Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

N8DBB 's very popular thread became too long so is continued here. To see previous ... BlackBerry Smartphones forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

How To ReInstall OS When Computer Won't Recognize The Device Is Connected 2

Advertisement

N8DBB's very popular thread became too long so is continued here. To see previous discussion which may be useful the old thread is closed but still readable here.

Problem: When trying to re-install an operating system that constantly intializes, Desktop Manager will not recognize the device.

Solution: The following walkthough!

Thank you to Pentace for this excellent walkthough:

FYI this will work for any handheld that constantly initializes.. aka the hourglass of doom.

1. Install the desktop software.
    2. Install the handheld software. (If it is a non Vendor software.. exp. T-Mobile. search and delete the "vendor.xml" file.)
    3. Pull the battery out of your device.
    4. With the battery out connect the device to the computer.
    5. Go to Options and select "connection settings"
    6. Select USB PIN this may take a few moments since there is no battery in the device. you might even have to select detect device in some rare cases.
    7. Select the application loader icon.
    8. Select all software you want installed.
    9. Proceed to the end portion untill you see the "Finish" button.
    10. Very IMPORTANT. do not hit the finish button, instead select the ADVANCED button.
    11. Make sure both boxes are checked.
    12. Proceed until it asks you if you want to automatically back up and restore. Select DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY BACK UP MY HANDHELD.
    13. Once the process starts. take care not to bump out the cord and re-insert the battery. Again on some rare occasions you might have to wait until it finishes saying connect to insert the battery.

THIS MAY FAIL THE FIRST OR SECOND TIME DONT WORRY JUST KEEP TRYING.

If you do not get it by the 3rd time.. download the Blackberry java developers kit and install it. once installed find the javaloader.exe file and move it into the c:\ directory

Once it is under the c:\, go to start then run and type. cmd.exe

After the command prompt apears type in "c:\javaloader -usb wipe" to wipe the handheld

*The reason I have highlighted Step 13 is that this is very important to do BEFORE the DM tries to re-start your device because it WILL NOT re-intialize your device IF THE BATTERY IS NOT IN YOUR DEVICE.
    Last edited by azstar; 01-28-2009 at 10:12 AM.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Good move, and just to keep things together here is a link to an article from the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center that has a different method to try if the above becomes too frustrating. KB03485 - Run Application Loader when the BlackBerry device does not connect

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

tabbibus no está en línea Stack level 1

hourglass of death

Hello all! I've read most of the original thread... very insightful. This is my story. I have a BB 8310 with 4.2 OS. I decided to give 4.5 a whirl and during the instalation I got a fatal error (don't remember the number) and after that the BB only showed a white screen with a black bar across.

I followed the steps in page 1 and It seems to go all the way in reinstalling 4.5 but after it finishes the BB stays with the never ending hourglass of death.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks! I hope this thread is still read.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by tabbibus View Post
    Hello all! I've read most of the original thread... very insightful. This is my story. I have a BB 8310 with 4.2 OS. I decided to give 4.5 a whirl and during the instalation I got a fatal error (don't remember the number) and after that the BB only showed a white screen with a black bar across.

I followed the steps in page 1 and It seems to go all the way in reinstalling 4.5 but after it finishes the BB stays with the never ending hourglass of death.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks! I hope this thread is still read.
    Sometimes it can take longer than an hour for it to do the initial reboot. 20 to 30 minutes is common but an hour plus is possible and it should load up in time. If not post back and we can see what we can do.

tabbibus no está en línea Stack level 1
    thank!

I waited and 15 minutes later it was back up and running!

flem no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Can't finish the updating, still reset

Hello,

I can start the Application Wizard. In the "Updating your device", the first step (Load JVM and system software) is working, but at the second step "Wait for device initialization", my BB still do his reset (Red light and hourglass), so the Application Wizard can not continue. What can I do ?

Thank you.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I am not sure I am understanding your issue. Are you saying it gets to the second step and won't work because your device is in a rebooting loop?~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

flem no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by moderncowboy View Post
    I am not sure I am understanding your issue. Are you saying it gets to the second step and won't work because your device is in a rebooting loop?~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Yes, the wizard finish the step one (the BB do not reset at this time) and at the step two, my BB restart to reset?
    Last edited by flem; 02-01-2009 at 11:09 AM.

lone_palm no está en línea Stack level 1
    Had a problem on an 8700g tonight. Tried to download the mobile app from tuneusin.com, and then my BB started resetting and got the hourglass. Waited 15 minutes and it kept doing the same thing (black screen, red light, then hourglass, repeat) Took out the battery and tried again.

Now following these steps because the OS was older anyway, so I downloaded the update. I can connect using this procedure and the process starts - however I get a multi-stage load error part way through.

Suggestions?

Marissa_C no está en línea Stack level 1

Question

I'm having the same problem. My computer won't recognize my BBerry either. Just the red LED & that's it. It came on yesterday, worked absolutely fine all day & now it's back to zilch.

mx711 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have tried all this just to find an error at the end of download.....i need advice fast or even over the phone

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    mx,

Please provide a little more information on what you are experiencing here.

What device do you have?
    What steps have you done so far?
    What is the error you are getting?

apred no está en línea Stack level 1

PC won't recognize BB

I was trying to update my 8310 BB. During the update process my PC got hung. I disconnected BB, reboot my PC, after that my BB is comletely dead - only LED is flashing in series of 1 long and 3 short flashes and even PC won't recognize 8310 any longer. I tried to recognize it with Javaloader without any luck. In response to C:\Javaloader -u deviceinfo I am getting a message - unable to open port. Any ideas?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by apred View Post
    I was trying to update my 8310 BB. During the update process my PC got hung. I disconnected BB, reboot my PC, after that my BB is comletely dead - only LED is flashing in series of 1 long and 3 short flashes and even PC won't recognize 8310 any longer. I tried to recognize it with Javaloader without any luck. In response to C:\Javaloader -u deviceinfo I am getting a message - unable to open port. Any ideas?

Yeah, how many times hare you attempted the process in the Original Past of this thread? Anything less than 4 tires, try again.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by apred View Post
    The first thing I would try is going into c/rogram files/common files/ research in motion/ app loader and attempt to load it via the loader file from there.

If that doesn't do it I would uninstall DM and delete the c/program files/common files/ research in motion folder then reboot your PC and reinstall DM. Reboot again and then connect your BB and restart DM.

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast