One of my users had a broken Z10. As it was still under warranty, I ... BlackBerry Smartphones forum

pjwbur no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Unable to restore BB Z10

Advertisement

One of my users had a broken Z10. As it was still under warranty, I sent it out for repair and we got him all set up on a loaner.

The repaired device has been returned, but when I try to use the "Switch Devices" application in BlackBerry Link, it will not allow me to switch the devices because BlackBerry ID is not set up on the repaired device. When I try to set up the ID on the repaired device I get a message that says "This BlackBerry ID is already in use".

How do I switch devices, or even restore a backup if it won't let me use the BlackBerry ID?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    You're not switching devices, though, are you? You're restoring to the same device, no?

If it is indeed, the same device, you should be able to use the previous BB ID. Sounds to me like maybe they sent you another refurb'd unit with a different PIN and that's why you're getting that message about the BB ID being in use on another device. Unless it's still configured on the loaner in which case you need to wipe the loaner.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    You're not switching devices, though, are you? You're restoring to the same device, no?

If it is indeed, the same device, you should be able to use the previous BB ID. Sounds to me like maybe they sent you another refurb'd unit with a different PIN and that's why you're getting that message about the BB ID being in use on another device. Unless it's still configured on the loaner in which case you need to wipe the loaner.
    Sorry, Roger... I think I made this confusing....

User had BBZ10 (A)... the device failed, wouldn't start up, battery swap did not resolve, so I sent it in for repair. The service department supplied me with a loaner device that I set up for my user BBZ10 (B).

Also, I do not have a back up from the user's device BBZ10 (A) from before it failed.

BBZ10 (A) was returned to me repaired, same device confirmed by IMEI & PIN.

When I tried to do the Switch Devices via Link, Link would not do the switch without the Blackberry ID being set up. When I tried to set it up on BBZ10 (A), the device returned an error that the Blackberry ID was in use. Without the BB ID being set up on BBZ10 (A), I cannot switch over from BBZ10 (B) - the loaner, to my user's repaired device BBZ10 (A).

Does that make better sense?
    Last edited by pjwbur; 02-04-2014 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Additional information

So it sounds like BBZ10 (B) still has the BB ID set up on it. Try doing a backup of (B), wipe it, then restore to (A). I think you should be able to do that. You obviously can't wipe (B) if you want to use the switcher to (A) since the BB ID is in use on (B).

Doesn't make sense, though that you can't use the switch wizard, despite using the same BB ID.

Tried doing the backup B, wipe, restore to A. Still get error saying "Blackberry ID is in use". I've sent the loaner back. I'm hoping it will get stripped or reset by the Service Dept and then I will be able to set the BB ID up on the repaired device.

Thanks again, Roger. I checked with my user, he doesn't have the original email. We'll wait and see what happens after the loaner arrives back to the Service Department.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Sigh! And I mean it with good intention, as I feel sorry for all this hoopla that a BB client has to go through. BB persists in having the same problems it had back with BB OS 1... Yikes!
    Good luck anyway. I hope your repaired BB will be up and running soon.