i was woundering if buy running OS from different carriers could have a affect on ... RIM Handheld OS forum

iron07 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22bf2ae1

Advertisement

i was woundering if buy running OS from different carriers could have a affect on the way third party softwear ran. like for ex- i have a pearl 8100 with 4.2.109 my viigo doesnt update unless i do each channel manually and some other appys i have had same problems with. i have tryed uninstalling the appys i have had the problems with and reloading.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: 4.2.109

It shouldn't unless it's a bad version (I think.) I have an O2 pearl in the US on T-Mobile and I have another carrier's OS and I don't have a problem. What release did you have before and did you have the problem then?

UPDATE: I'm running 4.2.1.108
    Last edited by jblackfish; 01-25-2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: add info

JjcampNR no está en línea Stack level 3

I'm on .109 and haven't seen any issues with the apps I run. The only thing you might notice using a 3rd party OS is that if you're on T-Mobile (or another carrier) and have something like "My Favs" if you update with a 3rd party OS you'll lose that.

PIN/ID
    22bf2ae1

i had 4.2.107 before. its not a reall big deal i was woundering if any one else noticed something with not being carrier specific. i am not sure why viigo wont update but i am going to try the non pinstack one see if that is different. i also have e-mobile trafic that i get some errors with and the one does bother me. thank you

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by JjcampNR View Post
    I'm on .109 and haven't seen any issues with the apps I run. The only thing you might notice using a 3rd party OS is that if you're on T-Mobile (or another carrier) and have something like "My Favs" if you update with a 3rd party OS you'll lose that.
    That's a good point, JjcampNR. I'm T-Mobile but I don't use My Favs. That's probably true of any proprietary offering from any cell provider. Other than that though, and as far as I know, (learned on this site) you can download any vendor's OS as long as it's the specific one for the device and you remember to delete the vendor file after you download the OS and before you install it.

PIN/ID
    22bf2ae1

thank you for the input guys.

Vendor specific features should be the only thing you lose by removing the Vendor.xml file and using an OS posted to another carrier's site. I'm on AT&T and there's nothing I lose, I only gain a better OS since AT&T hasn't release anything since .96.

PIN/ID
    22bf2ae1

yes why is that at&t seems so slow on this stuff?

No idea - guess they don't want the hassle of supporting multiple versions of the OS. Also, forgot to include it in my last post, but the list of current OS updates for the 8100 and all other current models can be found here: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/blog.php?b=86

It's typically updated every few days.