Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Here's why I choose not to use a screen protector, as it simply ads another ... BlackBerry Smartphones forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Advertisement

Here's why I choose not to use a screen protector, as it simply ads another layer of material which one must look through to see that beautiful bright display. Also it's rare that I find a scratch on it, as RIM uses top quality (very scratch resistant) materials on the clear plastic display covers for their latest models.

Then in this recent very rare event of dropping a steak knife on it (Yikes!), even a screen protector would not have stopped the knife from penetrating it. Since it was so easily removed with just a few minutes effort and non abrasive chemicals, it was no bid deal. Looks like new now.

After all, it's the first scratch I have experienced on any of the last 7 BB's I've had in over two years. Thus, I would much rather have a nicely polished, brilliant, clear screen to view. Than one covered with a piece of plastic which absorbs some of the light that passes throught it. It's simply physics.

One additional significant advantage to using Novus, is that it leaves a very slick clean, clear polished surface which resists skin oils. I find that If I forget to polish a new BB out of the box, it attractes a lot more fingerprints than one that has been polished with Novus.

Conversely, I do understand why many people have a different viewpoint and I respect that. It's really nothing more than personal preference, and personal choice.

Viva le choice!

jbreidel no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241EDB49
    I for one will vouch that Brasso works wonders with scratches. It completely brought my old 8700g and my old 30gb Ipod back to practically new status.

I advise if you use brasso though, use only microfiber cloth and just a DAB of it and rub it in until it glazes over, then let it dry and rub and rub and rub for a while lol...the end result is so worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by jbreidel View Post
    I for one will vouch that Brasso works wonders with scratches.
    I could not agree more.

Before I found Novus, I used a variety of different products, such as Brasso, Toothpaste, Semichrome, and a host of others.

Nothing more fun that to get an old piece of clear plexiglass to use while trying out a host of difference approaches.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Just received my shipment from Novus and have started to repair the screen on my 8310.

The #2 did a good job of removing the small scratches, but I've found that I need to repeatedly use the #3 product in order to get out some of the heavier scratches.

Archer, as an obvious proponent of these products, how many applications have you had to do in your experience to remove some heavier scratches? I think I've pretty much used up the entire sample packet of #3 Heavy Scratch Remover that came with the order and can still see some spots that will need continued work, if they'll even come out at all.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Roger

omfgpanda no está en línea Stack level 2
    After reading each and every post, im thinking about trying novus.. because I only have this 1 scratch and.. its so annoying! its a deep one, i can feel it with my nail.. so that would be considered a deep one?

also someone mentioned you can get it at a autostore.. does Auto zone have it?
    thanks.

rayvon2k no está en línea Stack level 1
    Yea it really does work

Quote Originally Posted by omfgpanda View Post
    After reading each and every post, im thinking about trying novus.. because I only have this 1 scratch and.. its so annoying! its a deep one, i can feel it with my nail.. so that would be considered a deep one?

thanks.
    You'd need to check with Auto Zone. Go to their web site and see if they carry it. Otherwise you can order it directly from the source like I did. www.novuspolish.com Order the small kit......should be plenty.

Archer didn't answer my question above on how many applications he applied, but it will definitely take you several applications to get rid of that scratch, so you need to be patient. I still have a couple of small divots in my screen that I'd like to get out, but for the most part, the stuff does work well.

Good luck!

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Very cool. If my BB gets a scratch (knock on wood) I will try this out.

But for now...would this work on sunglasses? LOL
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

mcm180 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    mcm180

thanks.
    Sorry to hear about that deep scratch - it hurts me just to think of my baby being that hurt. Good luck with fixing it.

I've used a product on my iPod that worked well on my last BB called applesauce
    Last edited by mcm180; 05-07-2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: add link

Quote Originally Posted by lucky13mt View Post
    Very cool. If my BB gets a scratch (knock on wood) I will try this out.

But for now...would this work on sunglasses? LOL
    Yes it would.

It comes with three different formulas to clean and polish, remove fine scratches and remove heavy scratches.

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Yes it would.

It comes with three different formulas to clean and polish, remove fine scratches and remove heavy scratches.
    Great, thanks.
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Archer didn't answer my question above on how many applications he applied,!
    Yeah had a conference to attend yesterday... You know that thing called work, hey but I'm not complaining! It pays for my BB's & my new Porsche 911 GT2, I have #6 of only 200 brought into the US.....

As far as Novus, I highly suggest that anyone who decides to use it understand that you Must buy all three grades #1,2,3

Otherwise you are wasting your time. You just do not know until you begin working on it what it will take.

As far as how long to rub? Start with #2 and be prepared to spend some time until you see progress. Every scratch is different. The key ingredient that will assure you of success_patience_

Just remember a microfiber cloth is critical. Then be willing to work at it and you will be very surprised and happy with the results.

I haven't come across a scratch I could not fix.

Cheers....
    via: Red BB 8310

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Yeah had a conference to attend yesterday... You know that thing called work, hey but I'm not complaining! It pays for my BB's & my new Porsche 911 GT2, I have #6 of only 200 brought into the US.....

As far as Novus, I highly suggest that anyone who decides to use it understand that you Must buy all three grades #1,2,3

Otherwise you are wasting your time. You just do not know until you begin working on it what it will take.

As far as how long to rub? Start with #2 and be prepared to spend some time until you see progress. Every scratch is different. The key ingredient that will assure you of success_patience_

Just remember a microfiber cloth is critical. Then be willing to work at it and you will be very surprised and happy with the results.

I haven't come across a scratch I could not fix.

Cheers....
    Absolutely.....buy the whole kit! You don't need to get the large size bottles unless you really want to. The 2oz bottles would be plenty as you don't use a whole lot of the stuff per application. The purchase I made directly from Novus came with a sample size of each product, along with some cloth for applying it, so it's a good deal. You will definitely want to get some microfiber cloth as Archer suggests.

And no worries, Archer! I appreciate your insight!

omfgpanda no está en línea Stack level 2
    I know this is a dumb question but.. for blackberries is the whole screen LCD? including the outside part? or is it a plastic cover over it?

I know this is a dumb question but.. for blackberries is the whole screen LCD? including the outside part? or is it a plastic cover over it?
    Thanks for asking, as there is no such thing as a dumb question.
    The BlackBerry display is comprised of two major components.
    1) The actual display
    2) The plastic cover

Therefore if you do not like plastic screen films, just enjoy it the way it is. That's what I do & find the clear plastic is extremely scrath resistant.

Cheers!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast