Hi guys, Just got my new torch today and wanted to share my experience with ... BlackBerry Smartphones forum

aiyssa no está en línea Stack level 2

White Blackberry Torch---Warning!

Advertisement

Hi guys,

Just got my new torch today and wanted to share my experience with those interested in getting a white Torch. So I started off buying the white torch because it looked very sharp and i had a black bold and thought it'd be time for a change. However when I got home I noticed a couple things:

Because the phone is white, those four buttons right under the screen on both sides of the track pad (the call button, menu button, back button, and hang up call button.. clearly i'm not a blackberry vocab wiz) looked SERIOUSLY distorted when their back lights were on (i.e. when i plugged it into my charger, when it's kind of dark out, at least I think that's when those lights light up). It just didn't look good all! It looked like the four buttons were super blurry.

Another issue that I had was right under the screen where it connects to the buttons that I was previously talking about.. there was a small crack running from left to right (as there should be where the buttons and the screen separate), but the crack seemed to get bigger from left to right and I could move the right side of those keys up and down a little bit.

End of story I took it back to the store and they gave me a black one which 1. solved the first problem and 2. even if the second problem is still there (which i don't think it is) it is not visible with the black torch.

Anyone else have these issues or am I just crazy? Just wanted to warn people out there to look for these things when buying a white bold!

Thanks for the heads-up. Unfortunately I think your experience is quite common, not only on 9800s but on most white versions of phones. Glad to see the store replaced it for you!

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    aiyssa, firstly, congrats on your new Torch. It´s a great BB. One of those...
    Like Mark says, white phones always seem to bring out faults. The reason for Apple´s delay in issuing a white iPhone 4, is exactly the problem of the joints looking irregular and even the correct choice o "white". Not all white shades are good. And they wear very quickly...
    Enjoy your new toy.

BigHulkDiese no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22BF6200
    aiyssa,

I picked up the white torch, after using the black torch, and I must say I am very much enjoying it. I think you must have had a messed up unit as mine has none of those problems. I will say that I had to return my black on several times because of hardware issues like the ones you described. With all these units rolling out as fast as they can, there are going to be defects. My experience was bad with the black and perfect with the white.

The biggest positive I have with the white is that it is very much harder for a small (pocket caused) scratch to show up. With the black, after two weeks of in and out of my pocket, the chrome around the screen had all these hairline scratches. This does not happen with the white.

Hope this helps someone out there, I love my White Torch!

aiyssa no está en línea Stack level 2
    That's great to hear BigHulkDiese! I hope it was just my bb, because i really liked the color (which is why I initially got it in the first place).

My step mom has a white bold and it doesn't have any of the other problems that I spoke about. I assumed it was just with the white torch but maybe it was just with my particular phone. I was kind of surprised that RIM would even put a phone out that looked so sloppy (especially with the menu key lights). But very good to know that others don't have that problem!

littleacorn no está en línea Stack Professional
    im purchasing a new white torch today and ive been hesitant because sometimes the integrity of the white is compromised, as is the case with a lot of white phones.

this all sounds somewhat mixed in reviews but im going to try my luck anyway and at the worst, ill end up taking it back and getting a red torch.

gengen17 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hi, I have a white blackberry torch for months now and i love it. I had a case for it to protect it from scratches on the case and everything. my case for the top broke but not the bottom protector case. I accidently dropped it today and had some scratches on the white parts on the top but not the screen. They aren't that bad or anything its just kinda bothering me and i don't want to get in trouble from my parents.is there any easy way to fix the scratches with some kind of paint? possibly white out or something ? lol or just buying a case on for the top of the phone to just hide it? please help thanks.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    I've never cared for any electronic products that are white, since they tend to become discoloured from use.

I like black or chrome electronic devices. These tend to look nice despite heavy use.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611