View Poll Results: Did you setup/enable the security lock features on your BB?

Voters
106. Register free to vote on this poll
  • Yes

65 61.32%
  • No

41 38.68%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just set password, thanks a lot for the step by step instructions.... RIM Handheld OS forum

msbrenda64 no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: 015 Making your BlackBerry more secure!

Advertisement

Just set password, thanks a lot for the step by step instructions.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Every bank I have worked for requires you to lock you PC if you step away, but we have our customers (aka you) very personal info on our PCs. You have to have keycards to get into the door and all doors have to be locked and secured. Banks really do try to keep your info safe. From my experiecnce recently it is 3rd party companies that keep failing on the security side.
    Anyhow, my BB is personal so there is nothing work related on it. I have gone back and forth on the locking. It is annoying to have to enter in the password when you want to check a message or make a call. I also hated having to enter the password into DM everytime I hook it up. Ofcourse I was using an easy password on the BB that did not make a lot of sense on a normal keyboard.
    Sigh - Maybe I should try it again.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

mjw
    mjw no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    249D663E

HI
    I am trying to push a new IT policy that forces a password , locks upon holstering and locks the handheld after 60 minutes of inactivity.. and then not let the user change it .

The first two work but the lock handheld after 60 minutes does not..[FONT=Arial] I have made the changes as listed below. is there another setting/policy that locks the handheld after a time limit.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]I set the security time out under device only first... my device was set to 2 minutes which is the default so when I pushed the policy. it did not allow me to change my setting but left it at 2 minutes.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]Then I added the set password time out... and pushed that... Still did not change the setting on the device.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]I then allowed the user to change the timeout setting pushed that and I can change the setting up to the max (60 Min).. Managment wants all devices to have this lock set to the same any ideas on how to get this to work.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]Password Policy Group[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]Set password time out 60[/FONT] minutes

Security Policy group
    Force Lock when holster

Under Device Only
    Maximum security Timeout: 60
    Password required : True

Thanks
    MJ

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

test

Matthew_Thomas no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23F8A4CE

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Does anyone know if there is any way to secure content on your media card? I have set it encrypt but i want to be able to secure that solely without having to lock my entire blackberry!! Anyone with information please help!

jpl572103 no está en línea Stack level 3

The ultimate security protection is...........................

take your memory card out.

lux
    lux no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Thomas
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Does anyone know if there is any way to secure content on your media card? I have set it encrypt but i want to be able to secure that solely without having to lock my entire blackberry!! Anyone with information please help!
    got something to hide?
    j/k

The Blackberry security software does nothing to protect the MicroSD expansion card... which is probably why you can't tell the 8100 to store certain data (like e-mail) on the MicroSD instead of built-in memory. There may be a 3rd party application, but I have not heard of anything yet.
    Summary: don't put anything on your Media card that you consider sensitive.

-----------
    RE: Toddboy71
    Should anyone happen to read through this (I only noticed this thread today) the Sarbanes-Oxley Act would not require your Blackberry to be password protected unless, for some rediculous reason, your blackberry data (or BES access rights) provides access to significant transaction flows or sensitive business information... SOX (Sarbanes-Oxley) is wonderful in that it gave IT and Internal Audit departments the power to drive some change and information/financial security improvements that were previously being neglected by many companies.

-----------

Last of all: (something to be mindful of)

Though your Blackberry may have a password, with the phone's contents encrypted - the SIM card can still be placed into a separate phone. Just because you have a password set, does not mean that you should not be diligent to report a stolen phone - some financial service organizations use your phone number to verify your identity... as an example, some credit card & utility companies will allow you to maintain your account without verifying your identity if you call from the phone number they have on file - if this is your cell phone, you may exposure yourself to problems if you do not promptly report a stolen SIM card/phone.

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack

I enables the security as per Hayden's post and not i have the blackberry protected, when on mass storage mode it asks for the password before connecting to the PC and I also have to put in my pass word to get DM to connect.

I am very happy with this as I now know my device is secure.

s16ri no está en línea Stack level 5

Did that just in case if my bb is lost/stolen (hopefully not). The only fuss (especially while I'm driving and need to make a call/sms/instant message ) is that I've to key in the password after half hour of idle state.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12