I've looked hi and low for an answer to this problem- lets see if someone ... RIM Handheld OS forum

jacatro no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23D00577

7100g Help, Please! Killed it!

Advertisement

I've looked hi and low for an answer to this problem- lets see if someone here is up to the challenge.
    First of all, I bought a Blackberry 7100g from a seller on EBay without knowing too much about the different devices. My fault there, I could have saved myself some time and $$ if I had researched- so kids, let that be a lesson to ya!
    The 7100 was nice enough, tho I didn't like the keyboard- anyway- I attempted to sync it to my PC, upon which an error message arose, warning me of an outdated OS-I said, OK- no big deal- being somewhat technologically proficient, figured it was a normal hardware flash. I dled Cingular's recommended software for the device, followed the directions, and ended up with backed up files on my PC, and no OS on the device.
    Again- no panic-I figured OK, thats why we backup files-attempted to restore- no go-
    I said OK, lets go back to where we started-I had been attempting to load OS 4.1, I reverted to 4.0- again no good- the backup files remain grayed out, and the device starts the erase and reinstall process, then powers off in the middle.
    I have tried taking the battery out, doing a hard restore, installing with the battery in, out, fully charged- I don't know what else to try- I have nothing on the Blackberry now but a flashing red light-
    BTW- I went out and paid a lot for an 8700, which I absolutely love.
    It annoys me that Im out the hundred something bucks tho, and that I can't reinstall the OS-

Any idea?

TIA-
    Witty sig coming soon!
    pin: 23D00577

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: 7100g Help, Please! Killed it!

jacatro, You keep saying that the Backup files are greyed out. You need to use the Apps Loader feature of Desktop Manager to load the OS.

Hope this helps

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

diaz1023 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~as mentioned above, use the app loader on the dm, start with that and then connect the blackberry. From there you should be able to install or update the os.

ajmctaggart no está en línea Stack level 3

jacatro- I have had a similar problem before...In the middle of installing some software, my whole BB crashed and from what I could tell had NO OS on it at all. What I did, was load the most basic part of the BB OS from the old back up and restore feature. Dont try the Address book, or any prefs, but just go for the Service books or an integral part of the OS. I have noticed if you select too many files in the Advanced restore feature, that will also make the restore process hang...Hope this helps

PIN/ID
    23D00577

No- Neither of these work-
    Im sorry- I should have specified- when the install failed, I tried to do a RESTORE- I can go to File>open, then load the backup files, but they are greyed out in the space where I would move them over to the device-It is erasing apps, then starts reinstalling software, then it dies in the middle of the software install- thanks for anything I can try-
    Witty sig coming soon!

PIN/ID
    23D00577

I guess my next question is: Is there anyplace I can send it to be repaired?
    Witty sig coming soon!

PIN/ID
    23D00577

Solution:
    Boy do I feel dumb,
    WebRoot spy sweeper sees loader.exe as a possible threat and closes it-
    Only found out when I decided to try it on my laptop-
    Witty sig coming soon!