Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Hi All, I bought my Curve 8520 used and have updated to OS5 onT-Mobile with ... BlackBerry Smartphones forum

PunkinPistolero no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    3163BA7F

PLEASE HELP - CURVE 8520

Advertisement

Hi All,

I bought my Curve 8520 used and have updated to OS5 onT-Mobile with a data plan. It started giving me the WSD (whitescreen of death) and freezing the function keys; keyboard and track pad afterI updated a highly recommended FREE app on BB App World called “Battery Watch”. Before the update, the app was not showing anyadvertisements, and no problems with the unit. These problems started after the last update for this particular app.

I tried several battery pulls rebooting the OS, getting a verified security check, and every time as soon as the app started up, it would give me the WSD and the keyboard, function keys and track pad were in-operative. The app is booting up on startup and I am not able to successfully uninstall it beforeI get the WSD and everything freezes.

Additionally, since the unit was used when I bought it, the rubber was starting to break on the housing, and it was really scratched up. I ordered a full OEM 8520 housing assembly and changed out the unit with a full housing replacement (track pad, logic board, speaker, keyboard, screencover) and tried again.

Upon startup I am still having the same problem, except now the track pad functions horizontally, not vertically. From all my research I am thinking I need to do a un-install and re-install of OS5.

1st: Could this corrupted OS be the culprit with the keyboard, function keys and track pad becoming un-operative since it was this way before I performed the change out?

2nd: Can I keep all my data (except this screwed up app “Battery Watch”) with a new OS5 install? Two repair companies have advised me – “generally they can’t save my data with a clean OS install on a Blackberry”. I have read online with BBSAK my data CAN be saved.

3rd: I did not get a disc w/BB Desktop Manager for T-Mobile when I purchased the unit used. Will BBSAK work for a BB Curve 8520 with OS5, using whatever the current T-Mobile Desktop Manager is available for download from T-Mobile website?

I am at my wits end and would realllllly appreciate any help you all can give me…

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Your post was auto-moderated because of all the formatting you put into it, so I edited and approved the post. Now I'll read through it and see what we can do to help you.

Okay, it sounds like you just need to delete this app from your device, at which point you should be able to boot up, do a backup, then reload the OS on the device.

With BBSAK, you can most definitely delete this one app, so please download and install BBSAK to your desktop and let us know when you've done that so we can walk you through the process.

PIN/ID
    3163BA7F
    Thank you Roger....This is a start!!! I guess the few repair companies I have found in the ATL don't use BBSAK . Currently I am in the process of getting a new computer at home...But I have a friend that may be able to help me. That's why this has been so d@#$ frusterating for me! I can't put BBSAK on my (job) workstation since I don't have administator priviledges . I will get back to you as soon as I am ready to continue. Sorry about the formatting...I appreciate you didn't reject my post here

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    What OS did you upgrade to. Official TMO or something else. I agree with Roger on the app you downloaded but some OS's have some strange querks to them. I've been with tmo for a long time, but have not ran the 8500 series

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

No worries, we'll getcha back up and running.

PIN/ID
    3163BA7F
    I upgraded from the original 4.6 that came on it to 5.0 last year. I upgraded it by checking from my phone to see if my OS had an update and it came back that OS 5 was available for download. I did it all from the phone without going to the T-Mobile site and it has been working great. OS 5 is faster and it has been running great. Until I was notified by BB App World that "Battery Watch" had an update available. Within 24hrs after the update i started having issues. The version of "Battery Watch" I had before the update ran fine and the window where it was to have advertisements did not have any. Then after the update, I started getting advertisements showing in that window. Almost immediately once the advertisements came on, the phone slowed down and started having WSD, keyboard and function keys started freezing ---- causing me to pull the battery thinking this would fix the problem. I couldn't even turn the phone off or on unless I pulled the battery.

I researched WSD and the #1 fix is to pull the battery, wait and then re-insert it. I beleive I broke the OS further doing this too many times.

The last time I tried to re-start it, it went through the steps, took me to my home screen, (even my alarm went off) and as soon as I tried to dismiss the alarm...WSD, keyboard in-operative, menu keys in-operative --- and the track pad will scroll horizontally - not vertically and will not work if you engage it by pressing it in the center.

And, by the way this app has a multiple star rateing and rave reviews on BB App Wprld.... duh

Thank you all again for trying to help. I feel better already since I found a place I can at leexplain it.

PIN/ID
    3163BA7F
    Good Afternoon All,

I downloaded the latest version of BB DTM, OS5 and BBSAK. My friend was able to turn me on to a person that read my post here and is pretty sure he can fix my phone....YAY!!!

I will get back with all and let you know how it goes...

Thank you all ..... I have realllllly learned a lot here from browsing posts and posting this thread here

Besides the fact that there are really genuine and competant souls providing help to people like me .....Nothing is ever truely FREE...There is always a cost to pay

Will be back soon with an update on my phone
    Great people show thier greatness by the way they treat little people...

Well, we're anxious to hear what's happening!

And stick around! We'd love to have you here to hang out! We are definitely a friendly and helpful lot.

Our 8th anniversary is coming up in July. Last year we had a big anniversary celebration and gave away lots of cool stuff. Rumor has it that might be happening again this year!

PIN/ID
    3163BA7F
    Thank you Roger!!!

Although I can't really help anyone software wise (that's like the blind leading the blind)
    I did do that housing assembly changeout all by myself from studying the videos on YouTube

There is so much information here software wise and I really want to learn as much as I can.

I confess, this is my 1st smartphone and I realllllly liked this Blackberry vs a touch screen (touch screens are a nightmare for a person with long nails) I know it is not the top-of-the-line, but I am comfortable with it.

If it can't be resurrected....wellll I am definitely going to need advice on buying another for sure

I think we'll get you back in working order. It's just a matter of removing the .cod file for that offending app via BBSAK.

Then your device should boot normally and we can do a fresh install of the OS.
    lak611 likes this.

PIN/ID
    3163BA7F
    Good Morning All,

The latest Chapter: Yesterday I provided my techie friend Andre with my phone and on a flash drive - BBSAK and the latest editions of OS 5 and BB DTM (7.0) straight from the BB website. He did a clean install of everything and was able to bring up my phone in safe mode only, but BB DTM is not reading that the phone is even there??? Also, he was able to verify that all my data (mp3's, voice notes & pics) was on my memory card too YAY!!!

So, what is the next step to get BB DTM to see the phone? Is there another mode of bringing it up so that BB DTM will recognize it is there??? Any ideas are welcome Thank you all

PIN/ID
    3163BA7F
    Forwarding this info to him now....

Thank you Roger
    RogerG likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast