Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

finally a beta 4.5 thread here at pinstack! had to look elsewhere to troubleshoot my ... RIM Handheld OS forum

jikdoc no está en línea Stack level 2

Advertisement

finally a beta 4.5 thread here at pinstack! had to look elsewhere to troubleshoot my 4.5 problems. anyway, i've had it for a week now love it. here's some tips for those who want to try it out. don't even bother asking me how to get it, google is your friend.

i'm using a 8320 on t-mobile.

pros:
    1. 8gb sdhc card works perfectly fine, painless setup, formatted on computer and popped it in, recognized the whole thing on the first shot.

2. new email, calendar, address book look a lot slicker, without being cluttered. nice options improving visibility, such as alternating stripes in between message lists and appointments. option to assign colors to different calendar appointments (gmail, yahoo, bb)

3. new browser is fantastic, trackball moves a mouse cursor around that automatically recognizes text fields and lets you input without have to click select the box. much better than opera which requires you go to a new menu or the old browser where you had to click. that being said, i do find uses for opera beta 4.1 (which itself is a great improvement) beta opera works much faster, especially with wifi, is a bit more convenient to navigate because it scrolls a screen up or down if you move trackball left or right, as opposed to bb browser where you need to press the space bar.
    as others have mentioned, youtube worked fine without any tweaking other than putting in t-mobile's wap address for tcp. the only problem is, youtube is crap and i kind find anything really worth watching except family guy clips.

4. all the 3rd party programs i use are compatible with 4.5. upgrading from 4.2 was a cinch; i didn't have to reinstall the programs as they were reinstalled during the upgrade process. i did have to reenter license keys on a few of them. for those interested, i'm using:
    jivetalk, opera beta 4.1, skyscape & epocrates (both medical software), google maps, viigo, facebook

5. media: voice recording, video recording all work great. the video is crap quality, but i love it anyway. there's also an option to turn on the flash while recording video.
    music: the ability to create a new playlist is neat, but still falls far short of being useful as the process is a bit cumbersome especially if you have alot of songs. the new equalizer options are great, but don't seem to make that much of a difference, i think have good quality headphones is more important. the audio boost option seems to work better, i had a problem with the 4.2 os where i had to re-enable audio boost almost everytime i started the media player.
    you can have lots of fun sending voice notes with bb msgr.

cons:
    1. bbmsgr: contacts get messed up, everytime you reset/battery pull, your contacts are lost and you get a popup stating that you've changed your device and need to update your pin to your contacts. contacts show up as blocked (with 4.3 beta) or pending update pin (with 4.5 beta). technically the contacts are still there, with 4.3 beta you need to readd contacts in order to start a chat. with 4.5 beta, you can still start chat, but your contacts are in a separate annoying pending pin update group.
    good news however, the solution to this is to turn off contect protection, after a reboot all your contacts show up in the normal fashion. the only odd thing is that the # of contacts is doubled, so instead of 9/9 contacts, i have 9/18 contacts

2. memory leak: yes it's there and it can get pretty bad. honestly tho, it's not a big deal, i do see slow downs when i have a bunch of programs open, but it's easy enough to go to the memory cleaner in the security options and reclaim the lost memory. imho, not a big deal at all although i do hope the leak is fixed in the release version.

3. themes: the only theme that seems to work completely stable is the dimension L theme. the problem with other themes (i primarily use today+ from the official bb site) is that icons are reset and you need to hide/unhide/reorder them after every reset. not that big a deal once you get the kinks worked out as i find beta 4.5 a bit more stable than the latest 4.2.

judgement deferred:
    1. docs to go works, you only get powerpoint and word functionality, not excel which is rather important to me. to even try the premium function, you need to wait for the official release.

2. attachment download: this doesn't work yet, i think it needs to be enabled server side. can't wait until it does as it'll be great to save attachments to an sd card and edit them with docs to go.

