Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021 LastLast

Originally Posted by Collie Hi, I have a 8310Curve, and I'm still running 4.2.2.184 - ... RIM Handheld OS forum

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Collie View Post
    Hi,

I have a 8310Curve, and I'm still running 4.2.2.184 - everything works really good for me and I thought to myself "don't fix it if it ain't broken" - that's why I never upgraded. OK, that and I'm also afraid that I'm gonna f*ck something up

I use my curve as a phone and email client (BIS), rarely as a camera and to watch some video. Actually, the only thing I'd like to be able to do is to save all kinds of e-mail attachments to media card. Will upgrade to the latest software enable me to do that?

If yes, I would be extremely thankfull if someone could post a link for a step-by-step howto post for dummies (i'm sure there's one).
    You don't need to upgrade in order to use a media card, Collie, unless you also want video recording capabilities which is one of the new features of the 4.5 OS. Your current OS will support a card of up to 4gb.

domesticated no está en línea Stack level 2
    I'm not quite sure what the reason is behind these upgrades? Can anyone give me a brief explanation as to what it does/why I should upgrade?

• BlackBerry Maps with Points of Interest (H)
    • Improved media player with playlist support and automatic playlist generation (H)
    • Voice note recording (H)
    • Video recording on Curve models (H)
    • Streaming support for YouTube and Sling Player (H)
    • Microsoft Office document editing with DocumentsToGo (H)
    • Native format attachment downloading (S)
    • HTML e-mails (S)
    • Over-the-air device upgrades (S)
    • Free/busy calendar lookup (S)
    • Searching the server for old e-mail messages (S)

H=Handheld
    S=Server

Collie no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    You don't need to upgrade in order to use a media card, Collie
    Thanks, but I'm afraid you misunderstood me. I know that I can use media card for saving .jpg attachments, but sometimes I receive e-mails with attachments that I cannot open (mostly .zip or some job-specific formats). Since I don't have a dataplan and I don't always have Internet connection available, it would come in handy if I could somehow transfer those attachments I receive from my BB to my laptop, where I can work on them. It works the other way around - I copy files from laptop to media card, attach them to e-mail and send.

Hello,

can someone please update me on this issue? In case that someone didn't understand my question, I need to save all e-mail attachments to memory card, regardless of the extension. Will upgrade to new OS enable me to do so?

Collie!! So sorry I haven't gotten back to you on this! Yes, I had misunderstood your question! Thanks for the clarification.

I have a questions for you, though:

I use my curve as a phone and email client (BIS)
    Since I don't have a dataplan
    You need to have a data plan in order to use the internet and receive e-mails to your device, so I guess I'm confused!

Upgrading to v4.5 brings the Docs2Go application to your device, but I'm not familiar enough with it to know whether or not it will enable you to do what you are asking. I don't think Docs2Go will be of any help in that regard.

Again, sorry for the late reply!

Roger

RoGro, no problem

To explain, my contract includes unlimited free e-mail traffic, including all the attachments.

On the other hand, Internet access (i.e. browsing) is very expensive for me, otherwise I'd use that option to download the files I need to my laptop (through gmail redirecting or something, numerous options spring to mind). That's why I wrote I don't have a data plan - data transfer other than e-mail is insanely expensive over here.

Docs2Go doesn't look like solution for me, since that'll probably enable me to save office type documents around, which is not what I need - I wan't to save the attached .zip archives to media card.

To be honest, the situations I need attachment saving are pretty rare (when I'm off for vacation or something), so I can live without it, but I find it really annoying that attachment saving option is not integrated in the system.

edit: what is "Native format attachment downloading"? And what does "(S)" mean?
    Last edited by Collie; 08-07-2008 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Collie View Post
    RoGro, no problem

To explain, my contract includes unlimited free e-mail traffic, including all the attachments.

On the other hand, Internet access (i.e. browsing) is very expensive for me, otherwise I'd use that option to download the files I need to my laptop (through gmail redirecting or something, numerous options spring to mind). That's why I wrote I don't have a data plan - data transfer other than e-mail is insanely expensive over here.

Docs2Go doesn't look like solution for me, since that'll probably enable me to save office type documents around, which is not what I need - I wan't to save the attached .zip archives to media card.

To be honest, the situations I need attachment saving are pretty rare (when I'm off for vacation or something), so I can live without it, but I find it really annoying that attachment saving option is not integrated in the system.

edit: what is "Native format attachment downloading"? And what does "(S)" mean?
    Here's the answer to your first question:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/searc...200%2080857046

H is a handheld feature, S is a server feature.

I should've looked at your profile earlier, Collie. Didn't realize you're in Croatia!

Here's the answer to your first question:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/searc...200%2080857046

H is a handheld feature, S is a server feature.
    Ah, so it's only for BES users. Damn It looks just like the answer to my problems.

I should've looked at your profile earlier, Collie. Didn't realize you're in Croatia!
    Yup

bigtrell no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ASK ME!!
    i have the 4.5 icon on my desktop, i also have the 4.5 desktop software. i have a tmo bb 8320, i cant figure out how to get the os 4.5 on my phone. what am i doing wrong?????

Hey bigtrell,

Welcome to PinStack!

When you say you have the 4.5 icon on your desktop, what exactly does that mean? Did you download and install the 4.5 OS onto your computer?

On your PC, go to the Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs. Look for BlackBerry Device Software 4.x. If you see a 4.5 there, then it is indeed installed on your PC. Then all you should need to do from this point is to navigate to the following folder on your PC and delete a file named "vendor.xml". Otherwise, you'll need to download and install the 4.5 version to which you wish to upgrade, then delete the vendor.xml file.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader

Once you've done that, connect your device to the PC, launch Desktop Manager and it should notify you that you can upgrade your PC to the 4.5 OS. Make sure you do a backup (should prompt you to and automatically do that, but otherwise, navigate to that in the DM and make sure that setting is selected) before the upgrade as the process will wipe everything from your device before installing the new OS and restoring your data from the back up.

Good luck and post back if you need assistance! Here is link with detailed installation instructions:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...read.php?t=929

Roger

jsaradhi no está en línea Stack level 3
    i haven't been keeping up with OS versions lately...i see a slew of versions for 8310s and 20s...but what is the latest official and beta version available for 8300? i have 4.5.0.52 rel 75. is that still the latest?
    Last edited by jsaradhi; 08-11-2008 at 12:10 PM.

bayzbol44 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    I had an issue with Youtube yesterday. I hear there is a way to fix this by doing something with APN. Any idea what this I need to do?

RoGro, Sling Player is not available, yet, is it?

bayzbol44 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Disregard my Youtube question. I was able to fiill out my APN info for T-Mobile. I previously had done this, but I guessed it got erased when I upgraded.

Any other T-Mo users out there...Did you have to enter an username and password under APN?