Hey everyone! I'm a BB user for almost a year now (proud owner of 8100 ... BlackBerry Smartphones forum

Luterko no está en línea Stack level 2

Switch from 8100 to 8520

Advertisement

Hey everyone!

I'm a BB user for almost a year now (proud owner of 8100 device). Lately, I was thinking of upgrading to 8520 black. Never used full QWERTY keyboard before. Can you guys post your opinions, views and experience regarding this phone? The main thing that bothers me when it comes to 8520 is that it's all in plastic. So, how bad issue that really is? Plus I like my leather pocket for 8100 and, as I understood, 8520 does not come with the one, which is kinda bad. Please, advise me on this one. Thanx!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I've made the switch from a full keyboard device to a Pearl and back again. The Pearl series with Sure Type is a little gem but I think you'll enjoy a full keyboard too. The biggest difference I remember in the adjustment is not changing from Sure Type, it was the size of the keys on the qwerty keyboard - they are smaller than the Sure Type keys!. Other than that, the adjustment doesn't take much time at all.

As far as the cases that come with the newer ones, they're better than nothing I guess but I don't use any of them. I either buy a case to suit me or do without. I now have the 8330 (a little old itself) with a Seidio case and the 8120 without anything.

Re: being worried about all plastic, etc., the world is plastic. Things that used to be metal are plastic now and I think we have to get used to that and move on.

I'd go for the 8520 if it'll do the things you need in a smart phone. Otherwise keep shopping - you can always upgrade later. Good luck in your decision.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Luterko no está en línea Stack level 2
    jblackfish, thanx a lot. You been most forthcoming!

Optimus no está en línea Stack level 3
    i also made the switch from the pearl to the curve. and i'm glad i did. the plastic look doesn't bother me at all not too mention that it isn't entirely plastic per say as the edges have a nice rubber grip and gives it a sturdy feel. i agree that the buttons are smaller but then again i don't have huge fingers so i adjusted quickly. did i mention it records video? something sorely missing from the pearls. the curve is a better, sleeker phone, hands down.

scoutken no está en línea Stack level 1
    I just purchased 8520 with the understanding that it had internal GPS and was 3G capable. I have confirmed that GPS is with and external bluetooth GPS receiver.
    Have been able to only get EDGE not 3G. Thinking that was also misrepresented. I anyone knows please advise.
    I do love the phone, new to smartphone and BB. Ken

Razen no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    256D76F4
    8520 is 3G enabled, WIFI and has GPS (in-built) just that u need to install third parties software to bring out their full functionalities..
    Love was stolen from the very beggining, so stop complaining! You are not the first

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by Razen View Post
    8520 is 3G enabled, WIFI and has GPS (in-built) just that u need to install third parties software to bring out their full functionalities..
    The 8520 does not support 3G. It supports 2.5G (EDGE). The CDMA version 8530 supports 3G (1XEV).
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611