3. bb maps: not enabled in the beta version, it'll take a lot for me to use it over google maps which works perfectly with 4.5 beta.

overall, i love the beta and find it perfectly fine to use. i do find the beta a bit more stable than the latest 4.2 after i worked out the kinks: i end up rebooting much less, especially with respect to wifi. sorry for the novella, but hope this helps people who want to try out the beta.

to digress a bit, i think rim should be more lax on releasing beta versions for the brave who want to try it out. my decision to choose a blackberry over iphone was similar to my decision in many respects in choosing pc over mac. as a moderately tech savvy consumer, i don't like being told what i can or can't put on my hardware and i love the option of being able to fiddle with it if i want to.

windows (especially xp vs vista) lets you completely brick you computer by fiddling with the registry or downloading a plethora of 3rd party unofficial software. taking this risk into account, you have the freedom to make windows do exactly what you want it to if you have the ability to use google and follow moderately difficult instructions.

in many respects, bb is analogous as you can customize it to your desires, not do what apple tells you, forcing you to choose a certain carrier or download updates that you must pay for. i fell in love with bb within a few days as i browsed pinstack and learned how to use jl_cmdr, enable vendor themes, get rid of preloaded software, etc etc. i was able to customize my blackberry into exactly what i wanted, not what was dictated by the powers that be.

the way open source software like firefox (yes i know it's available on mac too) handles beta versions provides a model for how i believe rim should handle betas. stable releases of firefox are released and the average user can just download them when updates are ready. for the advanced user, nightly beta builds are available with newer features that can be a bit buggy, but also speed up the development process as feedback arrives.
    Last edited by jikdoc; 04-08-2008 at 12:52 AM.

boosted03 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23e2f95
    I had a problem with you tube , every time i tried to watch a video my phone would reboot . I deleted a few videos form ym Mem card and it works fine . You just need some space for it to work . Does anyone else know of any other sites the BB will work on ?

jayeverette no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2437b3bd
    I really can not wait for the true release!!!

bushey no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    askplz
    So the only thing that I am interested in is whether is's possible to view html emails on that new 4.5???
    I am sick using those bbsmart readers and all that stuff as it's not always working 100% anyway!!!!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

iron07 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22bf2ae1
    Quote Originally Posted by bushey View Post
    So the only thing that I am interested in is whether is's possible to view html emails on that new 4.5???
    I am sick using those bbsmart readers and all that stuff as it's not always working 100% anyway!!!!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    yes you can view html emails

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    hehehehe finally ran a copy down I see...
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

PIN/ID
    22bf2ae1
    you will love it

CuteEvil no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2551C0B1
    Is there a BB Messenger in it?

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    Quote Originally Posted by CuteEvil View Post
    Is there a BB Messenger in it?
    Yes. They didn't get rid of probably their most popular app
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    Does your BB rearrange the icons every time you do a battery pull? I'm running 4.5 on my 8310 and every time I do a battery pull, it reverts all the icons on the screen to the original locations. I have to rearrange them every time. Is this an issue with the 8300 also?

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsNowOrNever View Post
    NEW FIND!!!!!

To get different colored apts on the calendar, just pick different email addresses to use!!!! You choose "Send Using"....and then all your emails that are on the BB pop up...all different color codes....that way you can do Work stuff in blue, or school in Green....dr apts in Purple....etc....really awesome!

I can do this on my 8130, its something that was available on 4.3 and it is cool! The only problem is if you use a today theme, on my OS the only appts that show up on the home page are the appointments for whatever calendar is set to your default. So if you don't start your day by actually going into the calendar program and looking at everything, then you may miss something.Have they been able to change this on 4.5??? Do appts from all the different color groups appear in that little list that's visible on the Today themes home page or just appts from your default email calendar?

SDinSD no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by ssnxp View Post
    Does your BB rearrange the icons every time you do a battery pull? I'm running 4.5 on my 8310 and every time I do a battery pull, it reverts all the icons on the screen to the original locations. I have to rearrange them every time. Is this an issue with the 8300 also?
    Mine did this a couple of times since I loaded 4.5. I didn't even pull the battery...I updated Google Search and it required a reboot. When it came back up all my icons were set back to what they were when I first installed the OS. It's a pain in the arse. I don't want to do a reset any time soon and have to change all the icons back again...

PIN/ID
    22bf2ae1
    my icons dont do that

johu65 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24470e33
    my i-cons rearange them selves everytime I do a bettery pull but it will be ok hopefully I dont have to do many bat. pulls
    PIN: 24470E33

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by ssnxp View Post

Nope. All the icons are where I put them!
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast