph
    8700g>DASH><8320><P1i><E71-2><G1>

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Well another thing...

For those who have had errors, which ALX files are you merging into the other one?

Example, are you merging the 8707 OS that doesn't have the qwerty fileset into a different operating system? Or are you merging that different operating system into the 8707?

There is a chance that if you are merging the OS with the missing TMOBILE filesets into one that DOES currently have a full qwerty fileset, that its overriding the filesets that are currently in that operating system with the one from the OS you are merging in that only has the reduced fileset.

Am I making any sense to anyone here or am I just typing to give my fingers a workout?

I understand N8DBBs queries are for those who have had errors,
    I am responding even though I have not had them.
    In the interest that perhaps I may be able to throw up some ideas on differences
    in OS installation procedures.
    Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    As of right now, let me throw something out here until we can understand this better...
    Here is the reason I ask....
    Upon opening the alx files and finding TMobile, TMobile and Rogers have no fileset for a QWERTY keyboard, only a reduced keyboard. However, every other operating system I have ever looked at and all the other vendors listed have both QWERTY AND Reduced filesets.
    Actually, If I may bring the point up,
    the .alx file for this OS has no 8700 theme at all for T-Mobile.
    Neither does it mention any handset series at all in the only instance of
    the TMO fileset listed, details as given below-
    <!-- T-Mobile filesets -->

<fileset Colour="True" KeyboardType="Reduced" ThemeSupport="~Enhanced" Java="1.0" _vendorID="100">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_100_240x260.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>

-----------------------------------------------
    Also, RE:
    Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    Well another thing...
    For those who have had errors, which ALX files are you merging into the other one?
    Example, are you merging the 8707 OS that doesn't have the qwerty fileset into a different operating system? Or are you merging that different operating system into the 8707?
    this is what I usually always do for new OS installs-
    I never actually merge the .alx files of two OSs when I upgrade to a new one.
    I 'de-vendorize' the original .alx of the new OS and then install it.
    ~Graph

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

That's exactly my point.

The filesets for TMO & Rogers pertain to one theme only.
    There is no other application mentioned.

Each time I upgrade the OS, I assume that just the modification
    of the .alx file to de-vendorize it would allow me to
    use every application -common to the 8700s- on my 8700g.
    I have never actually wanted to get the TMO specific Themes
    or applications
    back on mine.

I also de-vendorize the .alx file to remove every instance
    of a vendor id showing up. Not just in the themes area.

I'm curious- in what way would merging the .alx files be of advantage,
    as against using only the modified .alx from the new OS to upgrade?
    ~Graph

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Really the best way I can respond to that is personal preference, and lessen the chance of something screwing up or not being compatable.

Is it likely? No. Is it possible? Of course.

I am reloading the OS onto on the device here in a minute.

When I started loading the one I am doing now, I thought people were referring to the 8700 OS and not the 8707 OS.

I am going to reload the 8707 OS when this one finishes to see if I can emulate the problem that was mentioned above, or to see if it was just a freak occurance that the Berry somehow rejected it and just crapped out.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Ok...Just wanted to chime in here.

I didn't necessarily want to, however I did upgrade the OS on my device with the one listed above.

I merged the above listed device onto an existing 8700 OS, and then installed it on my 8700.

I have no errors that have popped up.

The install went fine.

At times, devices simply crap out or they reject an operating system that is loaded into them.

That is why we must always remember that we are taking a risk when loading a different vendors operating system onto our devices when it is "not authorized" or whatever terminology you want to use.

Crap happens sometimes. In the above instance, there is really no way to tell without physically getting hands on the device and seeing whether it was a hardware problem or if something was rejected by the device in the OS

Just wanted to chime in as a 3rd outside party that loaded the OS onto the device to clear the air.

As always, this forum is here to try and help in the event that things go wrong as I am sure you all know.

Hope this helps everyone...

N8

Thanks for the reassuring news N8.
    ~Graph

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

One thing I noticed is that I have to hold a button down about a 1/2 second longer to get it to capitalize...BOO!

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Another thing I did notice...

A few of the icons for 3rd party software obtained from getjar.com seem to have changed to a more "icon looking" icon rather than some generic icon. Thats good.

jeffery no está en línea Stack level 2

well, I managed to upgrade the OS by just deleting the vendor.xml file and so far had not hit any problem..other than not able to run pin stake and getting the http error 400.

ssy
    ssy no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23DA73CD

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~will this work on cingular 8700c

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by ssy
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~will this work on cingular 8700c
    Yes. However, you may have to do a few extra steps...See above.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

Copy and paste that above line in ur "My Computer" window and delete the vendor.xml there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12