Dropped my phone about two weeks ago, cracked the digitizer screen on the only piece ... BlackBerry Smartphones forum

sdeeter19555 no está en línea Stack level 2

Screw size in a 9810?

Advertisement

Dropped my phone about two weeks ago, cracked the digitizer screen on the only piece of gravel in a paved parking lot... I contacted ATT, $199 for the "insurance" to cover it...so much for insurance.

I researched the deal and found the screen can be replaced, and the process looked fairly straight forward. So I bought the replacement screen and "tool kit" from the web, came well packaged and quick. Fast forward to Friday, start disassembly, based on a pretty good YouTube video only to find the T3 torx supplied in the kit won't fit the intended screw? I haven't went back to the video since the finding, as the guy filming shows each tool and its designation. The T2 is too small and its the T3 they supplied is too big. Are there different sizes of Torx bits, like SAE and metric? Does anyone know the correct size Torx to remove the six screws that I believe hold the sliding screen to the main body of the phone (these are removed after the mother board is removed and the ID sticker is peeled back)??

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Go out to the www.cnn.cn website. I believe they have videos on the disassembly as well. Maybe they tell you the right size torx driver to use.

Not sure where you got your parts, but I'm familiar with this place and they have a whole 9800/9810 tool kit:

http://www.dealsishop.com/9810.html

That's the tool kit I purchased...it no worky.

Where are you located?

Southeast Pennsylvania...I bought the tool kit and the replacement screen from dealsishop.com.

Pop into your local Ace or Lowes hardware. I bought a torx kit from Lowes made by Kobalt. I'm sure they'll even let you make sure it fits the screw before you buy it.

I asked at loses,they didn't have anything that small...

Huh. That's where I got mine. Or maybe it was Home Depot. I know I got it somewhere. lol

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by sdeeter19555 View Post
    I asked at loses,they didn't have anything that small...
    Lowes employees are hit and miss. Be sure to get the general area and look for yourself. As with all retail they get some folks that just dontt want to be bothered.

I found the issue...the driver I have appears to posibly have been dropped on the tip, which caused it to be flared. DealsiShop is sending me a replacement, so hopefully its here tonight and I can get this thing repaired! I also verified it is a T3, using a cheap driver bit set here at work (which is so tolerant bad, a T4 actually fit the T3 screw and a T6 fit the T5 screw!

Thanks for the replies.

Good deal! We'll expect to see pictures of the repaired device here when you're finished! Good luck!

Well, I was able to (mostly) disassemble the phone; enough to replace the digitizer screen. On the web videos I reviewed, the final step was pulling the LCD from the front face...mine would not "unplug" from near the four buttons under the screen? It came apart far enough to do what I need to however, took about an hour, maybe a little longer. My main issue was the old screen was frag'd, which required picking hundreds of small pieces off the face of the device, very tedious.

Reassembling took minutes, it was very quick. For $25, I saved $175 and kept my device, which was worth the effort in itself.