Ok guys, after finally getting some money together I've ordered a new housing to replace ... BlackBerry Smartphones forum

ashmar0926 no está en línea Stack level 2

Stripped screws = screwed?

Advertisement

Ok guys, after finally getting some money together I've ordered a new housing to replace the original one colorware ever so politely messed up for me.

Looking over my phone today I realized that the two top screws right underneath the battery cover look stripped. Surely colorware didnt do that......

Any suggestions on how to go about unscrewing a stripped screw?.....man thats a mouth full.

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6
    If there's anything at all left of the head, you may be able to put a little graphite on the head to get a grip.

If you go to a Home Depot or Lowes and tell them you want a product to get a grip on the head of a screw that's stripped.

If there's no head left, the onlyh way to do it is to drill them out and replace them.

EZ Reregister - the original Mobile Device Application Reregistration Request Tool
    visit on the web http://ezreregister.com

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    I saw a tool on commercial a while back, where you drill a hole into the head of the screw. You then use the supplied driver and pull it out.

I totally forgot the name, but I hope that helps!

BluesDrive no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241BC149
    if you're talking about the ones that hold the front faceplate together, you could try buying a slightly bigger torx bit (bigger than 5) and taking some sort of saw or knife (or bang it up on the floor) to roughen up the edges.
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...rry_curve.html
    My detailed tutorial on painting your blackberry.

ashmar0926 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Ok now if I get them off, where can I buy some replacement baby screws so I dont have this problem again?

angryjohnny77 no está en línea Stack level 1
    im not saying it cant be done, but i wouldnt recommend you trying to do this yourself. DONT use the graphite, you'll get the dust everywhere in your phone and its not going to give you better grip, it will make it worse (graphite is often used as a dry metal lubricant). and for a screw this small, home depot wont have the screw extractor you need. take it to an electronics repair shop...the $30-50 dollars they charge you will be alot less than buying a new blackberry when you screw it up.

bajjisw no está en línea Stack level 1
    have been looking for one of those screws. No luck yet. I will let you know if anything works. Please do so also.

M1.4x0.3 as far as I can tell. Most folks stop at M1.6

bajjisw no está en línea Stack level 1
    And the dummy phones on ebay are glued shut. If you break them open, they have screws but they dont work in real phones.

lincoln2 no está en línea Awaiting email verification

lincoln2

For taking out damaged screws I always use EZ Grip Friction Drops. It works wonders. Go to ezgrip.net and order the commercial grade for working grade for around the home. I work with aircraft screws and use the aircraft grade. It works amazingly well.

melder215 no está en línea Stack level 2
    graphite is a lubricant. friction drops are valve grinding compound from autozone. dont get either near your bb as they are conductive and dirty. you need the right screwdriver for $1 on bay. not the little mini screwdriver set from china or flea market. those strip phone screws fast. you may need to drill off the head with a dremel or drill and some help. once apart you can grap remaining bit of screw with needlenose and twist out..
    you can buy a whole bb broken on ebay for a few bucks. doesnt even have to be exactly the same. just the same series (83xx) would be fine...
    whoever worked on your phone before you was worse THAN you. so keep your money, get a spare broken phone to learn on, and do mods yourself..

lincoln2 no está en línea Awaiting email verification

Stripped Screw Removal with EZ Grip Friction Drops

Quote Originally Posted by melder215 View Post
    graphite is a lubricant. friction drops are valve grinding compound from autozone. dont get either near your bb as they are conductive and dirty. you need the right screwdriver for $1 on bay. not the little mini screwdriver set from china or flea market. those strip phone screws fast. you may need to drill off the head with a dremel or drill and some help. once apart you can grap remaining bit of screw with needlenose and twist out..
    you can buy a whole bb broken on ebay for a few bucks. doesnt even have to be exactly the same. just the same series (83xx) would be fine...
    whoever worked on your phone before you was worse THAN you. so keep your money, get a spare broken phone to learn on, and do mods yourself..
    EZ Grip Friction Drops are not conductive and are rated safe to your on aircraft. You can find it at www.ezgrip.net