Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Roger tipped me off to the BBSAK and I checked out the site. Thanks again ... BlackBerry Smartphones forum

Tech Idiot no está en línea Stack level 3

Problem with Desktop Manager...BBSAK?

Advertisement

Roger tipped me off to the BBSAK and I checked out the site. Thanks again Roger.

So, the genesis of this is I have a major problem with DM. Verizon has tried to resolve it, so has RIM/BB...but to no avail. For whatever reason, my "current" (although a version or two ago) DM was not working. It was not recognizing my device as well as a few other issues. Everyone has "uninstalled" it -- and it will not completely uninstall. RIM/BB tried to install both a new and old version, and they won't properly install. Obviously something wrong with my laptop they say. OK, thanks. LOL.

Anyway, I want to back up my device and get a new Bold 9930 ASAP. But I cannot lose my data. I know there are ways to sync or "back up" emails, contacts, calendar, etc. My email, contacts and calendar will automatically sync with my new BB, so I don't think that's a problem. However, I don't want to lose pictures, videos and text messages.

Other than DM, which backs up the entire device...can I back up the entire device...all data...with BBSAK?

Thank you in advance.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Sounds like you need to go into the registry editor and delete some stuff related to the Device Manager. You said you're not technical, though, so this might not be the best option for you.

Lookie what I found from our long lost friend N8DBB. http://forums.pinstack.com/f75/how_t..._manager-5127/

It's dated, but the regedit stuff should help you.

I don't think BBSAK is as good as backing up data as DM is.

There are a few ways you can back up text messages. Here's one I found on AppWorld: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/98984/

The media you can drag and drop onto a media card or to your PC if your PC recognizes the device as an additional drive.
    Tech Idiot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Sounds like you need to go into the registry editor and delete some stuff related to the Device Manager. You said you're not technical, though, so this might not be the best option for you.

Lookie what I found from our long lost friend N8DBB. http://forums.pinstack.com/f75/how_t..._manager-5127/

There are a few ways you can back up text messages. Here's one I found on AppWorld: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/98984/

The media you can drag and drop onto a media card or to your PC if your PC recognizes the device as an additional drive.
    My tech person tried the registry move. He deleted a ton of stuff, and it took a long time. I read through the entire thread and that is just way above my head, LOL. Question -- is the Revo Uninstaller an option? The last post says it does all the steps. Maybe I could pull that off.

Also, at this stage, I am thinking DM is just not an option.

The media...meaning pictures and videos? I have a media card in my Bold now. It might be full. Don't know, I'll check.

So I get a media card, save everything to the media card and then use the media card in my new BB? I think the Bold 9930 doesn't have a media card, slot, etc.

I'll have to check and see if my laptop recognizes the device as an additional drive. If if does, I just drag and drop from the device to the laptop? What about media that's on the media card? Can you drag and drop there as well?

Thank you...again...Roger.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Can they not back you up at Verizon?
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

Yes, the Bold should have a media card slot, and yes, you can drag and drop either to the card or to the PC. If your device is recognized from the PC, it will also see the media card.

Good point from the Cat. The VZW store might/should be able to do all this for you.

Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    I called Verizon and they said they can back up contacts, calendar, email, and I think that was it. No text messages, videos or pictures. I am going to call a friend of mine at Verizon and check with him. Thanks for the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    Yes, the Bold should have a media card slot, and yes, you can drag and drop either to the card or to the PC. If your device is recognized from the PC, it will also see the media card.

Good point from the Cat. The VZW store might/should be able to do all this for you.
    I'll check with the Verizon store. I had called Verizon (the 800 #).

Does the store use DM?

I am willing to wipe the device clean (I have to in order to send it back to Verizon in exhange for the new one)...but I want my texts, videos, and pictures. Once I get the new BB -- it will sync to my laptop and my emails, contacts, calendar will populate...I hope, LOL.

All that stuff should be stored on the BES system, so yeah, that's not a problem. Just use the drag and drop method if your PC recognizes the old device. Then you know you'll have it right there in front of you when the new device arrives.
    Tech Idiot likes this.

Thanks Roger (I seem to be saying that a lot -- and I mean it, thank you!).

Actually, I was thinking of borrowing a laptop, downloading DM, doing the back up, then syncing/moving everything to the new BB and then deleting everything off the laptop (so my data is not on the laptop when the next person borrows it). That might be the simplist way. I am getting a new laptop soon, but a new BB first, LOL.

On the other hand, if the Verizon store can back up everything -- I'd just walk right into the store with the new BB and be done.

Thanks again.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    You may want to boot into Safe Mode and try the full uninstall. Ensure that something isn't running in the background that's keeping it from uninstalling all the way. The fact that Verizon and BlackBerry themselves can't walk you through a clean uninstall doesn't surprise me much. I did hundreds of clean uninstalls and never ran into an issue. Also of note though, I haven't dicked with DTM for a while now and there may be new labels under the registry.

Out of curiosity, what version of DTM?
    RogerG likes this.

Is this still an option for me to do a complete back up...since I am having trouble with BBDM?

Is there anyone I can hire to do a complete back up for me via remote?

Thanks in advance.

I got a new laptop...downloaded BBDM...and it doesn't seem to be connecting completely to my old BB.

Any options? I want to do one more complete back up and then buy a new BB.

Thanks.

Did you try BBSAK? We could also try and "force" DM to recognize your device.

You're in the wrong forum, by the way. Didn't you join the other one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast