Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark Stone
  • 1 Post By Tech Idiot
  • 1 Post By RogerG
  • 1 Post By jfcooley
  • 1 Post By jfcooley
  • 1 Post By catstide

In my business I like to whip out my smartphone to add a quick note, ... BlackBerry Smartphones forum

Sometimes I miss my old Boldie

Advertisement

In my business I like to whip out my smartphone to add a quick note, look at an email, add or check out a calendar entry. On my old Bold (actually 2) I could do anything without even a second thought. The keyboard was awesome. I used the 9700 for a year and a half, then the 9780 for two years. About 8 months ago I started using a hand me down HTC HD7 that I upgraded to Mango, and then about a month ago I got my current S3. I think both the Windows phone and the S3 are, overall, better quality, but the BlackBerry with its keyboard and PIM abilities I still consider stronger for business use. Maybe a year from now when I'm more used to this Android I'll change my mind lol. When you're used to BB os, switching to Android and a virtual keyboard is like learning a new language.
    catstide likes this.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    We've all been there, Mark, but you're right.....after awhile you won't even miss it.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Nostalgia...

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I wonder Mark, maybe you will always hanker for it, and eye the Q10 longingly . One only tends to remember the good things so that may also make you wish you could return to the solid interface of your BB. Then there is the Google adds by Microsoft talking about their right to search your GMail for various snippets of information that advertisers would love to know, and the problems with the current version of IOS and Exchange Server, (of course Apple is working hard to fix this). Still the S3 is a really nice phone, and its very fast, great for being able to browse the web, watch videos, connect to the large screen TV etc., I have a feeling that you will prefer it to the Windows Phone, and likely will not return to BB unless BB10 really continues to develop at a high rate of knots!
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Tech Idiot no está en línea Stack level 3
    I've tried the "no keyboard" route for a while -- a few weeks -- and I just can't seem to get the hang of it. LOL. Obviously I am one of the rare exceptions. If I was forced into it and had to stick with it longer, I would like to think that eventually I'd be OK with it.
    RogerG likes this.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    I'm right the opposite of some of you guys. I always hated the physical keyboard. Thought it was a waste of space. Maybe the difference is I'm a pecker (bring it on) not a typer. I'm wondering if that makes a difference???
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

Yeah, it's way easier to hunt and peck on a virtual keyboard than a physical keyboard. You can just "tap" a letter as opposed to actually having to depress a key.
    Tech Idiot likes this.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    It takes adjustment. Different keyboards are worth trying.
    I'm starting to get used to swiping. Not very good at it but I'm getting better.
    Tech Idiot likes this.

I suck at swiping. lol

Not sure about the swiping, but as far as the touch screen -- even aside from the keyboard, I apparently don't have the dexterity to maneuver around a touch screen. I didn't think I had big fingers, but perhaps I do. LOL. My fingertip(s) easily cover and overlap the key I am hitting and the one(s) next to it. So be it, LOL.

I agree though, you have to try it, stick with it, etc. It's like learning anything new -- trial and error, nuances, learning curve, and so on. I think we are creatures of habit by nature and we fight change in many areas. Heck, I didn't want to get a laptop! LOL.

PIN/ID
    wut?
    Have you tried Swiftkey? Really helps on the missed key strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    Have you tried Swiftkey? Really helps on the missed key strokes.
    No, never tried it...and I can't say I actually know what it is...can you give a brief intro/overview? Thanks in advance.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional

PIN/ID
    wut?
    It learns your words and is pretty accurate on spell corrections. When you hit a wrong key it (most of the time) changes corrects the missed keystroke. You might not love it right away but keep using it and get used to it. I think it's the best keyboard I've used. I think it has a built in tutorial...use it to learn the tricks and how it works.
    Tech Idiot likes this.

Thank you all. Greatly appreciate it.